Lining gun cabinet

aris

I feel the need to line the inside of my cabinet with something to prevent dings and scratches. Any suggestions? Carpet tiles came to mind, but they can be quite thick (and every inch counts).

Lined both of mine several years ago with grey felt bought from Dunelm shop. A tin of cheap impact adhesive stuck it in place. It only took me a couple of hours to do and it's lasted and worn very well. Looks very high end when finished and also deadens the 'tinny' cabinet sound a bit.

The only thing you’ll prevent “dings & scratches” being imparted to by lining the inside of the cabinet is the cabinet!

Far better to be generous in the size of cabinet so if you have 5 rifles purchase one that accommodates 10-guns so there’s plenty of space between each.

It’s when removing a rifle and returning it to its sleeping position within a full cabinet that the scraps & scratches occur.

But what do I know!

K

I've lined mine with floor protection matting, v cheap from any DIY / building suppliers. It's nice and slim circa 3mm and very easy to cut and fix (contact spray adhesive).

The only damage I have done due to cabinets is smacking a muzzle on the lip of the door (not possible to pad this bit), and scope turrets vs wood.
That said, a lined cabinet does look nice.

Hmmm. Tricking up the inside of my cabinet to make it look good isn't on my bucket list really. The floor of it does have a bit of that felt stuff on it, but that apart, like Kenchblaize, the walls don't cause any damage to my guns. More likely to be the guns falling out with each other. And the only way to really guard against that is space.

The only thing you’ll prevent “dings & scratches” being imparted to by lining the inside of the cabinet is the cabinet!

Far better to be generous in the size of cabinet so if you have 5 rifles purchase one that accommodates 10-guns so there’s plenty of space between each.

It’s when removing a rifle and returning it to its sleeping position within a full cabinet that the scraps & scratches occur.

But what do I know!

K
lol i think alone the same lines two rifles in a five gun cabinet plenty of room for the mod,s too

Use carpet designed for campervan conversions. It has a bit of stretch and comes in rolls with spray adhesive. I bought a kit from eBay for not much money.
Had a look at that - quite economical - under a tenner for 2m²

I'm in two minds about gluing it on and making a mess if I ever need to take it out or replace it. Perhaps i'll figure out a way to afix magnets to stick it to the inside.

I use battery powered magnetic PIR LED lights - and it works wonders being able to look inside your cabinet!

Had a look at that - quite economical - under a tenner for 2m²

I'm in two minds about gluing it on and making a mess if I ever need to take it out or replace it. Perhaps i'll figure out a way to afix magnets to stick it to the inside.

I use battery powered magnetic PIR LED lights - and it works wonders being able to look inside your cabinet!
Doubt you would need to replace it but if you did you could just layer it over the top. It's really easy. Cut to size and dry fit. Spray the adhesive and then fit it.

I have used a thin rubber door mat for the floor and shelves and some 3mm foam for sides where the scopes could touch

You have given me the idea to affix insulation sheets (the sort that go under wood flooring for underfloor heating), very much obliged!

Back