Links to current legislation

Shootist

I am often surprised at the lack of knowledge, the occasional lack of interest in, and the occasional self righteous bloody minded dismissal displayed on this forum (and many other shooting related forums)about deer stalking and firearms laws. Personally, I think such things are rather important to know and understand.

The reason I am posting this is to ask the powers that be behind this forum if they will try and put up some links, perhaps on a 'sticky' on this section, of all relevant firearms and stalking legislation. Most is fairly easy to track down but some is very not so. I've had the devil of a job tracking down the current statutory instrument on legal firearms and ammunition for Scotland, and in fact I still can't find it for sure. Such a reference would be of great help and save a great deal of time for members of this forum.

It is intensely annoying when a legitimate question is asked that responses from some give an answer without explanation or reference on a 'because I say so' basis, without reference to any legislation, expecting their assumed legal knowledge to be sufficient. Any discussion on the law should include reference to the legal issue being discussed. Otherwise it ends up with poorly phrased wording ("Expanding ammunition" being the classic non sequitur), or is just plain wrong.

Such a 'sticky' would be easy to maintain once installed and would be extremely useful to those who understand the maxim "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Pedro

Shootist, as I'm sure you are aware the legislation as it applies to firearms and indeed other related matters is contained in a myriad of Acts, Regulations and Home Office Guidance documents, along with stated cases in the courts. The government recently spurned the chance to consolidate firearms legislation as part of the latest tinkering (at least some of which was advantageous, it has to be said). Such is the unwritten constitution that this fair land subscribes to and indeed has had from around the time the Romans left us to our own devices, unlike the constitution of the USA, by comparison, which is written.

There are a number of reasons why this remains so. Probably one of the main ones is that there has historically been a large proportion of MPs who are, when not endeavouring to run the country, busy being solicitors or barristers and, of course, the befuddled laws of the land, not only being as organised as my sock drawer, take a lot of interpreting (unlike my sock drawer). Manna from heaven for the legal profession.

For the same reason, I do wonder if the learned people that bring us this great site might be reluctant to embark on publishing links to other sites that give, or purport to give definitive information concerning legal matters. Even the .gov site has been known to be out of date. Whilst a defence of "It said it was all right on The Stalking Directory" might not hold much sway with the authorities, it would not, I suspect, be the best image to portray.

Shootist

For the same reason, I do wonder if the learned people that bring us this great site might be reluctant to embark on publishing links to other sites that give, or purport to give definitive information concerning legal matters. Even the .gov site has been known to be out of date. Whilst a defence of "It said it was all right on The Stalking Directory" might not hold much sway with the authorities, it would not, I suspect, be the best image to portray.
I perhaps was not clear. I can't stand the sites that purport to give expert opinion without quoting the relevant act and section. As a tester, try some sites that should know better about the use of expanding ammunition. They make a complete pigs ear of it nearly every time.

What I would hope for is links to mainly legislation.gov sites, perhaps with links also to relevant CPS and Home Office guidance. People should be able to find and read these things themselves. But thanks for the input.