Load developing - Looking for bullets to try in Aberdeenshire 243/6mm

mine2209

Hi,

Just getting into reloading and starting to think about bullets and loads. Wanting to try out Serra 100grn game kings and the Hornady 100grn interlocks spbt?

Wondering if if anyone would be willing to sell me a hand full of each so I can see if they group before I go buy 100 to find out my rifle (t3x) hates them.

Im near Torphins, I know some companies do sample packs for this purpose but I've not seen anywhere nearby.

Many thanks in advance.

Sam

stubear

I've also heard the 85gr Interbond is worth a look - Great ballistic coefficient due to the plastic tip but the expansion is not as mental as say an SST or Ballistic Tip as its a bonded bullet.

I'm working up loads in the .308/165gn variant at the moment and thus far I've had some great groups with 41.6gr of RS52, and I'm going to try a few hotter loads as well to see if I can find an accuracy node there.

takbok

I can give you a few 70gr blitzkings. I go through Torphins on my way back from Stalking on summer evenings.

Malxwal

Sam, I may have some factory rounds, I'll have a look when I get home in a few days. JockStalk might have something, local too.

JockStalk

Sam - pm me. Funnily enough, I picked up a box of 100gr boat tail Gamekings at lunchtime today.

Also have a few nosler 100gr. And you can try as many 95gr FMJ Matchkings as you like :D

Last edited:

mine2209

Cheers for the reply, I will let you know I am currently thinking about 87vmax for everything but deer on recommendation from from mates down south, but I will have a look at the 70 blitz kings. I'm hoping to be able to do everything with two rounds and am going to try my best not to just try every round out there lol. But never know I may PM for next week for a few... cheers

malx- cheers for the reply what factory rounds use them? Never know I may have already tried them

And cheers Jock I have PMd you

sam

Last edited:

mine2209

Good news and thought I would share the results, thanks to JockStalk I got some of the 100gr Gamekings to try out, I loaded up a few at the min charge of 37gr H4350 and they did stabilise through my Tikka T3 lite. Not a world class group but no keyholing and just over 1MOA at 100m.

I figure if they stabilise at the min charge then should be fine as I work up. I'll be picking up a box the next time I am through at the gunshop, and working up a load when I get a chance.

Also he was kind enough to donate some Nosler partitions too although I didn't get chance to try them out yet.

JTO

There was a thread where people seemed to think a 1:10" twist would not stabalise a 110grn .243 bullet, no matter what was tried.
I've never had a .243 but always think of 85grn as being the standard weight bullet, but I know someone who swears by 95grn Federal BT factory ammo.

Last edited:

NigelM

I have a 1:10 twist 6mm Lapua. Will not stabilise 100g GameKing but will stabilise 100g ProHunter. Doesn't like 90g Accubonds either. Absolutely loves 70g BK's.

Malxwal

Really sorry, completely forgot. However, have had a look, and my remaining stuff is Federal and Geco. The Geco I'm fairly sure will be 105gr stuff. The Federal stuff I'm really not sure, I had a heap of 100gr Gameking SPBT stuff, but this round looks like the bullet has a canellure, I should really disect one to see what the bullet is. To be clear, these are rounds I got with a rifle many years ago, and were not in factory packaging but are not home loads.
Welcome to them if you want.

JockStalk

Good news and thought I would share the results, thanks to JockStalk I got some of the 100gr Gamekings to try out, I loaded up a few at the min charge of 37gr H4350 and they did stabilise through my Tikka T3 lite. Not a world class group but no keyholing and just over 1MOA at 100m.

I figure if they stabilise at the min charge then should be fine as I work up. I'll be picking up a box the next time I am through at the gunshop, and working up a load when I get a chance.

Also he was kind enough to donate some Nosler partitions too although I didn't get chance to try them out yet.
glad you found the game kings worked Sam.