Load Development 200gr ELD-X

Biathlonjimmy

I've had my 300WSM for about 4 months and after using it with 165gr Interbond under 69gr of Superformance. It worked well, I've taken a hind and goat on the hill, roe (bit much) and had first rounds hits on magpies at 316 and 408 yds with these. The light bullet does not really fulfil the potential of the 300WSM hence the change.

After switching from 165gr Interbonds I have started the load development process again.

I purchased 2kg of Reload Swiss from Mik at Dolphin Gun Company. Great guy with an awesome armoury and highly impressive workshop.

After choosing a powder, RS70 with Rem 9 1/2 magnum primers, once fired Winchester brass I completed the brass prep. Interestingly when full sizing with the redding dies they encourage you to back the die off a full turn, size the case, try it in the rifle and if tight, turn the die down incrementally until it just fits in the chamber. This may be sop for some but new to me. The result is the elimination of excess headspace.

I Loaded three rounds to 2.862 OAL in each powder weight from 63.5gr to 67.5gr in 0.5gr increments. 27 rounds in total. yesterday wasn't the best day with blustery showers but time is short. The first groups were ok I did have to concentrate on technique as the recoil from the 200gr projectile was fairly stout. I let it slip towards the end after pausing to let the barrel cool a bit and readjusting. The 66.5, 67 & 67.5 will have to be shot again because my shooting was poor.

Very early stages but 65gr (middle) look promising with a group of 0.4". The plan is now to load 15 rounds of 65gr to see if the groups are repeatable. I'll re-shoot the final weights also. No pressure signs were showing at 67.5gr.
LD.jpg Left to right, top middle then bottom from 63.5 -67.5. Note the poor shooting on the last three groups.

Hope fully the 65gr load will be repeatable.

Below is a 5 shot group after load/dev with the 165gr interbonds. a respectable 0.22" group.

165gr 5shot.jpg

If I can get the repeatable accuracy I achieved with the lighter bullet I should have an excellent LR plinker and Hill rifle.

Attachments

srvet

I've had my 300WSM for about 4 months and after using it with 165gr Interbond under 69gr of Superformance. It worked well, I've taken a hind and goat on the hill, roe (bit much) and had first rounds hits on magpies at 316 and 408 yds with these. The light bullet does not really fulfil the potential of the 300WSM hence the change.

After switching from 165gr Interbonds I have started the load development process again.

I purchased 2kg of Reload Swiss from Mik at Dolphin Gun Company. Great guy with an awesome armoury and highly impressive workshop.

After choosing a powder, RS70 with Rem 9 1/2 magnum primers, once fired Winchester brass I completed the brass prep. Interestingly when full sizing with the redding dies they encourage you to back the die off a full turn, size the case, try it in the rifle and if tight, turn the die down incrementally until it just fits in the chamber. This may be sop for some but new to me. The result is the elimination of excess headspace.

I Loaded three rounds to 2.862 OAL in each powder weight from 63.5gr to 67.5gr in 0.5gr increments. 27 rounds in total. yesterday wasn't the best day with blustery showers but time is short. The first groups were ok I did have to concentrate on technique as the recoil from the 200gr projectile was fairly stout. I let it slip towards the end after pausing to let the barrel cool a bit and readjusting. The 66.5, 67 & 67.5 will have to be shot again because my shooting was poor.

Very early stages but 65gr (middle) look promising with a group of 0.4". The plan is now to load 15 rounds of 65gr to see if the groups are repeatable. I'll re-shoot the final weights also. No pressure signs were showing at 67.5gr.
View attachment 82186 Left to right, top middle then bottom from 63.5 -67.5. Note the poor shooting on the last three groups.

Hope fully the 65gr load will be repeatable.

Below is a 5 shot group after load/dev with the 165gr interbonds. a respectable 0.22" group.

View attachment 82188

If I can get the repeatable accuracy I achieved with the lighter bullet I should have an excellent LR plinker and Hill rifle.
Assuming there were no changes in scope settings I would say there is a node between the right hand group on the top line and the centre group in the middle. Am I right in thinking 64.5 to 65.5. After that it goes to pot a bit with point of impact varying and elevation all over the place. I would load up some more between these powder weights and shoot for group with 0.2g increments. If you can beg borrow or steal a chronograph this would also be really useful to use to detect minimum in extreme sorest and standard deviation for the group. If the node can be more accurately identified then I would vary seating depth at 10 thou, 30 thou, 60 thou off the lands.
You have the makings of an exceptionally accurate setup I suspect! Keep us posted!