Load Testing Targets

TriggerPull

Just bought a printer for my daughter. Going to be handy for shooting, too!

Anyone got any links to good load testing targets?

Many Thanks

caberslash

Don't use circles.

Seriously, if you use a scope with any type of crosshairs just use right angles (corners of card of paper mounted relatively level on the target board).

Line up right angle with intersection of crosshair, if need be this right angle can be put over a different colour to add contrast.

How the hell do you aim in the same place on a dot with no reference point?!!

Alantoo

Don't use circles.

Seriously, if you use a scope with any type of crosshairs just use right angles (corners of card of paper mounted relatively level on the target board).

Line up right angle with intersection of crosshair, if need be this right angle can be put over a different colour to add contrast.

Interesting...I did try both square corners, and four arrows coming together for a while but didn't get on with either of them too well.

I found a Ø1" O/D Ø1/2" I/D black ring on a white background very precise for 100yd / 100 metre shooting. You can balance the quadrants of the inner white circle very readily both elevation and windage with a 12x scope and most thicknesses of cross hairs.

I found trying to position a black or white corner precisely into just one quadrant of the reticule was hugely dependant on the thickness of the reticule bars.

I modified the basic SD ring target and produced the five ring version for Round Robin load development and practice... @csl redrew it and named it "target-4-new" and published with those in @8x57 's link. Try it and see if it works for you and your scope.

Alan

caberslash

I found trying to position a black or white corner precisely into just one quadrant of the reticule was hugely dependant on the thickness of the reticule bars.

Not had this problem with a first focal plane scope, always zeroed at highest mag and then zoomed out to lowest to verify.

But everyone is going to have preferences, just looking at the sheer number of reticles available, it's staggering!

Rider

I find targets printed on regular white paper quite suboptimal. It soaks at the faintest drop of water, it tears very easily and it has too much of a glare for good contrast. And printing black stuff on it even makes it hard to see the holes through the scope.

I prefer round, red stickers pasted on the back of regular matt carton targets.

A4A9251B-B7CE-411F-AAA6-1DF6B7A9810A.jpeg

alberta boy

I use this for zeroing.
Zeroing target
Regards
JCS
Those are very similiar to what I use for my scoped rifles . I find them easier to maintain the same point of aim . When using iron sights , not a common occurrence for most on here I know , I use a 6in x 6in medium blue square . I've found a medium blue colour is easier to focus on than black . If anyone here does any iron sight shooting , give it a try , you'll probably be surprised at the difference .

AB

kenbro

Don't use circles.

My eye can automatically find the centre of circles, and, I believe most other people’s eys can.
Ken.