Loading tomorrow, last minute tips ?

nick100

Got a day out loading tomorrow on a nearby estate, it's been a long time since I last went.
Has any one got any last minute tips and advice please ?
I am presuming it's double guns.

Cheers,

Nick.

goathunter1

Take plenty of cartridges in with you! Be ready for the first birds. Take with the left, give with the right. Wear safety specs. Be professional. Plus a million other bits!

rick6point5

Dont tell em how to shoot, unless they are askin & only congratulate the very best shot birds, it will all come back to you after a min or 2
​atb

nick100

It went well all things considered.
When your gun says 'I have got a new pair of guns you may have to put me right', I was not really expecting them to be so new to him that they still had a tag tied on the trigger guard !!

We were no 5 on the first drive, so straight in to the thick of it.
Only to find out that one gun was VERY tight to open. Brilliant.
Then to top it all off they did not eject too well. In fact, over half time neither gun ejected.
A long day, but enjoyable all the same.

jamross65

I used to load 2 or 3 days a week at partridges and pheasants throughout the season plus a few days at grouse. Had the pleasure of loading for some outstanding shots including Ian Marsden, the Commonwealth Games clay pigeon gold medal winner a few times. I knew Ian already but hadn't really watched him shoot before. What an eye opener that was!

I also used to load for a married French couple that came over each season, he shot with a pair of 12 bores and she shot with a pair of 16's. They always shot alternate drives and occasionally the drives were return drives at the partridges. 4 guns and two lots of different shells made for an interesting and tiring day!

BSAvale

It went well all things considered.
When your gun says 'I have got a new pair of guns you may have to put me right', I was not really expecting them to be so new to him that they still had a tag tied on the trigger guard !!

We were no 5 on the first drive, so straight in to the thick of it.
Only to find out that one gun was VERY tight to open. Brilliant.
Then to top it all off they did not eject too well. In fact, over half time neither gun ejected.
A long day, but enjoyable all the same.

​Sounds like it went ok with not ideal guns then...loading and then grouse reminds me, I need to take you up on the moor before the season finishes on 10th December.

Bumble

I do a fair bit of loading, and although you are sometimes presented with a matched pair of roughly the value of your house, this is not always the case.Loaded for a nice gent the other week who said his pair were a `work in progress`and he wasnt sure if the ejectors on one would work properly.His gunsmith hadnt completed the work.Sure enough one was a pain.He hadnt shot in quite some time and said he wasnt sure if he was confident enough to do it.
We went through a few dry runs at the first peg and the day went well.

If anyone is looking at doing some loading it can be good fun, and although you gets some arrogant dicks, i`ve never found it myself.All the guns i`ve loaded for have been pleasant.Lucky i guess.Depending on how prestigeous the shoot, you might find yourself introduced to somebody very high profile, a lordship maybe, who gives their name as Tony, or Chris.
On the peg i tend to speak if i`m spoken to mostly, i take a full cartridge magazine, and loaders bag to the peg as its a bit disastrous to run out and some of the drives its not unknown for a gun to fire off more than 250 carts.Not a good idea to smoke on the peg even if the gun happens to.I dont give advice unless asked, unless its something safety related.If double gunning i always ask how much they`ve done and if they would like to do a few dry runs.Its often the case that they`ve not done much if any, but thought it would be nice to have a matched pair.Dry runs before the whistles blown give the gun and myself a bit of confidence that we can work as a team.