Local lockdown can I still go shooting

kip270

Hi,
Looking for some advice, I’ve emailed BASC & FEO looking for some info/advice if I can still go stalking as my permissions are in Dorset but my local area is on lockdown......
Haven’t had any info from either as yet.
Can’t find any info on gov site either....

stubear

Unfortunately I suspect this is going to be a repeat of the discussions that were had earlier in the year when we were on full lockdown. All you're going to get on here is opinions.

Your best bet is going to be to email your FEO and see what they have to say, and ultimately what its going to come down to is what would happen if you were stopped by plod whilst out stalking. If you dont get a reply then I would call them up and ask for a response in writing so you have something to show to anyone who might stop you if you are out should your FEO have said previously its ok to go.

My gut feel is if your local area is on lockdown then you probably cant go as that rather defeats the object of being locked down in the first place. Given its now been criminalised to break lock down rules and there are huge fines in the offing I would suspect the party line will remain "being found in breach of lockdown regulations will be looked upon dimly when it comes to your suitability to own firearms".

This is all my opinion of course, the only person who can tell you one way or the other is your FEO - you need to get something in writing from them.

Apthorpe

I, for one, can't understand why an FEO should be considered an authority on lockdown laws. If you go and it's off limits it's not an FEO who's going to be stopping your car and potentially fining you.
Given the number of fines issued thus far, it seems like the chance of ending up with any trouble from it is vanishingly low - having said that it's pretty obviously against the spirit of the local rules. I don't think many people would have much sympathy with the idea that you have to travel 100-odd miles to carry out a deer control or vermin control function. If, on the other hand, you're just going for a drive to test your eyesight.....

There was some sort of belief in the last lockdown that breaching a lockdown regulation would get your FAC revoked, but that seems a pretty silly suggestion - even though firearms departments may have been claiming they would. I haven't heard of anyone losing their driving licence for that reason - even though there is a much clearer legal avenue for such action with driving licences.

andyk

I wouldn't want to be advising you but I am willing to give you my own take as someone who lives in an area of local lockdown.

The regs where I live say (in normal speak) that I cannot go into another person's house (and possibly garden) either within the lockdown area or outside of it. Otherwise, I can meet with others outdoors, in pubs etc so long as I obey the rule of 6.

There are no prohibitions on where I can go on my own or with members of my own household, so long as they do not involve being in a group of more then 6 or entering another household.

Therefore, I do not see that there is anything to stop me going shooting either within or outside of the lockdown area (I have been doing so outside of it).

I also cannot see anything which would stop me going further afield if I stay in a hotel room, self catering etc so long as the rule of 6 is observed and I do not mix with another household as per the regs.

Indeed, unless the rules change I have every intention of going to the BASC Hockwold scheme in November and doing just that, staying in a room, on my own, and not breaching the rule of 6. I have no intention of asking the FEO's permission as I do not need it, I am not breaking any rules and I'll make my own mind up about guidelines.

I would suggest looking at the current lockdown regs (as published as a regulation on the government website) for your area to see what is allowed and what is not.

I would be a little wary of 'advice' from anyone in authority as there seems to be an awful tendency of those in authority to say what they would 'like' you to do /not do and not what you 'have' to do/not do. I fear that asking your FEO could be making a rod for your own back as he may come back and say (without any authority) that you cannot go anywhere. If you then ignore him you are likely to find yourself in more trouble than if you don't ask and maintain that you have done nothing wrong (assuming that is what the regs allow) when you have not, as that way you will not be challenging his authority.

CarlW

I wouldn't want to be advising you but I am willing to give you my own take as someone who lives in an area of local lockdown.

The regs where I live say (in normal speak) that I cannot go into another person's house (and possibly garden) either within the lockdown area or outside of it. Otherwise, I can meet with others outdoors, in pubs etc so long as I obey the rule of 6.

There are no prohibitions on where I can go on my own or with members of my own household, so long as they do not involve being in a group of more then 6 or entering another household.

Therefore, I do not see that there is anything to stop me going shooting either within or outside of the lockdown area (I have been doing so outside of it).

I also cannot see anything which would stop me going further afield if I stay in a hotel room, self catering etc so long as the rule of 6 is observed and I do not mix with another household as per the regs.

Indeed, unless the rules change I have every intention of going to the BASC Hockwold scheme in November and doing just that, staying in a room, on my own, and not breaching the rule of 6. I have no intention of asking the FEO's permission as I do not need it, I am not breaking any rules and I'll make my own mind up about guidelines.

I would suggest looking at the current lockdown regs (as published as a regulation on the government website) for your area to see what is allowed and what is not.

I would be a little wary of 'advice' from anyone in authority as there seems to be an awful tendency of those in authority to say what they would 'like' you to do /not do and not what you 'have' to do/not do. I fear that asking your FEO could be making a rod for your own back as he may come back and say (without any authority) that you cannot go anywhere. If you then ignore him you are likely to find yourself in more trouble than if you don't ask and maintain that you have done nothing wrong (assuming that is what the regs allow) when you have not, as that way you will not be challenging his authority.
Excellent post.

kip270

kip270

Thanks guys, still no response from either BASC or FEO, so will have a look at government site 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

andyk

PS, this is the sort of thing I mean, the reg itself:

The government guidance can give an indication of how the police will interpret but also tends to fall into the trap of saying what they would like, not what they can compel.

It is worth checking for recent amendments though, I've noticed that the govt is not always updating the published regs as quickly as I would like to think it should...

Cadex

Government Ministers are unable to give a solid answer at the current time so I think any advice from a lowly FEO can safely be taken with a pinch of salt.

Heym SR20

The only advice somebody in authority can give is:

“stay at home, don’t go out, pour alcohol over yourself all the time and certainly don’t see anybody”

or words to that effect. If they said anything else everybody would jump down their throats.

so in answer to OPs question - you have to decide for yourself. Are you travel restricted or not. If you are, are you travelling to work or is your journey essential.

and then will you be mixing with lots of people or not?

i am intending on going stalking in a couple of weeks time and I will probably take a tent. Will I see any body - no.

Klenchblaize

Government Ministers are unable to give a solid answer at the current time so I think any advice from a lowly FEO can safely be taken with a pinch of salt.

You call him/her that if you wish but I'll have you know mine is given of exemplary stature!

And before anyone asks my renewal is at least 2-years away.

K

wboulter

I'm also in the same situation I was supposed to be going to scotland next week stalking I've booked accommodation that's all sorted but they did ask me ring on Monday just to make sure because things are changing daily I've listened to Mark drakeford and he said you still allowed go on holidays I class this as a holiday so am I write I've also been told that the police are using npr cameras all though I think that's a bit extreme

stubear

Dont disagree with this - the main thing being if I've got an email from my FEO saying "yeah you're probably ok" and then some local plod wants to cause aggro I can hold up said email and say "but I was told it was fine".

Its all just a*se covering lets be honest.

Klenchblaize

Deer Management is NOT "sport" and you don't need DSCL2 to demonstrate that's what you're engaged in.

That is provided you actually shoot the critters rather than just admiring them before waving them on!

K

Hornet 6

Hi,
Looking for some advice, I’ve emailed BASC & FEO looking for some info/advice if I can still go stalking as my permissions are in Dorset but my local area is on lockdown......
Haven’t had any info from either as yet.
Can’t find any info on gov site either....

All the new rules are very simple and easy to follow unless your looking to wriggle round the ones you dont like.
If you area is in lockdown, then so are you, no you can't leave the area, and most importantly the people in the area that is not locked down don't want you there either.
Like I said its very simple, just abide by the rules. You may not like it, (I don't) but as a nation we voted Boris in, and now we have to live with the consequences.

Neil.