London plane

plonker

Morning all,anyone have any experience of burning London plane in a wood burner.Got the opportunity of a fair few tonnes.Looking online it seems a tough bugger to split and and has a rating of 3 out of 4 for burning,but the comment that comes with it is that (it burns pleasant)??
Where as all the other 3out of 4 rated woods has excellent for burning!
Is there something that they are not telling me about London plane?:-|
Thanks all
Dave
ps it's not for burning next season but the season after (24 months)

I've just done a carving in a piece of LP, and it carved fairly well. With that in mind, considering that my carving chisels went through it nice and easy, i can't see how it would be hard to split.

Its Very similar to Beech I found. :)

I've heard it described as rich mans sycamore. Never used it myself, but if it's split & dried properly anything will burn :cool:

Hi have used it for cabinet making once planed the grain is very much like beech, i have burnt the offcuts in the woodburner and it was fine, maybe not as hot as oak but if the price is right go for it,

I deal with a great deal of firewood every year and have not found a wood which when seasoned properly will not burn, if it's free or cheep take as much as you can as it's not cheep buying it from dealers.

I have found it to burn well when seasoned, and to saw easily when wet - I saw by hand.
Splitting was made tricky by a very twisted grain in some bits, but not impossible.

i did the entire wheelhouse out on a 70 ft fishing boat with london plane ,lace wood for my son ,it cost s fortune ,i did burn some of the of cuts in our rayburn it burnt very hot ,but it was bone dry and small pieces ,i found it abrasive on the saw when i slabbed it down from the logs,and nearly impossible to steam bend

I deal with a great deal of firewood every year and have not found a wood which when seasoned properly will not burn, if it's free or cheep take as much as you can as it's not cheep buying it from dealers.
I intend to take as much as I can if the price is right.
Thanks gents for the replys,now to see what it's going to cost:thumb:.
all the best
dave

quarter sawn london plane is beautiful (lacewood) used as facing by guitar makers for its beauty not sure of its burning qualities but love it on guitars. :) regards sbm

Thanks all. I never knew it was called lacewood. Come to Paris and burn a few more of the bloody things! Horrible pollen and drops those terrible fluffy seeds that you end up swallowing and don't do you any good at all! Fell and burn them all I hate them! And never knew as a veneer or as panneling it was called lacewood.Thanks!

I had to check:

London Plane (Lacewood): Platanus x hybrida
English London plane and European Plane supplied as a Lacewood
Distribution
London, or European, Plane is native to Western Europe.
Description
London Plane is a hybrid of American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) and Oriental Plane (P. orientalis). The wood of London Plane trees is predominantly comprised of the sapwood, with some darker heartwood streaks also found in most boards. The sapwood is white to light pinkish tan, while the heartwood is a darker reddish brown. London Plane also has very distinct ray flecks present on quartersawn surfaces—giving it a freckled appearance—and it is sometimes even called “Lacewood,” though it bears little botanical relation to the tropical species of Lacewood. London Plane a fine and even texture that is very similar to maple. The grain is usually straight. Weight 615 kg/m3; Specific gravity .62.
Properties
Plane has medium strength in most categories, this and it’s low stiffness make it very good steam bending material.
Seasoning
Plane dries quickly with little degrade. There is small movement in service.
Working
Plane will work well both with hand and machine tools, the wood glues, stains and polishes well, bringing out a beautiful finish.
Durability
Plane is a perishable wood and the sapwood is liable to beetle attck but it is permeable to preservative treatment.
Uses
Plane is used extensively in furniture and cabinet making and also in joinery and light construction.
NOTE: Lacewood is quarter cut Plane that produces a highly decorative flecked surface which is ideal for panelling. This timber is limited in volume and regarded as a special product.

Back