Looking for a suitable 1” scope to mount on a double rifle for driven boar.

Sika98k

A friend of mine, who doesn’t do internet, has asked me to find him a low powered 1.5- something to fit on his double Chapuis.
The problem is it has low 1” einhak rings on it so essentially I’m looking for a straight tubed 1,5-5 scope of 1” diameter.
What’s out there ? Any suggestions ?

devonair

If he's on a budget how's about......
20190314_000323.jpg
(prob not if he has a chapuis ).....
It's a Visionking 1.5-5 x 32 and I have to say it's not bad, illuminated red/green circle guaranteed for 1yr under £60!
Got mine on a 12g/.308 combination gun and it seems to be coping ok

Heym SR20

Been through this pain myself with my combination gun. The trouble is that all modern driven scopes are now on a 30mm tube which makes them bulky. Much has been due to need for a wide angle scope on the AR type platforms.

For 1” tubes you are looking older second hand scopes. The Nickel Marburg, Zeiss etc 1-4x15 are really nice - if you can find them. Have a look on eGun.de - you might get lucky.

Your best bet is to have a good look through the Leupold scopes - they do or did severely straight tubed 1” scopes in the 1-4x20 range. Their latest iterations all seem to now be on 30mm Tube. I nearly went for for VX2 a few years ago, but the duplex reticle on low mag was difficult to see. The Hog version has a thicker reticle. The recommendation above for VX3i is a good one. You may have to import it though.

The Beretta Gallery in London did have a few 1” Leupold sand might be worth a call.

What sort of bases are on the double? It might be worth considering a little red dot Docter type scope. These are very small and light. If you have claw mounts, you can get a base that goes into the rear mount. Alternatively you can have a rib drilled and tapped for a small weaver type mount.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Sika is your friend certain that his rings are 1", is it possible if they are older rings that they could be 26mm?

Heym SR20

Been through this pain myself with my combination gun. The trouble is that all modern driven scopes are now on a 30mm tube which makes them bulky. Much has been due to need for a wide angle scope on the AR type platforms.

For 1” tubes you are looking older second hand scopes. The Nickel Marburg, Zeiss etc 1-4x15 are really nice - if you can find them. Have a look on eGun.de - you might get lucky.

Your best bet is to have a good look through the Leupold scopes - they do or did severely straight tubed 1” scopes in the 1-4x20 range. Their latest iterations all seem to now be on 30mm Tube. I nearly went for for VX2 a few years ago, but the duplex reticle on low mag was difficult to see. The Hog version has a thicker reticle. The recommendation above for VX3i is a good one. You may have to import it though.

The Beretta Gallery in London did have a few 1” Leupold sand might be worth a call.

What sort of bases are on the double? It might be worth considering a little red dot Docter type scope. These are very small and light. If you have claw mounts, you can get a base that goes into the rear mount. Alternatively you can have a rib drilled and tapped for a small weaver type mount.
Following on from my previous post I first got a little Nickel Marburg of 1960's vintage. Its a reticle moving scope with a German No 1 reticle in the first focal plane. IMG_4520.JPG

It's a nice little scope but never got around to fitting it. Optics are good but field of view is not nearly as good as more modern scopes.

I picked up an end of line Schmidt & Bender 1-4x20 again with a post reticle which I mounted and used, for a couple of hunts. It's compact and light but a 30mm tube and the reticle is in the FFP so fine at low power - which is actually when you want it chunky so you can pick it up quickly - attached picture is on 4x IMG_3231.JPGIMG_3232.JPG

I was then offered a Docter 1-4 Comfort with just a red dot - trying this out. I am not sure my eyes like the red dot though - I have a stigmatism in my left eye (my shooting eye) and red dot is not a dot - more a star which is irritating. Both of these scopes weight just under 500g.

The little Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm | Leupold - is just under 300g - this is what I would go for if doing it again, but I would get it from Leupold's custom shop with a German No 4 Reticle - oh no I can't - they only sell in the US.

Going back to the OP, having read a lot about doubles you have to be careful about regulation - a heavy (or even a light) scope may well alter how the rifle recoils and thus how the two barrels shoot. I have read that some doubles that mounting a scope can really upset the regulation so that the barrels do not shoot close to point of aim.

Last edited:

jer

A friend of mine, who doesn’t do internet, has asked me to find him a low powered 1.5- something to fit on his double Chapuis.
The problem is it has low 1” einhak rings on it so essentially I’m looking for a straight tubed 1,5-5 scope of 1” diameter.
What’s out there ? Any suggestions ?
If he is using the rifle for driven I would take a look at the Aimpoints, I've used both those and low powered scopes for driven and in my opinion nothing beats the aimpoint even out to ranges beyond 100 mts on boar.

Sash

If he is using the rifle for driven I would take a look at the Aimpoints, I've used both those and low powered scopes for driven and in my opinion nothing beats the Aimpoint even out to ranges beyond 100 meters on boar.
+1

But, does he REALLY need a scope on a Chapuis, or does he just think he does, because other guns have one?

I shoot a Chapuis 9.3x74r side by side and my friend shoots an FN O/U in the same calibre. We have been shooting together on the same driven shoot in France for 5 seasons now (he has been driven shooting for >30 years) , and neither of us use a scope. We are (sometimes well) above the bag average every day: good field craft, and quick target acquisition beat expensive optics when you are shooting driven boar, IMHO.

A Chapuis should handle like something between a 20 bore and 12 bore. So my advice would be to practice on the clay range, and don't get hung up worrying about zeroing the scope etc.

But if he DOES want a 1" scope, I have a Leupold 1-4x20mm (non-illuminated) for £200: tried it on a combination gun, and didn't do it for me

HandB

At the moment I have got a 1" tubed Leupold VX2 1-4x20 on my T4 and it is a little gem (see photo below). It mounts low and is half the weight of my Schmidt and Bender Klassik 10x42 but with acceptable optical quality (good brightness, medium resolution). For example, during my last Bisley session just for a laugh I shot it at 600 yards on the 1x setting and actually managed to get quite a few fours and fives with at one point 3 V bulls in a row.Leupold Vx2 1-4 x 20 on T4.png

jer

+1

But, does he REALLY need a scope on a Chapuis, or does he just think he does, because other guns have one?

I shoot a Chapuis 9.3x74r side by side and my friend shoots an FN O/U in the same calibre. We have been shooting together on the same driven shoot in France for 5 seasons now (he has been driven shooting for >30 years) , and neither of us use a scope. We are (sometimes well) above the bag average every day: good field craft, and quick target acquisition beat expensive optics when you are shooting driven boar, IMHO.

A Chapuis should handle like something between a 20 bore and 12 bore. So my advice would be to practice on the clay range, and don't get hung up worrying about zeroing the scope etc.

But if he DOES want a 1" scope, I have a Leupold 1-4x20mm (non-illuminated) for £200: tried it on a combination gun, and didn't do it for me
Great that you guys are using open sights to good effect and I totally agree that quick target acquisition and fieldcraft are essential for success, however as much as I would love to use open sights on the boar my eyes are not as good as they used to be and I find that the Aimpoints are just an amazing bit of kit that will definitely improve your target acquisition and accuracy. When boar are running full tilt across a narrow forestry ride and a very quick snap shot is required it makes all the difference, its each to their own with these things but I would say that 90% of the guys I have done boar trips with over the years use Aimpoints.

Sika98k

Sika is your friend certain that his rings are 1", is it possible if they are older rings that they could be 26mm?
They are definitely 1”. Currently a rather ropey Leupold scope with a German No1 is adorning it. VX3, or some of the other suggestions seem to be the way to go.
Thanks everyone for the advice.