Looking for help w/ sauer 202 dimensions.

Axxxel

Hello,

I have a custom project in mind and I'd love some help from a Sauer 202 owner.

What diameter is the barrel under the clamp that fixates it to the receiver?

Also, what is the outside diameter of the clamp part of the receiver?

I'd appreciate if someone would get their calipers out next time it's time for gun cleaning.

Cheers

Greener Jim

I can't help as I don't own one but what is the project? Sounds interesting.

Also, I would post an introduction in the introduction section as you're supposed to do that before posting in the forum proper.

Axxxel

I'm looking at making a custom receiver and I'm exploring what rifle I could gut for parts. Might not amount to anything but I'm really curious about the s202 dimensions. Specifically the smallest possible receiver. Don't know if that's 308 length or 30-06 length, whichever would answer my question.

Cheers

Greener Jim

Well a 308 can be made shorter than a 30-06 but receiver diameter usually is the same. Is it length you're trying to reduce? Also, why are you not going for the usual threaded tenon?

bbrc

As far as I know sauer 202 have 2 actions, standard and magnum. they then have various bolts
For standard action there is a 3 lug bolt for 223, a 3 lug bolt for 243 and 22-250 and a 6 lug bolt for 308, 270, 25-06, 30-06 etc
For a magnum action all bolts are 6 lug and the barrel tenon is larger and therefore doesnt fit the standard action.
I only have standard 202's and the dimensions of the tenon is 26.98mm, the dimension of the outside of the action at the tenon area is 34.4mm.

Southern

I'm looking at making a custom receiver and I'm exploring what rifle I could gut for parts. Might not amount to anything but I'm really curious about the s202 dimensions. Specifically the smallest possible receiver. Don't know if that's 308 length or 30-06 length, whichever would answer my question.

Cheers
You would have to make a bolt, too, to match the lugs. The Sauer locks into the barrel, not the front receiver ring, like a Mauser, Win M70, Rem M700, and other rifles with screw-barrels.

A less expensive route than a Sauer 200 or 202 would be the SIG SHR 970. All three are very similar, built by Sauer. You could buy an entire SHR 970 rifle for the cost of a Sauer 202 barrel, and build your receiver around the bolt, barrel and trigger. Don't know how you could improve on any of these.