Looking for new game dealer in Wilts/Hants area.

UK Outfitters

SaOsborne

I have learned today that Blackmoor Game, the dealer I have been using for 6+ years now is closing shop as of February (not sure when), so far no more detail given.

We have Hampshire game on the doorstep, but he won't collect and last time we enquired was about 30% below Blackmoor's rates. I will try him of course, but am looking for any "rated" dealer in the wilts/Hants area that pays up in a timely fashion, is reasonable and fair and pays average rates. As this is for a syndicate, who all drop to 1 chiller, collection would be ideal.

Open to any suggestions/ experience of ones to go to and ones to avoid.

Last edited:

sh1kar

I have learned today that Blackmoor Game, the dealer I have been using for 6+ years now is closing shop as of February (not sure when), so far no more detail given.

We have Hampshire game on the doorstep, but he won't collect and last time we enquired was about 30% below Blackmoor's rates. I will try him of course, but am looking for any "rated" dealer in the wilts/Hants area that pays up in a timely fashion, is reasonable and fair and pays average rates. As this is for a syndicate, who all drop to 1 chiller, collection would be ideal.

Open to any suggestions/ experience of ones to go to and ones to avoid.

Yikes I hadn't heard that Put about 60-70 carcasses a year through them Please add me to any alternative suggestions

S

sh1kar

I have just been on to BMG . Situation is that the Farm on which their processing premises are is being sold. V likely they will have to move and are looking for alternative premises. They intend to continue the business but obviously may be a down period. I have suggested they join SD so they can at least do a bulletin on status so we know where we all are, as they risk losing their trade as this thread shows. they are not in financial difficulty and continue to pay bills Fallow £2kg Roe £2.40kg
S

sh1kar

Just received the following email I thought would be useful to post

Good afternoon Sh1kar

I believe you have spoken to Michelle today concerning some comments on a public Forum and the future of Blackmoor Game.
Unfortunately l don’t have access to this site but l would like you to hear the truth from us direct as it seems so many rumours are flying around everywhere.
The bottom line is we have been trading for over 30 years and hope to continue to do so.
The stumbling block we are facing at the moment is that the farm is rented and now the owner wants us to vacate in the coming months.
We do have a few options, one of which is to relocate but this is not something that can be done overnight.
In the meantime we will be continuing to purchase and sell using our cold stores until we can seek alternative arrangements.

You are more than welcome to comment on the forum if you feel the need to do so and we hope to continue purchasing your game in the future.
Any questions please call me.

Kind Regards
Janet Sole
Blackmoor Game Ltd
Wield Wood Farm
Upper Wield
Alresford
Hampshire
SO24 9RU

Tel 00 44 (0) 1420 563831 Fax 0044 (0) 1420 563894

SaOsborne

Hi Sh1kar,

I have too had a discussion, but it wasnt quite so positive, the owners are nearing retirement and are looking to retire as a result, but MAY continue, if they find an alternative premasis, looks gloomy right now, hope not as we put a lot of deer through them.

paulbshooting

Thanks for the update. Keen if alternatives get recommended and or if BMG get sorted. Janet, Michele and the team have always been really helpful and take all my deer. Gutting for them after 30 years in the business and now being forced with a relocation or closure.

ashray

you have pauls by beacon hill if they are still going. a very good game dealer would be vicars game in berks but too far for you to travel,they used to collect but not sure if they still do. hope you get sorted.

paulbshooting

Email out today from Janet at BMG to clarify, business as normal but scaling back now pheasants finished. They will be moving but no plans or dates as yet.

SaOsborne

All we can do is hope then, still looking, others available, but rates are poor, going to make a lot of difference to us loosing much to Kg.

SaOsborne

Thank you all for your ideas, I am contacting a few, though Derek at wiltshire game wont respond after initial contact, clearly dont want business?

SaOsborne

Just recieved this from Jan, they seemed miffed, thats what happens when you dont tell people whats going on i am afraid!

Good Morning

Please excuse the impersonal way of getting this email to you.
However, it seems that speed is of the essence after we have been hearing of several rumours circulating concerning the future of Blackmoor Game Ltd.
In order for you to hear it direct from us this is the quickest way to stop the rumours.

First and foremost, Blackmoor Game is a strong Company and it is certainly not in Administration.

Many of you will already be aware that our tenancy farm was sold some 3 years ago and the new owner has always had plans for the site.
As we have come to the end of this shoot season, now is a good time to scale down the business which is why we have chosen not to rear this coming summer.
This will give us some time to pursue plans to relocate the business in time for the next shooting season. (It seems some people have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 6 !)
Unfortunately though, this has resulted in some staff including drivers being made redundant but in order to move forward this was not something we could avoid.

We will be continuing to operate from our cold store for both sales and purchases and would therefore like to continue doing business with you wherever possible with the venison etc. now that the birds have come to a close.

We would respectfully ask you to let those concerned around you know the true situation direct from us.
In the meantime if you have any questions please call us at the office.

Kind Regards
Peter, Chris and Janet Sole
Blackmoor Game Ltd
Wield Wood Farm
Upper Wield
Alresford
Hampshire
SO24 9RU

Last edited:

Hunt-Inter

Thank you all for your ideas, I am contacting a few, though Derek at wiltshire game wont respond after initial contact, clearly dont want business?

Derek is a bit feral and doesn’t have great people skills. Give him another call but guess £2.20kg type

AndrewT059

you have pauls by beacon hill if they are still going. a very good game dealer would be vicars game in berks but too far for you to travel,they used to collect but not sure if they still do. hope you get sorted.

Pauls Only paying 80p lb for fallow as i just discovered,

kennyc

have spoken to Vicars this week, they have never collected they are purely turn up and get weighed/paid off

ashray

did you speak to alan? he is the boss.perhaps things have changed! still good people to deal with though

Last edited:
Leica Amplus 6