Looking for scope help and advice

Scots_stalker

Hi guys. , well my shooting 2mates have been going to Germany for the last few years shooting boar. I've not been able go for various reasons , and due to Leigh's extension this year I said no again.
So imagine my surprise when they both chipped in this year to take me as a 40th birthday present :D:D:D
The only fly in the ointment is my scope on my 308 , it's a crappy hawke that came with it

it so my question is what kinda scope should I be using ? What kinda money is involved ? And do any of you guys have anything suitable for sale ?

​Brian

User00003

well my 6x42 is for sale, but you may not want a 6 power. personally I think it's fine and I'd be happy using it, PLUS, it's perfect for anything back at home! AND,, it could be with you on thursday morning, ready for the weekend ;)

...I'm really trying here! ha ha ha

Glendine

Brian,

I cannot give you much advice regarding the scope. Im going on my firsr driven boar hunt later this year. I would say you wont be waiting to long on this forum before the advice comes flooding in. However the reason for my post I hope you have a great trip and by the sounds of it from your post re: the extension etc you have being through a lot over the last few years I think you deserve a good hunting trip abroad.
The very best of luck.

Regards,
Glendine.

Mick9abf

Brian,

if its driven you ideally want a red dot scope like an aimpoint or an illuminated reticle with maximum 2.5 magnification. I prefer a dot or basic crosshair as you will have enough distractions ;)!!

if its high seat stuff under the moon you again ideally want an illuminated reticle but can get away without one as I have done on previous occasions but 50mm/56mm objective is preferable.

a good idea which would cover everything would be a 1.5 - 6 x whatever or 2.5 - 10 x 50mm illuminated as the stuff will be fairly close and often moving.

Someone might even be able to lend you something suitable if its for a one off. Best if luck and enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll let us know how you get on.

Mick

Scots_stalker

Thanks guys. I shoulda said it will be high seat , i dont think i am upto driven shooting yet

Last edited:

Scots_stalker

well my 6x42 is for sale, but you may not want a 6 power. personally I think it's fine and I'd be happy using it, PLUS, it's perfect for anything back at home! AND,, it could be with you on thursday morning, ready for the weekend ;)

...I'm really trying here! ha ha ha

​illuminated ??

ejg

2.5-10x50 is an ideal size which will cover most needs. Germans often have two scopes for one rifle with quick change mounts.
The 2.5-10 mag is just ok for driven shoots as well as high seat.
I shot my first boar running past me at about 10 yds with a 2.5-10x52 old school Zeiss.
Have a look at the Kaps-Optik range of scopes. Very good quality, made in Germany at a slightly better price.
edi

Leica Amplus 6