Looking to get into stalking

Looking for any help to get into deer stalking, live in Kent willing to travel, whether it’s shooting or accompanying someone shooting and watching how it’s done all the experience helps
regards
andrew

Chasey

FOr the sake of others like you who are seeking help to get into stalking let me explain

I can take you stalking no problem but I dont have the land available to me to teach you to shoot

QED its beneficial if people such as your self can outline briefly their experience with a rifle so I can decide if its OK to let you have a go at shooting an animal

The animals welfare (in so far as it deserves a quick and humane death) being my primary concern

Even then its a risk as I have met many who can punch small holes in paper who cant shoot something as significant as a deer.

So my advice to you and others seeking this sort of help is to outline your ability / experience with a rifle and (to some extent more importantly) your history in vermin control or hunting.

As said I have been fortunate enough to be in a position to help a few people, but this is the primary hurdle for me as I am sure it is for other like minded people

ATB

CHasey

FOr the sake of others like you who are seeking help to get into stalking let me explain

I can take you stalking no problem but I dont have the land available to me to teach you to shoot

QED its beneficial if people such as your self can outline briefly their experience with a rifle so I can decide if its OK to let you have a go at shooting an animal

The animals welfare (in so far as it deserves a quick and humane death) being my primary concern

Even then its a risk as I have met many who can punch small holes in paper who cant shoot something as significant as a deer.

So my advice to you and others seeking this sort of help is to outline your ability / experience with a rifle and (to some extent more importantly) your history in vermin control or hunting.

As said I have been fortunate enough to be in a position to help a few people, but this is the primary hurdle for me as I am sure it is for other like minded people

ATB

CHasey
yeah sorry I didn’t really answer ur question properly with my reply and completely agree with u, animal welfare and safety are very important, I’ve been doing mainly rabbit and fox shooting with centrefire and rimfire, currently licensed up to 223 have put in a variation for a 243 with the hope of getting in to stalking, thanks for your help I do appreciate it and will take any advice on board
Andrew

Chasey

I am very pleased to say the day went well despite some issues on one of the sites and the poxy weather

Andrew was nice and early at 5am and seemed to have his act together which is always encouraging. We set off to Prairie low seat at my Peas Pottage permission, which was a bit of luck as the mist was looking more like fog and its one of the few places which is usualy immune from fog.

20181108_074908_001
by markchase8, on Flickr

We were in the seat at 6:15 and it was still dark. Andrew had my Sako75 with its normal RH stock on it in 243 with 100g soft points. We sat till about 8am and then almost below us a deer emerged and jumped the stream. Andrew got prepared to shoot but I got it in the binos and confirmed my fears that it was a roebuck so off the menu today.

I was nice and comfy in my thermals and with a survival blanket over my knees but I could tell Andrew was feeling the cold as he became more fidgety and started rubbing his legs. He appeared to be wearing the equivalent of green tracksuit bottoms and despite the benefit of youth, I felt sitting for 2.5 hours was taking its toll.

So about 8.45 I announced a walk and stalk to warm us up a bit. Kit packed away we stood outside the hide and I got Andrew to practice getting the rifle from shoulder to stick before we set off. Just as I was showing him how to adjust the height of the sticks Andrew said look. And across the small valley three deer had appeared. They seemed to be walking with a purpose so I said to Andrew target the one at the back. At this point I realised they were not going to stop moving, so I gave out a loud shout of "Oi" which had the desired effect and Andrew took the shot.

The deer was obviously hit and the others scattered but I managed to track two going left and one right. Most likely one was one of the left pair.

We waited the obligatory 5mins then set off to the far bank.

There was an excellent blood trail and we found the yearling buck about 15m from the point of shot, quite dead.

Shot placement wasnt ideal but it had done the job and not many can say they took their first off sticks with a great shot, so all in all a good result under pressure.

Andrew did the drag out and I got the quad & gralloch station set up.

He did a lot of the gralloch himself under instruction and I did a demo of the tricky bits, like the head off cut and tunnelling.

All good and it was time for a well earned breakfast.

We spent a couple of hours stalking round another site in the afternoon but there'd been forestry work going on and the site was devoid of deer. We returned to the seat at around 2pm and sat till dark braving the worst of the wind and the rain to no avail as the deer were obviously at home in front of the fire where we should have been.

We put the deer in my chiller and Andrews coming over on Sunday to skin and butcher it.

A good result, good company and I am sure Andrew will make a competent stalker.

Lets hope the next time he gets to christen his new rifle

ATB

Chasey

S&L7x57

Nicely done. Wish I had had that sort of chance when a newby. Now I come to think about, I could use some instruction now...!