low pressure

n3al

I have been trying to find a load for my t3 6.5x55, following nosler online load data for 120gr ballistic tips and reloader 19, col 3.025", rem 91/2 primer, lapua brass.

Start load was 44.5 grains @1801 fps second load 45 grains @1860 fps, both with a good amount of soot over the cases and primers not looking right.
Measured with a magnetospeed sporter.

Put a couple of federal 140gr over chrony to check box speed 2600fps measure 2460 fps (20" barrel).

Decided not to fire any more until i get to the bottom of this, i have come back and checked my scales against some bullets that i have in different weights, all seems okay.
Has anyone used this combination and what were the results
Going to order a bullet puller and check my charges.

Any other ideas would be helpful
N3al

finnbear270

I would be looking for over 2000 fps for a deer load, soot on your cases means lack of obturation ...(not enough go in your loads).:eek:

Last edited:

PeterH

Hopefully your RL19 has not been bought second hand as a part tub? RL19 has a similar burn rate to N160.

I have just put the info you gave into Quickload (I know only a guide!) but that states fps of around 2600 with ft lbs of around 1800 on a 45 gr load. I cannot solve your problem but if you state 1800 fps, that according to QL is a powder fill of around 31 gr with the case filled only 64% which in my book is dangerous - on 45gr the case should be 93% filled and a quick glance with a torch should give a rough proof of the volume filled.

I would suggest getting a second reloader with their scales involved.

Muir

Swap to N160, myself and it seems many others on here have good results with this combination
But that doesn't answer the question as to why his RL 19 loads from a reliable source aren't acting the way they should. I have no clue myself unless -as was suggested- it isn't RL 19.
Or there is no neck tension.
Or you've got some sad primers.~Muir

n3al

I was expecting around 2600 according to the book, the rl19 was a new tub, lapua brass was new and rem primers were new. Going to pull a few loads and double check the weights.

deeangeo

Often Nosler load data can be quite conservative. Not always, but often, and you’re still around 3gns off their listed max for R19.
Alliant don’t list any data for R19 in 6.5x55, and the Lee manual has it bottom of the chart with a max of only 41gns.
Someone with Quickload data might be able to help further with your combination.

Personally my view is it’s not the propellant to pick for this round, but probably more useful with a heavier bullet.
Using a 120gn bullet, my choices would be Viht.N560 (1st) or Viht.N160

Is your Lapua brass new and has it been anneald?
The soot down the case is likely due to poor obturation (Sealing at the case shoulder)

Not sure what you mean by ‘Primers not looking right’.

25 Sharps

Often Nosler load data can be quite conservative. Not always, but often, and you’re still around 3gns off their listed max for R19.
Alliant don’t list any data for R19 in 6.5x55, and the Lee manual has it bottom of the chart with a max of only 41gns.
Someone with Quickload data might be able to help further with your combination.

Personally my view is it’s not the propellant to pick for this round, but probably more useful with a heavier bullet.
Using a 120gn bullet, my choices would be Viht.N560 (1st) or Viht.N160

Is your Lapua brass new and has it been anneald?
The soot down the case is likely due to poor obturation (Sealing at the case shoulder)

Not sure what you mean by ‘Primers not looking right’.

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/reloadingburningratechart2011.pdf

According to lapua it's faster than N160 which would make it more suitable for lighter bullets surely, of the burn rate chart is right? To be fair nosler give the best velocity with this powder so something's up!

the OP needs to pull some rounds, double check charge weight and go from there I guess.

Last edited:

deeangeo

Sorry, - Alliant do list R19 in 6.5x55 ... but only with a 140gn bullet..that’s the only piece of data they supply.
The Lee manual shows R19 at the bottom of their listings for both 120 & 140gn bullets with poor charge weight and MV.

But you’re right Boydy, pulling the bullets and re-checking the charge weights is the right thing to do.
If the weights turn out to be right, I’d definitely be looking at a more suitable propellant.

However, that still leaves the ‘not looking right primers’ question to resolve?

supersport

not wanting to make any suggestions here but in the past iv used R19 with sierra pro hunters 120grn 6.5x55 with a charge of 47grn was safe in my rifle and a good accurate round.

Muir

Sorry, - Alliant do list R19 in 6.5x55 ... but only with a 140gn bullet..that’s the only piece of data they supply.
The Lee manual shows R19 at the bottom of their listings for both 120 & 140gn bullets with poor charge weight and MV.

But you’re right Boydy, pulling the bullets and re-checking the charge weights is the right thing to do.
If the weights turn out to be right, I’d definitely be looking at a more suitable propellant.

However, that still leaves the ‘not looking right primers’ question to resolve?
Hornady's #10 lists RL19 and 120's. The charge weight range is in the same area with the upper end a little more than the Nosler, iirc.~Muir

n3al

All the consumables were new from a shop, this is the load data i have been following,

Screenshot_20180812-162038_Chrome.jpg

here is a picture of the primers, look a lot different from when i loaded my .243

15340874769104739178667769013655.jpg

Yorric

From the photo of the spent cases, the primers look ok with no pressure signs.
The low velocity & sooty cases indicate low burn pressure/poor ignition.
Possible causes:-
Bad cases - full length resize even when new. This will give "factory" neck dimensions & consistent bullet pull values.
Wrong diameter bullets - easy to measure & rectify.
Bad powder - very unlikely as it was a new sealed tub. Grade you chose is ok for your bullet weight.
Water or lube in cases. Make sure they are clean & dry before loading.
Bad primers. - try others.

I'd recommend pulling some unfired rounds. Check the charge weight matches your records. -Cross check your scales with a different set.-- Make sure you get all the powder out of the cases. If you find some powder sticks in the cases, maybe the cases were wet (lube or water?) - I know they were new cases. --Did you resize them before loading? Check the bullet seating force & bullet pulling force. -(as per Muir's comments) - It should reflect factory rounds.
If nothing is found amiss, resize the cases & reload some with same powder & load, but with a different batch of primers. Note the powder charge you indicate should give velocity around the book figures, certainly not where you are at!
Make one change at a time & check results at each step. That way you should easily identify the source of your problem

6.5 x 55 does seem to be a bit more pressure sensitive than some other chamberings & sooting is not uncommon, but it usually can be sorted with a logical rework sequence.

n3al

finally found some time to look at these.
I pulled 6 loads and checked charge with 2 sets of scales and all was good, one thing i did notice was it required a lot of force to pull the bullets. (kinetic hammer was no good had to buy a bench one)
I have resized all my new brass and loaded 4 test
rounds 44.5, 45 45.5 46, my FPS had improved by 450 FPS but was erratic going up and down, going to get some different primers, any recommendations on what to try.