Luminous paint

Mungo

This may be a stupid question, but worth asking…

Has anyone had any experience with painting easily mislaid bits of equipment (like knives) with luminous paint, so you can go back and look in the dark?

I’ve recently lost quite a few arrows learning to shoot field archery, and have lost plenty of other smaller things over the years, so was wondering if this might work.

Klenchblaize

K

Mungo

Thanks Klench - I've found all sorts of things googling, but was wondering if anyone had actual experience using the paint, and had found it at all useful.

dlz90

Has anyone had any experience with painting easily mislaid bits of equipment (like knives) with luminous paint, so you can go back and look in the dark?

I’ve recently lost quite a few arrows learning to shoot field archery, and have lost plenty of other smaller things over the years, so was wondering if this might work.
I think you should take a look at light reflective tape, plenty on eBay all different colours and widths I prefer silver myself I just find it really reacts better to the light.

It has many advantages over paint I feel as luminous paint needs charged by light to give any chance of picking it up, the longer it's been since activation by light the duller it gets to the point it's not much benefit.

D

Mungo

I think you should take a look at light reflective tape, plenty on eBay all different colours and widths I prefer silver myself I just find it really reacts better to the light.

It has many advantages over paint I feel as luminous paint needs charged by light to give any chance of picking it up, the longer it's been since activation by light the duller it gets to the point it's not much benefit.

D
Good idea!

thanks.

dlz90

Good idea!

thanks.
The reflective tape idea was instilled on me from my years of commercial fishing on a Cygnus GM 40 crab/ lobster boat.

We always had bother finding the bouys in the dark, even though the trackplotter got us to the exact area, with the constant turning of the tides we didn't have much time to locate the gear before the bouy would be dragged into the deep till the next slack tide some hours away.

The skipper came up with the idea of using 3m reflective tape 3m was and still is the best and it worked a charm being easily picked up by the boats search light.

I use it on lots of gear now and it has saved many a fruitless forage in the dark.

I found using it on my shooting sticks which I use to mark a fallen deer after the shot has made life so much easier, in the darkness when after the gralloch I return to the pickup for the sled and winch rope for the extraction.

D

paul o'

I use orange knife handles or bright paracord or you could use reflective tape but this in long grass etc it next to no good

caberslash

@Mungo

If you paint arrows with anything you will upset how they behave when flexing in flight.

Lighted nocks are not a good call either unless you are hunting with them.

Buy a semi decent metal detector, shoot at closer distances until you improve or just use cheaper arrows.

If you are using a recurve, or god forbid, a longbow/flatbow, get with the times and buy a compound.

Mungo

@Mungo

If you paint arrows with anything you will upset how they behave when flexing in flight.

Lighted nocks are not a good call either unless you are hunting with them.

Buy a semi decent metal detector, shoot at closer distances until you improve or just use cheaper arrows.

If you are using a recurve, or god forbid, a longbow/flatbow, get with the times and buy a compound.
Thanks!

I’ve only just started, and am using a recurve. The plan is to learn the basics and core principles with a recurve, then move to a compound down the line (like learning to shoot with iron sights on an air rifle - at least that’s my logic).

So you reckon even painting the shafts will upset the arrow dynamics?

lochty

I've got some self adhesive reflective stickers, about 75mm x 20mm. Think there's 6 in total. You're welcome to them for an s.a.e. pm me if you want them.

Dickie

I’ve used fluorescent paint at work. It needs to go on a white base, it’s quite thick and chips easily and it needs to be in a light place or you have to use a torch to find it in the dark.

Paul 600

Get yourself a UV torch. The vanes and nocks glow very well. Obviously only really works in the dark!🤔 orange handled knives glow as well.

Paul 600

Thanks!

I’ve only just started, and am using a recurve. The plan is to learn the basics and core principles with a recurve, then move to a compound down the line (like learning to shoot with iron sights on an air rifle - at least that’s my logic).

So you reckon even painting the shafts will upset the arrow dynamics?
Shooting a compound bow is much easier than a recurve or trad bow.

Firefly

There is an orange paracord with built in reflectivity. I have several items with this on. Best of both worlds. High viz and reflective. There is also glow in the dark adhesive tape available.

mereside

No experience with paint but the only thing that works with arrows is a lighted Nock and failing that a metal detector or rake, regards Wayne

mereside

No but it works on the field point on the end👍, my arrows I use a steel insert to beef up the arrow for stump shooting, regards Wayne