Lymes disease

Leica Amplus 6

Ranger22

We all know ticks pass this on. I was speaking to a man yesterday and we got talking about the increased number of Cleggs that are about this year. He told me that he had read an article that said Cleggs can pass on Lymes disease too. I 've never heard this one before, anyone know if it is true?

​Al

6.5/284matt

Is this the parasite your on about.

24E13D3B-44AF-4EE3-B9C4-E91974A92903-589-0000003BB249C109.jpg

Wheesht!

I bl**dy hope it's not true!

More Cleggs up here this year than i've ever seen before....

It seems like everything in the forest (adders, cleggs, ticks & midgies) is hell bent on eating me at the moment!

Shabz

Cleggs are proper dirty little buggers. I'm pretty sure they can pass on infections so I don't think it would be too far fetched that they could give you lymes disease.

Buchan

I think "unlikely" is the correct answer here. My instinctive reaction was no, as horseflies etc bite and then lap up the blood, rather than sucking. Also, it is likely that the gut of the fly is not a suitable place for the Borrelia to survive in (I've seen a reference that they die within 6 days in mosquitoes). However, the Tabanid flies (the family cleggs are in) can transmit some diseases, so it is possible that they could mechanically transmit the Borrelia bacteria (ie they pick up infected blood on their mouthparts and then immediately bite something else.)
​I suspect they are so damn painful, we swat them before any significant transmission.

old man

Found an interesting reference to this by accident in an article by a University of Rhode Island Horticulture Program fact sheet, it implies that they are suspected of being carriers of Lyme.
Ref New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990. ?

Ranger22

Found an interesting reference to this by accident in an article by a University of Rhode Island Horticulture Program fact sheet, it implies that they are suspected of being carriers of Lyme.
Ref New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990. ?

Cheers, will have a look

Al

srvet

Just heard today that the release of a Lymes Disease vaccine for dogs is imminent. Whilst the incidence of the disease is fortunately low, I will be seriously considering it on my dogs. Have just pulled 6 off the terrier after a three hour stalk this last weekend

jubnut

Just heard today that the release of a Lymes Disease vaccine for dogs is imminent. Whilst the incidence of the disease is fortunately low, I will be seriously considering it on my dogs. Have just pulled 6 off the terrier after a three hour stalk this last weekend

Very interesting. Please let us all know when it becomes available. I'll be first in the queue.

Buchan

Just launched - Merylim 3. Apparently works by producing antibodies that the tick ingests. THese bind onto the Borrelia surface protein and prevent migration to the salivary glands. No trial work has been done vaccinating a dog and then dosing it with Lyme, just exposing them to ticks in a known Lyme area. This is from the data sheet on the NOAH website. I know no more, but will endeavour to find out.

Apache

Interesting. Never actually diagnosed a case.

No mention on the Merial website. It's not showing on our wholesaler list. Data sheet on VMD and NOAH.

davebeds

Cheers. Yes nasty little things. Was bitten on hand a few years ago by one while fishing. swelled up like a ballon.

Spoony

Quote from half way down
Both these images show the blackish tibiae on all the legs which distinguish C. caecutiens from Chrysops relictus. These females were biting 'vigorously' in two East Sussex, UK woodlands. There is some evidence that this (and other) tabanid species may transmit Lyme disease (Borrelia sp.) to man (Stanek et al., 1987 ; Luger, 1990 ), although the main vector for Lyme disease is Ixodes ticks.

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod