Magazine latch too soft

New Avon Arms

12gsnapcaps

I've already said this in the thread but i'll say it again, I'm more than happy with the ATI mag system, it was cheap second hand and is far superior to the top feed system. I just want to find a way to stiffen up the latch. Thankyou to everyone who has replied on the subject of which the question was asked. Much appreciated.

takbok

I've already said this in the thread but i'll say it again, I'm more than happy with the ATI mag system, it was cheap second hand and is far superior to the top feed system. I just want to find a way to stiffen up the latch. Thankyou to everyone who has replied on the subject of which the question was asked. Much appreciated.
I really am trying to help. You could send it to me and I'd happily sort it out for you quickly.

VSS

Well if I were you I would remove the floor plate kit and return it as not fit for purpose, get your £100 or whatever it cost back and go back to a floorplate magazine which you can't loose.
This^^^
Or was there something wrong with the floorplate that it needed replacing? You can always tape a floorplate permanently shut if you're worried about it pinging open and dumping your rounds in the mud. Just use as per blind mag thereafter.

12gsnapcaps

This^^^
Or was there something wrong with the floorplate that it needed replacing? You can always tape a floorplate permanently shut if you're worried about it pinging open and dumping your rounds in the mud. Just use as per blind mag thereafter.
I have always found removable magazines far superior to fixed floorplates.

VSS

I have always found removable magazines far superior to fixed floorplates.
I thought that too, until I got used to the floorplate mags. Now I wouldn't have a removable mag on a stalking rifle. Heard too many stories about people losing them, for a start!
5 rounds in a double stacked floorplate mag is just nice, and keeps the rifle slim and uncluttered too.

ApexOrdnance

I thought that too, until I got used to the floorplate mags. Now I wouldn't have a removable mag on a stalking rifle. Heard too many stories about people losing them, for a start!
5 rounds in a double stacked floorplate mag is just nice, and keeps the rifle slim and uncluttered too.
Pain in the arse if you need to clear the rifle in a hurry though.

Kalahari

I wish they gave you the option of a nice flush floorplate magazine on the CZ 527. The rifle would look so much nicer like that.

David.

Apologies for the uncalled for hijack.

VSS

Pain in the arse if you need to clear the rifle in a hurry though.
Not with a hinged floorplate it's not. It's very quick. Admittedly it would be slower if you opted to use it as a blind magazine.
But what circumstances could possibly require you to clear the rifle in a hurry? One of the most pleasant things about stalking is that everything takes place at such a nice unhurried pace. I think you'd have to be doing something wrong somewhere along the line if you found yourself in a rush to clear the rifle.

palmer_mike

The detachable magazine conversion for the Howa is renowned for dropping the magazine out.

I know as I used to have one, I went back to the floor plate after I nearly lost the mag on a couple of occasions while stalking.

TBH in your position I’d either go for the more expensive AICS mag system or back to the original floor plate. Any tinkering you do the current mag system will just be ‘polishing a turd’

Heym SR20

Not with a hinged floorplate it's not. It's very quick. Admittedly it would be slower if you opted to use it as a blind magazine.
But what circumstances could possibly require you to clear the rifle in a hurry? One of the most pleasant things about stalking is that everything takes place at such a nice unhurried pace. I think you'd have to be doing something wrong somewhere along the line if you found yourself in a rush to clear the rifle.
Simple enough - open the bolt and catch the round from the chamber and push back into magazine. Keeping rounds held in the mag, close the bolt so no round is picked up. Then pointing rifle to a safe place squeeze of the trigger - firing pin drops onto an empty chamber and rifle is now safe. Reason for squeezing trigger and dry firing into a safe place is to prevent you leaving a loaded round in chamber. If there is it goes bang. Rifle is now safe to carry on shoulder etc.

If you need to unload either drop floor plate catching the five rounds into your hand, or holding the rifle upwards just move the bolt forward till the round clears the feed lips and pull the bolt back and the round falls out - no need to fully chamber the round and close the bolt.

Detacheable mags have their place - on military rifles with high capacity, or on high capacity range rifles where there is a need for rapid fire, reloads or to completely unload.

In a stalking rifle there is no need. If you are constantly having to unload because you going over fences etc etc simple solution is a break action rifle, which you break like a shotgun.

Reactions: VSS
UK Outfitters