Magical moment!

Monkey Spanker

My eldest son turned 14 in February so we wasted no time in applying for a coterminous FAC/SGC. It came through last week. We went for a foot stalk tonight, him with a .22LR and me with a 25.06. Before long we came across a couple of bunnies at about 50-60m. He gets up on the 'monkey sticks' and smacks one neatly through the head. (He has done this numerous times before with his Air Arms S200 .177 and is an annoyingly good shot!).
A bit futher round the wood and I spy a young 4-point Roe Buck in velvet behind a holly bush. I set him up on the sticks with the 25.06 and tell him to wait with the safety catch applied. I lasered the bush at 124 yds. I tell him to wait until the buck emerges and then to chest shoot it. It wasn't too long before the buck moved to the right a bit. Crack!-Whack! the buck kicks out it's back legs and runs off into the trees. The point of shot showed a good patch of pins and lung blood/tissue. A good blood trail led us about 40-50m into the trees where we find this fella stone dead!
Benjamin's first deer!!.jpg
He did the gralloch himself, although I did have to suspend it for him. A textbook mid-chest shot! A very happy boy and an extremely proud Dad! Undoubtedly a magical moment which we will both recount for years to come and a memory which will last forever! Well done mate!
Dad.

DJC

My eldest son turned 14 in February so we wasted no time in applying for a coterminous FAC/SGC. It came through last week. We went for a foot stalk tonight, him with a .22LR and me with a 25.06. Before long we came across a couple of bunnies at about 50-60m. He gets up on the 'monkey sticks' and smacks one neatly through the head. (He has done this numerous times before with his Air Arms S200 .177 and is an annoyingly good shot!).
A bit futher round the wood and I spy a young 4-point Roe Buck in velvet behind a holly bush. I set him up on the sticks with the 25.06 and tell him to wait with the safety catch applied. I lasered the bush at 124 yds. I tell him to wait until the buck emerges and then to chest shoot it. It wasn't too long before the buck moved to the right a bit. Crack!-Whack! the buck kicks out it's back legs and runs off into the trees. The point of shot showed a good patch of pins and lung blood/tissue. A good blood trail led us about 40-50m into the trees where we find this fella stone dead!
View attachment 40261
He did the gralloch himself, although I did have to suspend it for him. A textbook mid-chest shot! A very happy boy and an extremely proud Dad! Undoubtedly a magical moment which we will both recount for years to come and a memory which will last forever! Well done mate!
Dad.
MS he look as happy as can be with that smile well done keep up the good work with your boy
Djc

sauer

Wow a great read
touch a nerve here ( not in bad way , emotinally)

my 2 boys autistic ( 4&5 yrs) but show signs of wanting to come with dad

I hope / dream of doing exactly as you have done

nice one sir
a forever memory

paul

Brithunter

Please pass on my hearty congratulations to the lad........................... plus take a pat on the back your self :tiphat:.

td

View attachment 40261
Dad.
Brilliant great read I hope you both have many more moments like this Trevor

scoby270

Well done to you both, my daughter is 8 and is desperate to come out shooting with me, i said she can when she is 9 1 month away now, like your son very good with an air rifle, just hope we enjoy it as much as you did.

S

Paul 600

A big congratulations to you both! Ben might as well have that starter 26-06! :D You do realise I will have to do the same now! A lifetime memory for you both.

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
MS
great to see you out with your lad you won't ever forget his first deer
start em young that's my advice to anyone with kids showing an interest
my son is an under keeper on a top estate now and his early learning has
Helped no end in his early career
Regards pete

jamross65

Brilliant MS, well done to you both.

My boys are now 13 and one about to turn 12 and have been stalking with me for about 6 years. Not shot one themselves yet though, maybe this year! :thumb: