Mains Energiser

benjrush

I keep a couple of pigs from time to time at the bottom of my garden. The pen is about 20x20m in an orchard with 2 strands of electric, one at snout height and one about 18-24 inches up. There is stock fencing outside the electric but I would not like to rely on it keeping a determined pig from getting out or digging round the fence posts. My old battery energiser (cheap online job) has failed. The battery is also dead and wont charge so I am looking to get a mains one now that I have run electric to my shed.

It doesn't need to be able to take a horse off its feet at 1km but needs to be able to deal with a bit of vegetation and obviously discourage the pigs.

The ground is usually pretty damp but is sandy so a good earth will be needed.

Can anyone recommend a make/model for this small an enclosure?

Nugs

Have gone solar now for all of our fencers, work well with horses and sheep. So would probably do well for pigs.
Solar Powered Fence Energisers
Little bit more expensive than mains, but totally portable and with the advances in solar technology, put out a good whack.

FISH BOY

Ha ha - sorry to hijack but you've just nudged a memory of a shooting pal getting a good whack while climbing over such a fence :lol:

Nugs

Ha ha - sorry to hijack but you've just nudged a memory of a shooting pal getting a good whack while climbing over such a fence :lol:
Done it myself, thought i was climbing over tension wire over stock fencing......it was steel electric wire connected to mains energiser..... haven't danced like that in many a year. :cool:

benjrush

HAHA, always good to hear you aren't the only one who has done it!!
I had looked at solar, but as it is in an orchard there isn't a lot of light due to the tree cover. Not sure how well it would perform.

Woodsmoke

I've been walloped four times this last week by ours. You'd think I'd learn, hey? :oops::lol::lol:

Incidentally, we use a Hotline Shrike to partition our horses' field. It has the option of battery D-Cells, or a 12V car battery, and as it operates at 3V you get decent life out of them. We tend to use a car battery as it gives an absolute age between charges.

Any vegetation touching the fence will cause you issues though, as it'll just take the charge straight to ground

Edit: Here's a link Battery Electric Fence Energiser | Hotline Shrike HLB100

vitalspark

I keep a couple of pigs from time to time at the bottom of my garden. The pen is about 20x20m in an orchard with 2 strands of electric, one at snout height and one about 18-24 inches up. There is stock fencing outside the electric but I would not like to rely on it keeping a determined pig from getting out or digging round the fence posts. My old battery energiser (cheap online job) has failed. The battery is also dead and wont charge so I am looking to get a mains one now that I have run electric to my shed.

It doesn't need to be able to take a horse off its feet at 1km but needs to be able to deal with a bit of vegetation and obviously discourage the pigs.

The ground is usually pretty damp but is sandy so a good earth will be needed.

Can anyone recommend a make/model for this small an enclosure?
Hi benjrush
I use a HotShock N50 Mains Energiser 5.0J for both pigs and horses. It needs a decent Joules output in order to burn down any vegetation. See link:
Electric Fence HotShock N50 Mains Energiser 5.0J 4014803106148 | eBay