Making Kippers !

Woodsmoke

Try 70g salt to 30g of brown sugar in half a litre of water. You can scale it up to suit larger volumes if you need to :thumb:

Brine for half an hour or so. Longer if you prefer a saltier taste

Klenchblaize

You can use an old wardrobe to hot smoke:
The above video makes clear how it would work and given there are so many old wardrobes people simply can't give away from house clearances you need not spend good money at B&Q making an enclosure.

K

Last edited:

johngryphon

I didnt see one but shouldnt there be an escape flue for the 'used' smoke to be released from the top?

A cast iron camp oven with appropriate sawdust sprinkled over the bottom. Then with the fish/meat laying on a SS cake cooling rack over the wood can be placed on a gas jet with lid slightly ajar and you will have smoked anything in no time.

VSS

An old 45-gallon oil drum makes a good smoker. A proper rusty old one, with no traces of oil remaining, and all the paint gone! Cut the top off. Prop it up on some bricks so you can light a fire (or place a gas burner) under it. Put a layer of oak chippings in the bottom. Hang your meat or fish or whatever from a rail across the open top. Cover with an old blanket folded up (not hanging down the sides, obviously, or it will catch fire!). With the fire lit underneath, the chippings inside will start to smoulder nicely. A couple of hours will do it, or probably a lot less for smaller items like fish. I have done some pretty big hams in an oil drum smoker.

Last edited:

jubnut

I have a couple of stainless beer kegs for smoking small quantities. Can do hot or cold.

A couple of other thoughts with herring.

Try smoking some whole and making bloaters. Like a kipper, only gamier.

Also. Pickling. Either as fillets or go the whole rollmop.

johngryphon

An old 45-gallon oil drum makes a good smoker.
VSS the oil drums have a rubber seal in the folds that make up the seals top and bottom. Obviously here we have the space and the wood so when we want a new drum as a cooker we roll them into a decent log fire in the paddock until all paint,seals and contents are burnt completely out.

Reactions: VSS