Marathon

Blodwen Price

Hi people, not sure if this is the right place for this, mods please move it if not.

My OC, Major Al Jarvis RE, has just completed a marathon, here in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He started a 0500 and has just finished at 1100, not only is it red hot here, but he did it wearing his Osprey body armour which weighs in at 33lb!

I just did the last 6 miles, (without the Osprey) and I am HOT.

Why am I telling you this?

It's for charity, the Army Benevolent Fund to be precise and, if you like, you can donate money to this very good cause at;

http://www.justgiving.com/bodyarmourmarathon

If you want more info try http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7344227.stm

Well done to both of you.

On a personal note. I would like pass on my own appreciation for what you boys are doing out there.

Keep up the good work.

EF

Hi Owenontour,
Fantastic effort by Major Jarvis and yourself. I've worn Osprey Body armour and know how heavy and uncomfortable it is! :eek:

I can only echo Elma fud's comments:- 'On a personal note. I would like pass on my own appreciation for what you boys and girls are doing out there.'

Keep up the good work. In my opinion, the best of the British people are out doing their duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. Good bless and protect them.

Thank you.

Donation made.

Well Done,

I was in Afghanistan a year ago it was hot and uncomfortable just in my 95 kit, never mind running a Marathon in Osprey...

Good on Him and good on you all,

Have a safe tour!!!!!

TJ

I think we should have an affiliation with at least one charity on this website. Maybe two, a Conservation charity and a Services based one.

What does everyone think.

I have long held the belief that a 'march and shoot' style event would make a good fund raiser. This is something that we used to do in HM Forces. It requires a group of people to complete a gruelling march across rough terrain and then carry out a target shoot. Any takers!

This is the sort of thing I mean:-

http://www.nato-otan.org/sfor/indexinf/141/p10a/t02p10a.htm

Yes I know we wouldn't want to have rifles and helmets, but we could organise a civilian version? Weighted roesack and shooting sticks, collect rifles and ammo at the range. An eight mile march of the Long Mynd by four man teams setting out at ten minute intervals. Marching to Minsterley Ranges to put the best grouping at 100metres at deer targets.

I will organise it if you are interested.

well done to lads for all they are doing over seas.
would also be interested in doing the mrB style challenge
just the doctor once told me' you hav the heart and lungs of an athelete, just not the body'
so now i just eat and drink like an athelete

Well done to yourself and the Major! An extra 33lbs in that heat can't have been any fun at all.

Just to echo the sentiments of other contributors, thanks to all you guys for the sacrifices being made around the world by British soldiers.

An officer serving in Afghanistan has also contacted me to see if we could help with another charity, Help for Heroes, so I'll be keeping everyone updated with that too.

Cheers,

Rob

Help for Heroes definitely has my vote.

Regret I have no intention of running (it panics the chaps, y'know) - but quite happy to cycle alongside Beowulf and offer him 'encouragement' through a megaphone ......

I would just say well done Major Al Jarvis to do that run carrying that weight in the heat is not mean feat. I took up fell running a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it, we had a nice race yesterday but nothing compared to what the Major just did. :eek:

I am doing the 3 Peaks Challenge latter this year with an Ex-pra and a ex-Marine I am sure they won’t be very competitive with each other. :evil:

I would like to echo the comments regarding a big thank you to all our forces in both fields of present conflict.

Beowulf said:
I have long held the belief that a 'march and shoot' style event would make a good fund raiser. This is something that we used to do in HM Forces. It requires a group of people to complete a gruelling march across rough terrain and then carry out a target shoot. Any takers!

I will organise it if you are interested.

Beowulf you bet, :lol: count me in on that one I am just getting the rucksack out to walk up the hill back of the house with my dogs, started training immediately. This would combine my two hobbies, well it would if they were a real deer at the end. How about adding a drag out with a simulated red stag after the shooting to make it just like real stalking.

Best rgds

Thar

Well with these comments and the pm's I've recieved, I think we have a go'er! :D We could do the 'March and die...err March and Shoot' for Help 4 Heroes' and get some sponsorship through the shooting media? I'll see if Rob Mac and I can put something together and let you all know. Don't worry if you don't feel fit enough for the march, we will still need marshalls, RCO's and gophers! :D

I'll get back to you all about this once I've had chance to speak to Rob. Thanks for the support so far. ;)

charity march

can i be a ghopher on a quad bike cause i aint walking any where for nothing we cant get them to kent let alone walking up hills sorry for the dig MUDDY

You are all heros in my book. As I have said before on other threads any man or women who is prepared to fight for our freedom and lay their life on the line for Great Britain has my backing all the way.

Well done lads and lassies, give em hell, and keep safe.

Yes, well done men, keep up the good work :D

Count me in with a charity do Beowulf, but the only thing i would say is, at this moment in time i don`t have time to fart :eek: , ooops, yes i do :eek: so can`t guarentee i could deffo do it, but will if it can fall on a clear weekend then no probs ;)

wadas

well done to you both mate,have a safe tour keep your heads down and keep pulling that trigger mate.we are all very proud of everyone of you.let us know your plans mr b.

Beowulf said:
How about we look at September to do this?

Looks OK for me? Just don't clash with the Midland game fair unless we could do it at the midland we would get some cash in then for the boys. ;)

Best rgds

B-b

Back