Market Weighton Shoot

PSE Composites Limited

Miroku6000

Has anyone come across a walk one stand one shoot around Market Weighton, East Yorkshire?

I've been offered a couple of days this season and they do seem pretty cheap if they deliver what is promised, which has made me a bit wary!

I think the shoot is run by an older guy who I think is a retired lecturer or something similar.

Anyone any advice? Should it be avoided like the plague or is it a hidden gem so to speak!!!

snowy

I think you'll have to be a little more specific as there's quite a lot of smallish syndicates around Market Weighton.
There's two old boys use our local gunshop run one in the area I'll ask if they know anything the next time I see them and pm you any info given.

Last edited:

snowy

Funny that! I've had exactly the same response from another couple of blokes who are local to the shoot!!!!!

After being ripped off last year to the tune of £700-00 that would be enough for me to steer well clear.
ps nowhere near Market Weighton a lot nearer home.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
I take 3 days there in oct every year and have always had good value days. Late season can be very patcty.
I stalk on some of the ground there and they seem to have a lot of game crops in this year.
Kevin has gone also.
The thing is with all cheap shooting it cannot be great all of the time you get what you pay for.
I have again taken 3 days this time.
The shoot has also gone more driven with 12 guns standing and helpers who walk every drive.
We on my shoot have a few guns on most days left.
we are fully driven mixed shoot with partridge pheasant duck and even goose drives.
Usual day is 9 guns, breakfast, 6-7 drives 120 birds or 400 shots.
£310 per day.
More expensive then whinnies but not comparable in any way.

Miroku6000

I take 3 days there in oct every year and have always had good value days. Late season can be very patcty.
I stalk on some of the ground there and they seem to have a lot of game crops in this year.
Kevin has gone also.
The thing is with all cheap shooting it cannot be great all of the time you get what you pay for.
I have again taken 3 days this time.
The shoot has also gone more driven with 12 guns standing and helpers who walk every drive.
We on my shoot have a few guns on most days left.
we are fully driven mixed shoot with partridge pheasant duck and even goose drives.
Usual day is 9 guns, breakfast, 6-7 drives 120 birds or 400 shots.
£310 per day.
More expensive then whinnies but not comparable in any way.

That sounds like a good deal. Do you have days available for this coming season? Do you only take a group of guns taking a full day or do you have space for single guns or pairs etc?

snowy

6-7 drives 120 birds or 400 shots.
That's a new one on me, you wouldn't want anyone shooting vermin etc in the line if that's the case.

bobt

fairly common, as sometimes a line of guns cant hit a thing, then complain they have had no shooting, a shot limit helps stop it,

snowy

6-7 drives 120 birds or 400 shots.
nowt wrong with putting a limit on number of shots it is often reconed at 3to1 for a deacent team so just under 4 is fair IMHO
Wasn't commenting on the fairness, just that I'd never come across it before although thinking about it I don't know as it is. Would certainly be something to consider when booking a day if this was in the terms and conditions.

roedeerred

Not suggesting you were just making a point having been shooting for many years and on both side of the fence so to speak .I have been involved when a 100 bag would never have been achieved in a week never mind a day by a team.
It is very frustrating for a keeper and beating team when the guns carnt hit barn doors.
I have also been on a day when 150 birds were shot for 250shots counted that was a short days shooting everyone got ****ed after it.

countrryboy

Think most shoots will have it as a sort off unwritten rule/guidline, althou possibly not writen down as a formal rule.
YDS will answer u better but i doubt they would stop u mid drive if u have fired ur 400 shots and still not achieved the bag, think more off a guidleine so u can't complain if u fail to make ur bag despite plenty off birds being shown but team shot very poorly and over the 400 shot mark.

I have heard off teams complaining they have not made the bag yet have shot say 500 or 600 shells (5-6+ to a kill) u'd be surprised how often it happens.

It's actually pretty good value that! Is there vat on top YDS?

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
No vat, we have some very fast partridge and high wild ducks. its not uncommon for a team to shoot 7-1.
we haven't enough drives to make the bag in that case. We shoot the 7 drives regardless of shots but if 400 shots are fired and bag not achieved the agreed money is paid.
Likewise we would allow 10% overages with no extra charge. Days are geared up for 100-120 depending on drives that week.
we except single guns to make up the 9. No full days left now anyway for a full team.
The only reason we struggle now is some of the main drives are in/around a working quarry and we have to shoot on Saturdays when its closed. we used to hoot Fridays and had a waiting list to get in.......... most of them people hunt on a Saturday so cannot come anymore.

Taff

unless its a syndicate shoot, having a clicker is standard on most commercial shoots, we had a 4 to1 or bag limit, the clicker needs to be where he can see the guns and not count vermin shots, of you tell the guns at the start no vermin, then there's no argument, had a syndicate of 8 once, that after 6 drives had 26 birds in the bag, once we had explained they had shot, 190 times, they were happy.

Night Vision Store