Marlin SBL 45-70, looking for opinions.

I also have some Hornady 500gr FMJ loads with overall length to function through the Marlin. Around 1100fps but will probably penetrate 2 moose, end to end.

I bet! I was going to use the same in mine but for driven and settled, on 350grain interlocks at a bit more speed, the best load was the maximum charge, glad I’ve got a break now. When hunting with them you don’t even feel the recoil.

My all time favorite cast bullet is the Lyman 457-122 Gould HP. It is tedious to cast but accuracy is outstanding and killing power tremendous. The year after St. Nick left that Marlin for my son he left 300 of these bullets cast and sized to .458" in his stocking. That Marlin shoots them into about 2" open sights at 100 yards. My Model 98 Siamese Mauser 45-70 with a 3.5X scope will pile them atop each other at 100 yards.

If you are casting for the 45-2.1 then this bullet is a real gem.~Muir

A member on this site used them on a good sized Black Bear a few years ago . The Bear dropped instantly at the shot , as a matter of fact , it's the only bang/flop shot I've ever seen on a bear . That being said , the bullet completely came apart on a chest shot . I think the bullet would have failed if it would have hit bone .

I like low powered scopes or red dots myself . I used the previously mentioned 4x for a while until it caught me with a smack to the head , as Stalker308 can attest lol . My fault entirely , I got a little too relaxed for the shot , live and learn . Like I said earlier , I have a SPARC 2 on it now and it works exactly as designed . Lots of eye relief , I shoot with both eyes open , so excellent for fast moving game , and it doesn't upset the balance of the rifle . Sorry for the long winded response ........... but you did ask lol .

AB

I certainly can attest to the bang floo black bear, but yes it did come apart, the coper didn't exit but no lead core. Apparently common, thank goodness no bone on the way in. I now have that rifle in the UK and with a leupold 1.24-4 euro scope on it, and its perfect, have shot a good number of fallow now and they generally bang flop! With minimal damage with the 325 flexitips.

AB I wasn't going to mention you kissing the scope......but as you mentioned it, yeah we did all have a chuckled at AB's bleeding nose, and his wife even remarked on it when we got home, something along the lines of 'ffs AB, are you a child, I thought you had more experience than that'.

I certainly can attest to the bang floo black bear, but yes it did come apart, the coper didn't exit but no lead core. Apparently common, thank goodness no bone on the way in. I now have that rifle in the UK and with a leupold 1.24-4 euro scope on it, and its perfect, have shot a good number of fallow now and they generally bang flop! With minimal damage with the 325 flexitips.

AB I wasn't going to mention you kissing the scope......but as you mentioned it, yeah we did all have a chuckled at AB's bleeding nose, and his wife even remarked on it when we got home, something along the lines of 'ffs AB, are you a child, I thought you had more experience than that'.

Do you reload the flex tips or are they factory, I picked up a box over 2 or 3 years ago and still haven’t shot them as I couldn’t source any more that weren’t a rediculas price. Thanks Matt

Do you reload the flex tips or are they factory, I picked up a box over 2 or 3 years ago and still haven’t shot them as I couldn’t source any more that weren’t a rediculas price. Thanks Matt

Aren't the flex-tips too long for standard brass? I haven't tried them myself but remember reading that the Lever Evolution ammo uses shorter brass.

I only used mine against roe and muntjac when I had a brief flirtation with one. I found that "trapdoor" level loads to be more than ample; nothing moved anywhere when hit.
I loved the rifle, but circumstances dictated I sold it.
I had a 6x42 mounted on mine and it was great.

Aren't the flex-tips too long for standard brass? I haven't tried them myself but remember reading that the Lever Evolution ammo uses shorter brass.
Yes , the Lever Evolution brass is shorter and can be a pain to reload . It is good factory ammo , it's shot well in every rifle I've had .

AB

I only mentioned it because I knew you would lol . The wife still likes to bring it up , we laugh and laugh ....................a******s .

AB

By the way Xavierdoc , a very nice set up . I'm not a fan of bright stainless myself , the finish on yours is a very good idea . I'm also a bit jealous of your Marlin 1894 , very kewl , and generally practical . That model is unicorn poo in these parts . Those that own them , don't sell them . It's great that you take your boy out with you . I took both my daughters with me all the time , great memories . They're both accomplished shooters and hunters today , I can't say I'm happier than when I'm out with them . Good on you .

AB

I was in the City today and there was a Model 95 45-70. The standard half mag, blued item. It was second hand and had a couple do honest wear scratches on the forend. It was marked $429. I hesitated over that one but instead bought a Ruger Precision 22LR as a surprise for my girlfriend. The things an old man does to keep a young lady happy. :cool:~Muir

Yes they are longer, but I am reloading from leverrevolution brass, so shorter already. Reloading page pictured below.

Attachments

• 22F663BE-D2D9-4AEF-8EE8-19EA279071CF.jpeg
    22F663BE-D2D9-4AEF-8EE8-19EA279071CF.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 10
I like the Henry rifles in 357 and 44 mag. They are a scaled down Marlin 336 action which to me is much smoother action than the 1894. I do like the Marlin 1894 models as well. I don't think I've met a lever I didn't like. I've had them in 22lr, 22 mag, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 357 Mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 30-30, 32 Win Spl, 35 Remington, 307 Win, 356 Win, 375 win, 444, 45-70, 450 Marlin, 308 ME, 338 ME, 300 Savage, 243, 308, and 7mm Rem Mag. Currently have the 327 Fed mag, 357mag, 45 Colt, 30-30, 308 Marlin Express.

Last edited:
My 45-70 18" barrel guide gun, 405 g bullets, fitted with an Eotech scope , does pigs, hogs and grizzlies in a breath

Attachments

• P1010548.jpg
    P1010548.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 18
I have a Winchester 1886 45-70 coming soon off gunbroker auction. It has a ppep sight and is the Extra Light 1886.

That's a great deal ! I looked at one here a few weeks back , a take down model mind you , that was listed at $1800 CDN . They do sell for a lot more up here , smaller population , less rifles . Even a half decent pre-64 Model 94 will go for at least 750 . There's a nice , but hunted with , model 64 for sale locally at 1100 . He'll get it .

AB

In the local gun listings, a guy has a Winchester 1886 Grade III or IV with a whitetail buck in gold on one side and 2 Bull elkwin 1886 deer.jpgWin1886 Elk.jpg in gold on the other for $1500. I almost traded a Henry 357 lever and a Ruger SP101 327 Fed Mag + $400 for it but decided to look for a plain model to hunt with, not mention cheaper.

Back