Massive disappointment at Simplyfirearms

Hunter 6.5

Hi all, I just need to share this. Bought a scope mounts yesterday from eBay supplied by the above store and delivery charge was £9 almost three times above the real cost but I was ok with that as don't want to wait a week or more if ordered from Brownells. Wee bit later got an email saying it will be posted today, and today instead of shipping confirmation got a message saying order is cancelled. Then few hours later got another message telling me the reason for cancellation is that they don't ship to NI as posting costs a lot more than £9. What on earth is this?
Would definitely stay away of them from now on.
And Brownells got my money

Hi all, I just need to share this. Bought a scope mounts yesterday from eBay supplied by the above store and delivery charge was £9 almost three times above the real cost but I was ok with that as don't want to wait a week or more if ordered from Brownells. Wee bit later got an email saying it will be posted today, and today instead of shipping confirmation got a message saying order is cancelled. Then few hours later got another message telling me the reason for cancellation is that they don't ship to NI as posting costs a lot more than £9. What on earth is this?

Did you get your money back?

I don't know what planet some companies are on when it comes to shipping to NI. I get a regular supplier shipping to me that sends 3 copies of the invoice and 3 copies of the picking list for "customs"!

Yep - I have mentioned this on quite a few occasions in the past particularly when some reputable RFDs who had been sending me goods suddenly stopped supplying NI citing Brexit and additional paperwork as the reasons for stopping whilst oddly others continued to send items without any problems!
To be fair there was much initial confusion after Brexit but now there should be no doubt around that NI is still very much “sendable to” - only last week I received a rifle stock from an SD member and on many occasions since Brexit have received and sent “projectiles” and other sporting goods from and to many SD members and RFDs pretty much all over the UK. Yet as late as last night whilst looking for fence paint two out of four companies “do not supply NI”!
It is perhaps worth mentioning again that NI is also standard UK postal rate - just like sending something to the rest of the UK - sooo SD members really do not need to specify “Mainland only” when selling goods. Gosh! We even use Sterling and have passports just like the rest of the UK…
Finally, from what I see it is pretty common practice on Evil Bay to advertise goods at below the going rate then “load” the P&P to make up the so-called “saving”. Frustrating but there you go….
🦊🦊

Yep - I have mentioned this on quite a few occasions in the past particularly when some reputable RFDs who had been sending me goods suddenly stopped supplying NI citing Brexit and additional paperwork as the reasons for stopping whilst oddly others continued to send items without any problems!
To be fair there was much initial confusion after Brexit but now there should be no doubt around that NI is still very much “sendable to” - only last week I received a rifle stock from an SD member and on many occasions since Brexit have received and sent “projectiles” and other sporting goods from and to many SD members and RFDs pretty much all over the UK. Yet as late as last night whilst looking for fence paint two out of four companies “do not supply NI”!
It is perhaps worth mentioning again that NI is also standard UK postal rate - just like sending something to the rest of the UK - sooo SD members really do not need to specify “Mainland only” when selling goods. Gosh! We even use Sterling and have passports just like the rest of the UK…
Finally, from what I see it is pretty common practice on Evil Bay to advertise goods at below the going rate then “load” the P&P to make up the so-called “saving”. Frustrating but there you go….
🦊🦊
Traders on eBay used to sell cheaper then load the shipping cost so they could avoid some of eBay's sales charges.
eBay eventually sussed that on out and (I think) changed things to stop it.
Ken.

Hi have to deal with the same sh*t simply because I live in the Highlands. It does my head it. If all they did was add 5p to the cost of shipping everywhere, they could easily cover any extra costs to Scotland or NI, but they can't be ars*d.

Unlike you guys, we also get the 'you're not mainland UK', to which my response is always 'Yes I am. Last time a checked there wasn't a bridge to Scotland''. They you get 'Oh, well your not mainland, mainland'. If you don't ship to mainland UK, don't say you ship to mainland UK. If you say you offer 'free mainland shipping', don't try to charge me £25 postage to my part of the UK mainland.

I've literally had to spend hundreds every year just getting things shipped that'd be free or little money if I lived south of Perth. I've even had companies in Newcastle charge me £20 postage, while they'll send to Lands End (coming on for twice the distance) for free. Bonkers. And don't even think about trying to get primers or caps shipped, that's going to be £100 in shipping at the least!

Wait till they're privately owned, I get the Czech fella that,s buying it is a billionaire for a reason.
I believe that price will skyrocket as the redundancy papers go out.

Hi have to deal with the same sh*t simply because I live in the Highlands. It does my head it. If all they did was add 5p to the cost of shipping everywhere, they could easily cover any extra costs to Scotland or NI, but they can't be ars*d.

Unlike you guys, we also get the 'you're not mainland UK', to which my response is always 'Yes I am. Last time a checked there wasn't a bridge to Scotland''. They you get 'Oh, well your not mainland, mainland'. If you don't ship to mainland UK, don't say you ship to mainland UK. If you say you offer 'free mainland shipping', don't try to charge me £25 postage to my part of the UK mainland.

I've literally had to spend hundreds every year just getting things shipped that'd be free or little money if I lived south of Perth. I've even had companies in Newcastle charge me £20 postage, while they'll send to Lands End (coming on for twice the distance) for free. Bonkers. And don't even think about trying to get primers or caps shipped, that's going to be £100 in shipping at the least!
Not wishing to rub it in but NI is definitely not mainland but yet standard UK postal rates apply! Unlike your part of the world which unless there has been a seismic shift (see wot I did there) very definitely still is mainland UK.
🦊🦊

I can’t be ar$ed arguing with them anymore. I get it delivered to my son (Wiltshire) and he posts it on to me.
DG
Not wishing to rub it in but NI is definitely not mainland but yet standard UK postal rates apply! Unlike your part of the world which unless there has been a seismic shift (see wot I did there) very definitely still is mainland UK.
🦊🦊

🦊🦊
And you still have the EFP and freedom of movement into and out of the EU. As Rishi Said - “best of both worlds”. Shame that the we are now all 2nd class citizens.

If this counts as a “massive disappointment” then you must have led a very charmed life! 😉.
When calculating postage for a small business don’t forget to factor the cost of time, Jiffy bags and fuel to get to the post office and not only the price of the stamps!

My sympathies, getting stuff delivered to the Isle of Wight can be both problematic and expensive despite the fact that Royal Mail and some other couriers deliver here at national rates.

eBay charges commission on the total transaction price including the postage costs. Therefore if the actual cost to pack, wrap, take to the post office and the cost of the postage is say £10 eBay will charge say 12% or £1.20 commission on that. So the seller is now out of pocket by £1.20. So to recoup that they have to charge not the actual £10 cost but £10 PLUS enough to cover the eBay £1.20 commission. So that £10 has now become £11.20.

But! As the commission on that £11.20 will be if 12% actually £1.34 so to still not be out of pocket that £11.20 must become something like £11.50. And if, as eBay demands, end receiver tracking must be provided postage costs on high value items over the standard post office allowed value increase.

As others say postage isn't just what the stamps cost it is also time, packing materials and transport to the post office from the seller's premises plus then eBay commission.

If this counts as a “massive disappointment” then you must have led a very charmed life! 😉.
When calculating postage for a small business don’t forget to factor the cost of time, Jiffy bags and fuel to get to the post office and not only the price of the stamps!
That applies for everyone not just few businesses. My local RFD is a very small business but he never walked or drove to the post office. Everything is collected from his store. Most places from "mainland" I shop from send for free or charging real price

Back