Massive disappointment: CZ 527

Muir

Well.
The four month wait for my new suppressor-ready CZ 527 in 7.62x39 ended last night. This was a "new for 2017" configuration and I was pretty excited about it. Indeed, enough so that I paid $740 up front to assure delivery. I must say that I am a little miffed at CZ. The issue is the synthetic stock. It is the worst form of 'tupperware' stock - the kind stock that makers of cheap .22's abandoned back in the 90s. I would compare it to my son's old Howa .223 but that would do the Howa an injustice. Adding to the misery of a crap stock is the fact that while the barrel is free floating, it's free floating u-g-l-y. There is a gap on the right just big enough to cleanly slip a US dollar bill through but on the left there is a gaping 5/32 - 3/16 of an inch. It is an embarrassment. I sent CZ an email requesting a new stock but they will insist on me returning the entire rifle and I'm not in the mood. Instead I ordered a walnut varmint stock from CZ USA's close out rack for $107.

None of this means that the rifle will be inaccurate. To the contrary, I've never seen a CZ 527 that was not a tack driver. My 7.62x39 carbine is a good example: easily a half minute rifle. Likewise my other 527's. This rifle will follow suit but I can't help feel that i paid a premium price for a barreled action. Before you ask, in the US you cannot return a rifle for refund. The best i can hope for is that CZ sends me a new synthetic and heeds my advice to pull that piece of crap stock off of that model and just install "American" style stocks made of walnut.

I'm shooting it tomorrow. ~Muir

I've just got one of the tikka t3x varmints. While the stock is 'adequate' I wouldn't say its top class and certainly not as good quality as A Steyr Scout I used to own. Shoots fantastically well though

I looked at a CZ Varminter once with a laminate stock in .308. That had an off-centre fore end as well. Massive gap one side and hairline crack the other. Wasn't impressed at all. Bought a used Tikka in the end. There must be dozens of after market stocks available for a 527.
If its not natural wood, I prefer laminate, but not the way CZ make them.

Well.
The four month wait for my new suppressor-ready CZ 527 in 7.62x39 ended last night. This was a "new for 2017" configuration and I was pretty excited about it. Indeed, enough so that I paid $740 up front to assure delivery. I must say that I am a little miffed at CZ. The issue is the synthetic stock. It is the worst form of 'tupperware' stock - the kind stock that makers of cheap .22's abandoned back in the 90s. I would compare it to my son's old Howa .223 but that would do the Howa an injustice. Adding to the misery of a crap stock is the fact that while the barrel is free floating, it's free floating u-g-l-y. There is a gap on the right just big enough to cleanly slip a US dollar bill through but on the left there is a gaping 5/32 - 3/16 of an inch. It is an embarrassment. I sent CZ an email requesting a new stock but they will insist on me returning the entire rifle and I'm not in the mood. Instead I ordered a walnut varmint stock from CZ USA's close out rack for $107.

None of this means that the rifle will be inaccurate. To the contrary, I've never seen a CZ 527 that was not a tack driver. My 7.62x39 carbine is a good example: easily a half minute rifle. Likewise my other 527's. This rifle will follow suit but I can't help feel that i paid a premium price for a barreled action. Before you ask, in the US you cannot return a rifle for refund. The best i can hope for is that CZ sends me a new synthetic and heeds my advice to pull that piece of crap stock off of that model and just install "American" style stocks made of walnut.

I'm shooting it tomorrow. ~Muir

This would not happen if you did not have so many guns :D. Hope they see yu right Cuz, but if I was you I would not hold my breath.

John

Surely a good reason to very carefully inspect any rifle you're going to buy..?
Of course. In this case I saw them processing it across a room before it was reboxed and carried by a store employee to the front foor of the store. By that time, it was mine. I doubt if I would have refused the rifle, but would have requested a different stock be ordered. ~Muir

ha ha, might have to do that with the walnut stock anyway.

By the way we offer to bed for t3's in our stocks at production site with a modified T3 action. Works fantastic but in a hunter stock I had two cases when fitting the customers action the barrel went to one side of the barrel channel.... with another T3 barrelled action it was centre... seems even some T3's barrels might be fitted a bit "off". This was two out of a few hundred.
edi

Muir, are you sure the stock is the problem ? I have a .222 CZ 527 on which I tried fitting a synthetic stock, and had exactly the same problem as you. I thought the stock was off center, but found out it was actually the barrel that was slightly off center. I had bought it second hand and have kept it, and am still using it. It is nevertheless very acurate.

I thought of that. The barrel is quite straight. MY friend bought the exact same rifle, ordered a day after mine, and he accompanied me to the range this evening for their initial test fire. His rifle is identical to mine in every respect including the cock-eyed barrel channel.

The good part is that both rifles are tack drivers. We shot Wolf "WPA" 123 grain HP and some of my 123 grain Hornady handloads. The Hornady shot one hole. The $3.99/bx wolf shot about half inch. My 527 Varmint stock is en route. Even if the bedding was right I could not abide that cheesy stock. It would have needed to go regardless.~Muir

Thanks for the update, Muir, and for making us green with envy! Cheap Wolf ammo sounds nice. Is that the steel case stuff? Also what type of bullet is it?

Last edited:
I've heard people say the cz was good on here. I choose to ignore them as I thought they didn't know what they are talking about. Seems I was right .

I've heard people say the cz was good on here. I choose to ignore them as I thought they didn't know what they are talking about. Seems I was right .
You paint with a wide brush, friend.
You've never heard me say that CZ's are bad. Nor was my post meant to infer that CZ's in general were not "good". I have five centerfire CZ rifles and three or four rimfires. This latest addition is the only one that seems to be poorly executed, and then on the stock only. For pure accuracy, I don't think they can be beaten -and that is what shooting is about, and what I buy a rifle for. Am I happy about the stock? No. Would I get rid of the half MOA rifle because of it? Absolutely not.~Muir

I thought of grinding the action recess out and shifting the whole works left, but simply ordering a walnut stock seemed the better plan.~MUir
hi Muir have you tried 5/6 sheets of paper in between the barrel and stock and then 're tightening

Thanks for the update, Muir, and for making us green with envy! Cheap Wolf ammo sounds nice. Is that the steel case stuff? Also what type of bullet is it?
It is. It has a polymer coating on the case and a thin copper wash/plate on the mild steel bullet. The bullet is a HP. It's non corrosive. Personally, I had to swallow hard before I shot steel bullets through my new baby but CZ actually recommends such steel cased ammo. They say straight out that US, SAAMI spec 7.62x39 ammo might not function well in their rifles. Backing that up are all the YouTube vids of guys test firing their CZ's with this ammo, or testing various eastern bloc munitions using the CZ as a platform. Even Hornady loads a 123 grain polymer tipped bullet in steel cases for American consumption. This is a video of the Wolf being fired through a CZ carbine. ~Muir
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=919b48f7dca3768fcdb85805751ae84f&action=view

Last edited:
I haven't. As I said, the barrel is free floating but it is done ugly. The action is a suction fit in the molded stock and the barrel is clear to the shank. Of course, i could mechanically move the stock to center on the barrel but invariably that would put pressure on the barrel.~Muir

It is. It has a polymer coating on the case and a thin copper wash/plate on the mild steel bullet. The bullet is a HP. It's non corrosive. Personally, I had to swallow hard before I shot steel bullets through my new baby but CZ actually recommends such steel cased ammo. They say straight out that US, SAAMI spec 7.62x39 ammo might not function well in their rifles. Backing that up are all the YouTube vids of guys test firing their CZ's with this ammo, or testing various eastern bloc munitions using the CZ as a platform. Even Hornady loads a 123 grain polymer tipped bullet in steel cases for American consumption. This is a video of the Wolf being fired through a CZ carbine. ~Muir
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=919b48f7dca3768fcdb85805751ae84f&action=view

A steel bullet! Very interesting. Glad your rifle shoots so well.

Back