Mauser M12 Extreme - Changing the synthetic stock sling swivel?

Ozalid

As per the header, does anyone know whether the stock sling swivel is screwed in as per a timber stock, glued in or otherwise fixed? My dealers answer is to remove the sling loop leaving the tiny stud in place then buy smaller sling adapters, but this seems ludicrous to me, what were Mauser thinking about when they designed this?

I just want to replace it with a standard sling stud for quick release swivels, its a pain in the ass having to re-thread every time I want to remove or change the sling.

Cheers
Al

Cottis

Typical Mauser. I got fed up so bought Mauser sling which just lives on the rifle now. In fairness, it is a really good sling but I am with you i terms of them refusing to join the masses. Probably a Blaser assosication thing. Are Sauer the same?

Solution wise, just screw out the existing stud and epoxy the resulting hole and neaten and then put a new hole in for your new chosen stud. If it is a synth stock, JB weld dries a very similar colour I imagine. Once that cures, it will never move.

Ozalid

Solution wise, just screw out the existing stud and epoxy the resulting hole and neaten and then put a new hole in for your new chosen stud. If it is a synth stock, JB weld dries a very similar colour I imagine. Once that cures, it will never move.
Not the solution for me I'm afraid, it has to be right, my OCD couldn't live with a messy fix :cuckoo:

FISH BOY

I take it your talking about the Extreme which has small holes on rifle sling attachment eyes. Interestingly the M12 Impact has large eyes on it... Go figure.

Cant say I messed around with it Im afraid, just bought a new sling and leave it on the rifle.

Koenig

I had this problem on my Synthetic stock. JB weld the screw in. It will never move with that stuff on it.

Ozalid

What ****es me off is that I sent a very polite enquiry to Mauser and never even had the courtesy of a reply.
It’s things like this that will influence my decision when buying my next rifle.

Rider

I really don't know where the problem lies.
There are 8mm swivel studs with a 3,6mm hole (US version) and 6mm studs with a 3.0mm hole (Euro version).
The M12 is obviously equipped with 6mm studs for which you can also buy detachables swivels.

Just remove the loop as per your dealer's recommendation and get the correct swivels.

Ozalid

If you don't understand, try reading the first post again. I'm simply asking how to replace the stock sling swivel, not asking for how to put up with what Ive got, I already know that. Thanks.

ejg

I just stay well clear of the Isny outfit and their products. Rather go for a honestly made product from Finland, What size swivel studs are being used by say Heym? The stocks we supply to them are with standard US made fittings. Blaser/Mauser /Sauer philosophy is to make fittings that don't work for any attachment other than their own. Even Spartan must make a bipod and attachment that is .5mm different. That is just bad form.
edi

Rider

If you don't understand, try reading the first post again. I'm simply asking how to replace the stock sling swivel, not asking for how to put up with what Ive got, I already know that. Thanks.
Well then, just unscrew it and screw in another stud of your choice. If you are unlucky the countering nut (if there is one) on the inside will displace during the process, in which case you will have to remove the buttplate.

Ozalid

I just stay well clear of the Isny outfit and their products. Rather go for a honestly made product from Finland
Yes, I was advised by a friend to go for the Tikka T3 but my dealer is Blaser and I had cash burning a hole in my pocket, so I went for what I thought was the best value for money, to be fair I think the M12 is a very good rifle, but I find any manufacturer who has no regard for customer service arrogant and irritating.

Rider

Yes, I was advised by a friend to go for the Tikka T3 but my dealer is Blaser and I had cash burning a hole in my pocket, so I went for what I thought was the best value for money, to be fair I think the M12 is a very good rifle, but I find any manufacturer who has no regard for customer service arrogant and irritating.
Quite right. Though this is entirely an issue of the country presence. Blaser/Mauser service in Germany is excellent and unrivaled, whereas Sako/Tikka is so so.

Actually I had the exact same issue as you. So I e-mailed Blaser if they could supply me with US-Standard studs. Two day later I had them in the post free of any charge.