mauser M96 straight pull in 270 win

night stalker

Hi my mates Mauser M96 won’t fire and needs a new main spring part number 24 on the parts diagram. My problem is I can’t find one anywhere apart from numrich and that’s not viable. Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding one or a couple a couple in the UK

Thanks

Rick

Uncle f

Could try John/Rupert at R J Blackwalls in Oxford they are Mauser main dealers just a suggestion bud *01608 811319‬

good luck

enfieldspares

Do you have the old spring? I needed a self-opener spring for my Manufrance 16 bore recently. Standard style compression spring. What with all the effort of sourcing one in France since their law change I contacted a spring maker here in UK. Twenty Pounds for two. Bespoke made using the old one as a pattern. So it may be worth a look on the internet for local spring makers. A compression spring is what you need to ask for. Take the firing pin as well as the old spring with you so they've an idea of the internal diameter. They'll count the coils, measure the thickness of the wire and the length and outside diameter of the spring. Job done.

JohnT

Do you have the old spring? I needed a self-opener spring for my Manufrance 16 bore recently. Standard style compression spring. What with all the effort of sourcing one in France since their law change I contacted a spring maker here in UK. Twenty Pounds for two. Bespoke made using the old one as a pattern. So it may be worth a look on the internet for local spring makers. A compression spring is what you need to ask for. Take the firing pin as well as the old spring with you so they've an idea of the internal diameter. They'll count the coils, measure the thickness of the wire and the length and outside diameter of the spring. Job done.

Very sound advice, as long as you can give the original length of the spring. This is important in that the "power" of the spring relies on how much it is compressed. If the original length is short, the amount of compression is reduced and so is the resultant force due to the compression. This may possibly be the cause of the rifle not firing, the spring has become shorter over time due to repeated compression. That is how some people are able to effect a temporary "fix" by stretching the spring. This will restore the length but not the temper, so the effect is only temporary.

Markfox

As said speak to Rupert at RJ Blackwell’s he’s a great guy and always willing to help

do you know the age of it as I think there’s a 10 year warranty so they may repair it FOC

my mate just said google this company name below as they bought all the Mauser spares from Mauser when they got bought out by sig I’ve never heard of them do I can’t comment

Gustav Jehn

Last edited:

night stalker

Thanks for the info have been trying to ring them but was engaged every, time will try again next week

Cheers

Rick