Mauser,Sauer,Blaser--Lead free bullets

stevenedwards

Does any one have experience, successful or otherwise, of using non lead bullets in these rifles which I believe all have the same 8.66 twist rate used in 6.5x55 barrels.
I have not been able to load anything so far that works well. Depending on projectile groups at 100 yds are in the 2 inch territory. The rifle will put 120gr NBT and 130gr Sierras into 0.6 of an inch or less.
Thank you.

philip

I’m using 35 grn NTX in my R8 SP. .222. 168 grn NTX in my R93 6.5 x 55 and 168 grn NTX in my .308 R8 SP

All work related rounds, specified by client for NTX rounds, variance on the .308 is 13mm at a 100 yds between 165 grn lead soft point and the NTX

I started testing out factory NTX due to FC rumours they may be changing to NTX and factory rounds only the NTX bit wasn’t taken up ( yet) and that would be the same for FC leases, I’ve not reloaded any for the 6.5 as I found it hard to locate NTX rounds

Hope that is of some help

stevenedwards

I’m using 35 grn NTX in my R8 SP. .222. 168 grn NTX in my R93 6.5 x 55 and 168 grn NTX in my .308 R8 SP

All work related rounds, specified by client for NTX rounds, variance on the .308 is 13mm at a 100 yds between 165 grn lead soft point and the NTX

I started testing out factory NTX due to FC rumours they may be changing to NTX and factory rounds only the NTX bit wasn’t taken up ( yet) and that would be the same for FC leases, I’ve not reloaded any for the 6.5 as I found it hard to locate NTX rounds

Hope that is of some help
Very interesting thank you. How did the 168 NTX group in the 6.5, it seems big for a 6.5

Alantoo

In a .308W R8 standard barrel 1:11 twist I have been using the lighter bullets. 110gr TTSX have averaged 0.609" over 9no. 5-shot groups and 130gr TTSX which have averaged 0.846" over 37no. 5-shot groups. I have only shot a few 5-shot groups of FOX 130gr but after doing a safety test of singles I made a few 5-shot groups which were around the factory load, the three just over the factory 45gr of N135 were 0.610" and 2no. at 0.802".

If you want to try factory made then Edinburgh rifles supplies FOX ammunition...but you probably know that.

Alan

Rutland lad

I'm using 120 grain BARNES TSX in my 6.5 x 55 Mauser MO3. Handloaded using Swiss RS 60 powder. Three rounds at 100 yards can be covered by a one pence piece. I'm sure if I played about a bit with the seating depth I'd be able to tighten that, but when you're shooting deer, there's really no need.
I also handload for my .300 winmag with 180 grain BARNES TSX and they area lmost keyholing at 100 yards.

philip

Very interesting thank you. How did the 168 NTX group in the 6.5, it seems big for a 6.5
all the zeroing came out good on all calibres, 6.5 ended up with approx 14 mm drop at a 100 yd’s compared to the lead SP.
160ish grn bullet the 6.5 is a steady round. however i found a 6.5 mod to tight for the heavy rounds it swaged the mod causing opened up multi shots on paper so i changed to a 30 cal mod - problem disappeared instantly. bang on zero after that sub .75 of an inch all day

philip

all the zeroing came out good on all calibres, 6.5 ended up with approx 14 mm drop at a 100 yd’s compared to the lead SP.
160ish grn bullet the 6.5 is a steady round. however i found a 6.5 mod to tight for the heavy rounds it swaged the mod causing opened up multi shots on paper so i changed to a 30 cal mod - problem disappeared instantly. bang on zero after that sub .75 of an inch all day that’s on a standard barrel blaser R93

stevenedwards

Rutland that is very encouraging I can get similar groups with Barnes in my .243 just not the 6.5, yet.
Do you have any load details you could share such as seating depth, fps.
Many thanks

Bandooki

I'm using 120 grain BARNES TSX in my 6.5 x 55 Mauser MO3. Handloaded using Swiss RS 60 powder. Three rounds at 100 yards can be covered by a one pence piece. I'm sure if I played about a bit with the seating depth I'd be able to tighten that, but when you're shooting deer, there's really no need.
I also handload for my .300 winmag with 180 grain BARNES TSX and they area lmost keyholing at 100 yards.
Out of interest what powder are you using for the .300 winmag? Looking for some load for data for the same combo.
Regards
B

Rider

Barnes 120 TTSX and Fox 123gr
Try the 100 grs versions of the same bullets. Compared to their leaded mates these all-copper bullets are longer given the same weight. This in turn would require a shorter twist rate of the barrel. Therefore go lighter to come back into the correct length range.

Rusty Gate

Sorry for side stepping the thread but just while your all on the subject, what's the best priced non lead manufacturer you've found. I'm stocked up but might research loads while I run these down.
PM me if ok so not to derail the thread, thanks in advance.