Maybe the rut has started?

willie_gunn

Out this morning walking the dogs and spied a buck and doe on the far side of the field. I've seen them here earlier in the week, chasing away another doe, but they didn't seem to be showing much interest otherwise.

_DJR9859_zpsvrahmwak.jpg

I thought I'd experiment, so i grabbed a couple of leaves from the hedge and tried squeaking the buck. I normally use a Buttolo, so I tried to mimic the same sound. After a few abortive attempts I managed a reasonable fiep, at which the buck immediately put up his head and tried to locate the sound.

_DJR9863_zpsn135gv5t.jpg

With the doe trailing behind, the buck made his way over the field towards me in double-quick time, jumping and running in the classic style of a buck during the rut.

_DJR9871_zpsxhwdxyol.jpg

_DJR9873_zpshpgjzfrx.jpg

_DJR9876_zpsqzxcxi2d.jpg

Eventually he ended up about 75 meters away from me, where he stayed for probably 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. I was partially hidden by the hedge, but he could tell something wasn't quite right. I'd had to take my gloves off to squeak, and each leaf was only lasting for half a dozen attempts, so there was enough movement to make him suspicious.

_DJR9903_zpsoewkasti.jpg

_DJR9906_zpswb93b3n8.jpg

_DJR9914_zpsxrt5vvtx.jpg

_DJR9910_zpsja81y0uv.jpg

Eventually he lost interest and ambled back to the doe, but not before I'd had a chance to grab the photos you see here.

Super photos, rut started? maybe! though it is very early, bucks showing interesting in does yes , reacting to a call yes , but the actual rut
maybe, a roe buck is basically sexually capable for all the time he is in hard antler his interest increasing during spring and summer but the actual rut can't start until a doe comes into season.

The roe doe's season like that of many deer is controlled by daylight, the shortening day triggers a hormone that brings on oestrus, it requires around twenty minutes less light each day to trigger the change, are the days twenty minutes sborter since the longest day?
suppose it will close, so I suppose its possible.

The rut does seem to start around the same time each year in any given area, so when do you normally see rutting activity in your area ? in my area the 27th July seems to be the optimum day never much more than a coup!e of days either side of that.

Super photos, rut started? maybe! though it is very early, bucks showing interesting in does yes , reacting to a call yes , but the actual rut
maybe, a roe buck is basically sexually capable for all the time he is in hard antler his interest increasing during spring and summer but the actual rut can't start until a doe comes into season.

The roe doe's season like that of many deer is controlled by daylight, the shortening day triggers a hormone that brings on oestrus, it requires around twenty minutes less light each day to trigger the change, are the days twenty minutes sborter since the longest day?
suppose it will close, so I suppose its possible.

The rut does seem to start around the same time each year in any given area, so when do you normally see rutting activity in your area ? in my area the 27th July seems to be the optimum day never much more than a coup!e of days either side of that.

Could this continuous rain and overcast days fool them with daylight hours? I haven't a clue so genuine question.

Could this continuous rain and overcast days fool them with daylight hours? I haven't a clue so genuine question.

Perhaps, I don't know, that's what I find so interesting about roe , there is so much about them that is still a mystery, no one has all the answers.

Was out last night on our ground on the Wiltshire Berkshire Oxfordshire border and didn't see a single buck. Just does grazzing away quietly.

I was out Friday and no bucks to be seen which is unusual as there is a buck that lives in the neighbours field and I always see him. Saw a couple of does. Mind you no Munties either. Don't know if it was the weather or just me.

Tried to call in a roe buck on Saturday and to my surprise a Muntjack doe jumped out of the woods. It didn't stand around long and dived back in before I could set up :D

gave it another couple of squekes and she poped her head out again.

Shame about the messy neck shot because she was in lovely condition.

2016-07-09 06.51.58.jpg

Last edited:
Great Picture Dom Rut well I would say not he looks like a youngster with a death wish take a picture in two weeks time I will guess he will be no were near her and she will have a big lad giving her the good new,s lol.

I particularly like your 6th picture would make a nice shot for a frame. Well done on all photos there all great

Back