McMillan stock fitting

Beretta shooter

Evening all,
I recently purchased a second hand McMillan stock for my sako 85 and after reading that in most cases it’s just a case of dropping the action in I thought I’d do it tonight. Now the action is a little tight in places going into the stock and the trigger guard / magazine plate are also a little tight in places (more than enough clearance in others). Is it normal to need to fettle the stock a little in places or are they normally a pretty good fit? Also what do you normally use when needing to do a little trimming?
Many thanks BS.

ejg

If you have spent the money on a composite stock already, why not make it perfect by getting it professionally bedded. I think good bedding is the second most important thing on a rifle. For relieving you can use hand tools such as files scraper etc. or a Dremel.. carefully.
edi

bluesako

i have mcmillan stocks on my rifles, and all have been bedded, but i tried a friends mcmillan stock on one of my rifles and it was a straight drop in and it worked awsome, still put the same groups in as my bedded stock, so i would say, see how it shoots first, and then make your mind up about a bedding job, i had one stock years ago that was a bit tight on the floor plate, 10 minutes with some wet and dry paper and a scalpel, and BINGO, good luck its not a big job. ronin in carnforth does a an awsome bedding job if you want it doing, great bloke. bs.

Beretta shooter

Thanks guys, that was my plan to be honest. Get it dropped in without needing to force it etc and see how it shoots. It’s quite a bit heavier than I had imagined it would be so I might decide it’s not for me so would rather try it for a few weeks and see how I get on with it before having it bedded. I had thought a dremel, small file and wet and dry but wanted to make sure first. It’s not needing much taken off at all.
Cheers BS

Whitebeard

It is always best to Pillar bed a Mcm stock ,the stock filler material is not that hard and will compress when the action screws are tightened, also cleaning solvents will soften it.

Ian.

ejg

Agree with Ian, generally its is better to bed a stock. Filled epoxy is stronger...stiffer and harder than the air it will replace. A pillar bedded stock will keep the rifle shooting well long term, not bedded action screw tension might change, action will bounce back and forth. Also the chance of splitting the stock is much higher.
edi

palo

My mate bought a new boyds laminate stock for his sako 85.
It dropped straight in and he torqued the action screws.
Took it to the range and fired one shot and it snapped the 2 action screws in half.
It did go for a bedding job after that.