McNab

lochty

Stag circa £500, brace of grouse circa £150 days fishing say £100 plus whatever premium the estate charge for the attempt. So at least £1000 upwards.

lochty

i guess the next question is, where do you go? any recommendations?
Gannochy estate near Edzell always features in the reviews, as does Tulchan near Glen Isla. Atholl estates might be worth a look as well. Or try George Goldsmith sporting agent in Edinburgh.

Tazz

From what I have read the tricky bit in the triangle now is the Salmon, given lots of guys go to good Salmon rivers to spend big money drowning flies without even a take very often

caorach

Talk to Russell:

Or try Amhuinnsuidhe for a real classic hill McNab, there was a chap on here who got an Amhuinnsuidhe McNab in an auction and filed a report. I think he missed out on the salmon:

muddy42

To be fair, that is the only way I could afford a MacNab.

This was done a few years ago and featured in the field.

Some young bucks wrote to four estates stating their intention to do the real MacNab. Three estates said F off, if I see you anywhere near my land I'll call the police.

One said yes. The date and rules of engagement were confirmed. Three stalkers and estate workers were told to keep watch and catch him. On the day the stalkers took a long circuitous route in, shot the stag at 4am and dragged it out the way they came. They laid up for the rest of the day. Later that night they dumped the stag, bottle of whisky and letter from John MacNab himself on the landowners doorstep and bolted.

caorach

My advice would be to get the salmon early and first!
Or if you are a purist do the real MacNab by the book and bag a salmon or a stag, undetected by the landowner.

The salmon is the tricky bit as it choses to take your fly, whereas you decide to shoot the other stuff. So you've no control at all over whether it will take the fly or not. These days many people book a day to do a MacNab well in advance and so they have no real choice on conditions etc. when the day comes along. This does put them at a great disadvantage and you are correct that they should try for the salmon first. However, as most will have paid upfront for a MacNab the modern trend is to try early for the salmon and after a while to then go on to the grouse and stag before returning to the salmon again once the others are in the bag. That way if you don't get the salmon at least you get the grouse and stag for your money.

Ideally you want to be in a position to fish in reasonable conditions over a period of some days and if you happen to get an early morning salmon then you declare the MacNab as "on" and go for it but these days it isn't so common to be able to do that which is a shame.

lochty

We had a lot of attempts when I worked at Mar Lodge, but I only ever saw one successful one. The salmon were the problem, difficult to get at the back end of the season. The estates I suggested have autumn runs of fish which MIGHT help.