Measuring Chinese Water Deer Heads

Thitlew

Does anyone know if there is anyone near Northumberland that can measure Chinese water deer heads?

Does anyone know if there is anyone near Northumberland that can measure Chinese water deer heads?

You will be able to post the tusks to the nearest person in cic. They are easy to measure yourself, so you can get a decent idea....

You will be able to post the tusks to the nearest person in cic. They are easy to measure yourself, so you can get a decent idea....
It’s not that easy now, all the cwd I’ve had measured have had the skull as well as the teeth.

It’s not that easy now, all the cwd I’ve had measured have had the skull as well as the teeth.
Hi, I am under the assumption that for CWD, in both cic and basc, is purely based on length of tusk, plus circumference of tooth at widest point, added together and subtract the differences in between tusks. I also believe that Basc simply use the length measurement as they are basing all the circumfrences as 30mm, which is not accurate IMO. But i will stand corrected. You do not need the skull, as it served no purpose in the scoring criteria.

Thanks for the replies, the cwd (my first) is a cape taxidermy, that someone mentioned might be worth getting checked

Thanks for the replies, the cwd (my first) is a cape taxidermy, that someone mentioned might be worth getting checked
If it is an adult male without damage then it will be a gold. They are all golds. Now, getting a silver, that's much harder! lol.

If they’re hollow/open at the root it’s young, when adult they seal over the end of the tusks.....

Thanks for the info as had assumed the bigger and more knarly gum ends meant an older animal.

One on the top came from a much bigger animal, coupled with the ends leading me to think it was more mature. Lol 2+2 =9.:rolleyes:

Only ever taken a couple, so every day is a school day:thumb:

ED1BF968-0293-4D4E-9A95-DA9B20CDFF52.jpeg

Sorry, seeing the photos you meant hollow at the tips.... those both look fused at the root end? In which case older mature animals, if they have a hollow root that is indicative of youth, but those look old, not seen them open up like that on the tip but like you haven’t had much experience with them just know the root seals over when they reach maturity.

Going on the advice earlier they are only 5 cm from gum line so not good enough

Attachments

• F7DC4CE5-1674-4507-B46B-FD5FDCF17A3D.jpeg
    F7DC4CE5-1674-4507-B46B-FD5FDCF17A3D.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 89
  • B6D0F7CE-D0C0-466A-BC7A-5AA92D145E93.jpeg
    B6D0F7CE-D0C0-466A-BC7A-5AA92D145E93.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 90
As they get older the tips of their tusks often become cracked, the hollow points are probably because the very fine tips sheared off. Roots fused and solid like that definitely indicate a very mature buck. nice one.
As per #19, it's the length of the whole tooth which counts, there's up to 1/3 of the total length hidden in the gum, so 5cm showing might be 7.5cm total, that's a good buck

Back