meateater netflix

Mick9abf

I really like the series, probably because Steve Rinella comes across as a genuine no bull sportsman who loves his his pastime and isn’t scared to say so, the programs show the highs and lows of his various hunting trips and he seems the sort of guy you’d happily have a laugh with swapping stories over a few beers.

spannulman

I have watched several series and I love it. He is honest about the realities of hunting.something that bugs me with uk magazines where every outing seems to end with a medal trophy of some kind which is perfectly shot. ‘and then we shot another medal buck on the way back to the car’

Steve has blank days and has to follow up wounded animals. What I like best though is what he says about suffering and fun. He says the days where you get a beast easily is like cheap fun, whereas the days one struggles and have the worst physical challenge to get to a shot opportunity and then get baulked by a hind you didn’t see after a three hour stalk but end up with meat in the freezer is the high value fun. But it takes a few days to realise it. much of my stalking is lIke that.

Whats vortex stuff like ? How would it stack up against the German optics ?
I have Vortex Golden Eagles on both of my Fclass guns and a Crossfire on my M&P15. They have fantastic clarity and are very well built. Personally I think my Golden Eagles are on par with far more expensive scopes out there.
But hands down the best thing about Vortex is their VIP warranty. You can basically do anything to the thing, just send it to them and it'll get fixed or replaced, no proof of purchase, nothing....for ever.
For me that's why all my glass now and in future will be Vortex :)

Also love Meat Eater, watched all 7 seasons of it !

Last edited:
I have Vortex Golden Eagles on both of my Fclass guns and a Crossfire on my M&P15. They have fantastic clarity and are very well built. Personally I think my Golden Eagles are on par with far more expensive scopes out there.
But hands down the best thing about Vortex is their VIP warranty. You can basically do anything to the thing, just send it to them and it'll get fixed or replaced, no proof of purchase, nothing....for ever.

Good points 6.5Guy & these are the reasons we decided to sell Vortex earlier this year.

I'm sure Phil375 didn't start this thread with Vortex PR in mind, however good feedback raised & well done to Steve Rinella for the show and his ethics!

spannulman

I have two pairs of their binos and can’t fault them, good price and the great warranty. But the supplier of vortex scopes in UK wasn’t great. You had to send an enquiry form stating the model you were interested in and I never heard back despite reminders. Can’t help feeling it was because I was looking at the £250 jobs, not the high end, but it might be they just forgot.

I gave up waiting and bought a meopta Artemis.

Heym SR20

Just love it - he has the lifestyle I would really like. Comes across as a really good guy to spend time with.

Sadly I have watched all the episodes and just waiting for him to do more. When its ****iing down, your tired, full of cold and generally fed up the bull**** of life and having to sit on trains etc just find netflix and escape!

Sheprador1973

Have watched them all several times and really enjoy. Have read one of his books too which is good - Adventures Of An American Hunter, I think. Tbh never noticed the product placement but it is subtle. Far more so than most shooting programmes in the uk & us! Yes he uses Vortex optics but have never heard him mention them in a programme. I have a lower end Vortex scope and it’s great. Warranty is a no brainer. Know one member on here who uses Vortex and Swaro z6i’s. He’s seriously considered selling the swaros as the Vs are so good! Personal opinion obviously.

Interesting as after being ‘jealous’ of US shooters for the opportunities they seemingly have, we don’t have to shell out on special licences and tags every time we go out.

I like the guys attitude too. He talks conservation and food prep as much a just ‘shootin’’.

howa243

Where can you watch the first 7 series please ?

Erik Hamburger

anyone else loving Steve rinella on Netflix, awesome show, some great stalking, tips on everything!, from stalking to butchering and cookery, never much liked Yankee TV for obvious reasons (ye-haas, 600yd pot shots etc) but this guys really humble has good ethics, check it out
What I like about this series is that Steven shows things going wrong as well thing going right. Bad shot placements, animals injured, unsuccessful hunts, making mistakes during the stalk and spooking the game, wind shifts, ...it is all in there. Just like in real life. What I don't like is that they don't seem to wear hearing protection (with un-moderated rifles!); and the food hygiene during the gralloch is questionable (bare hands!).

howa243

In the UK seasons 5-7 are on Netflix, other countries might differ. Seasons 1-4 I watched in the states with my grandparents on the sportsman channel. But as also stated, can be found lurking on the Internet
Thanks. Seen the ones on netflix but cannot find the others

What I like about this series is that Steven shows things going wrong as well thing going right. Bad shot placements, animals injured, unsuccessful hunts, making mistakes during the stalk and spooking the game, wind shifts, ...it is all in there. Just like in real life. What I don't like is that they don't seem to wear hearing protection (with un-moderated rifles!); and the food hygiene during the gralloch is questionable (bare hands!).
I guess hearing protections upto yourself, though maybe should be shown on TV to follow best practice, I don't while stalking but do for driven or hide shooting, or if it's v cold!! I've worked in catering / butchery for 30 years or so, never worn gloves, but carry anti-bac wipes, most chefs, butchers think washing hands is better

Just finished watching this mans series. Very impressed. Incidentally, MonarchCountryProducts.co.uk
are selling Vortex kit. I haven't tried their gear before, but just check out the warrantee!! I will definitely give them a go at some point - and I would point out that I have no commercial interest here.