Medal Bucks from this year and last with Sikamalc

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
3rd medal buck taken this year 6th August.

WP_000120.jpg

1st Medal Buck taken this year 12th July.

WP_000090.jpg

2nd medal buck taken this year 28th July

WP_000107.jpg

Still have at least 3 to 4 other medals left for next year including this one which we saw in May, which I estimate to be high silver possibly gold head. Still young and leaving him for a couple of years.

WP_000048.jpg

Finished on the Roe now and onto the Fallow.

Thank you to everyone that stalked with me over this Roe season, enjoyed your company and the total is 21 bucks, three of which I am fairly certain will go medal heads. Below is a photo of the two medal heads taken last year by my Finnish friends. The middle head was measured and confirmed as a gold and was off the opposite estate my friend runs. The head on the right is a confirmed gold off my ground and the one on the far left is a confirmed Silver off my ground. Hope you have enjoyed looking at them.

west sussex trophy bucks 018.jpg

ATB. Sikamalc

Last edited:

Pine Marten

Thanks Malc, and well done on the population management! Hopefully I'll be able to come round to your part of the world again next year. Maybe get a nice fallow pelt for Young Pine Marten to play on (his mother isn't keen though).

Swado

Very interesting how different the length, thickness and shape/style can vary between animals...

NickJ

Lovely heads - as good as they get. I thought with the cold spring (thus late flush of food) quality might have suffered but evidently not down with you Malc, good work.
Nick

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Lovely heads - as good as they get. I thought with the cold spring (thus late flush of food) quality might have suffered but evidently not down with you Malc, good work.
Nick

Well Nick you are partly right in your assumption. It has not been an easy season on the Roe Bucks. In so far that they have been deep in the cover most of the time and the late flush didn't really happen until well into April. I have not seen the amount of yearlings that we normally see either. I think that last heavy snowfall in late March did take a few out, and the few we have shot were under sized and very thin.

However the area has good feed and cover and it recovered quickly. I have always left a high population of does on the ground, and this seems to be paying off and drawing in Bucks. I am also of the belief that leaving high numbers of Bucks can have the opposite affect and puts them under a lot of stress. Therefore I have always culled hard all the rubbish heads as soon as possible.
I have seen more trophy heads this year than the last one and hopefully it will remain so for the future. I also hope that this coming winter is milder than the last one as it was horrendous at times.

NickJ

It's a policy that is working Malc that's for sure. I'd echo what you said about the yearling bucks.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Had a few enquires for next year already :eek:. I do get booked fairly quickly and have some overseas clients already pencilled in.

So if anyone wants to pencil in some dates well in advance please let me know via PM or call me on the mobile. Medal heads will not be available until I know how this winter has gone and what is still about.

Thanks.

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing