Medal Head..........do you fancy my chances?????

270Buck

I shot this buck on 17th April, so that makes it 93 days!!! I am getting it measured at the CLA Game Fair tomorrow.

To make it interesting, what CIC points do you think it will make?

It weights approx 550 grams as a full skull.

My guess is 131 CIC!!! Or am I being hopeful???

well done! nice trophy!

I guess the score in the range of 123-128 cic ..... not quite gold medal.

​-juha

you never know bud, keep your fingers crossed, i had one at 565 full skull and it only made 119cic i was gutted to say the least. It did loose 4 points straight away as the antlers were close together so go 0 for the span. But even with this i had measured it at around 128-132 (more than likely the lower end) but the big difference was the cornets. They were not level and i dipped them till the full cornet was under the water and the CIC guy at moy last year only dipped it till the very lowest (or higest whatever way u look at it) edge went under which ment 4/5 of the cornet wasnt submerged so the volume couldnt b accurate.

Hopefully you have better luck than me bud its a cracking head. it will be there or there abouts anyway:)

I think you are being hopeful. The span isnt great, it's not very symetrical, the pearling isnt the best and you will have 90 grams deducted aswell. Good luck all the same, it's still a nice set of antlers and I'd have them on my wall if i'd shot it.

Nice trophy mate but not to many beauty points my guess would be around 120 with that weight. Looks to have good volume and that will take it up.

Last edited:
It dont make a lot of sense ow they marked my gold, average on most then overall marks great, scoring contradicted itself

Well done, nice head!
With the CIC method I think there are 4 points max for span and I think there aren't any points at all for symmetry so don't worry about that, It's mainly down to weight and volume really. I reckon 123CIC points.
let us know how it scores........good luck

It dont make a lot of sense ow they marked my gold, average on most then overall marks great, scoring contradicted itself
Looking at the score sheet for your gold medal head, it seems that it was a big and heavy head, scored full marks for span, the only things it didn't score well on were colour, pearling and coronets (5 out of a possible 12 points) but in roe antlers it is size and weight that is important when hoping for a CIC medal, not the aesthetics. CIC don't give many marks for beauty, also lots of people seem to think a head must have a wide span for top marks but this is incorrect....the span should be in proportion to the overall length.
I think possibly the SCI judge a roe head more on span, length, tine length and beauty etc.

I think what swarovski is saying is that the head achieved average beauty points yet got full marks for regularity and symmetry. I'd agree that this seems slightly contradictory, but hard to say without seeing the head.

Novice

Exactly my thoughts novice.will post some photos later.i would agree with pearliog score but not the rest

I think what swarovski is saying is that the head achieved average beauty points yet got full marks for regularity and symmetry. I'd agree that this seems slightly contradictory, but hard to say without seeing the head.

Novice

I see what you are saying fella not but contradictory as individual scores are given for coronets,colour and pearling on merit and R and Q likewise. Did in fact drop a point for that and didn't score full.

Well.....my kitchen scales are clearly not accurate enough!!! On the scales on the BDS stand it only weighed 490 grams. So with the 90 gram deducted only weighed 400 grams.

Still made bronze. 105.72 points. My first roe medal :D, hopefully another one to come soon!!!!!

Back