Meindl dovres

deerstalker.308

How are people finding these currently? Longevity, leather cracking, general quality and value? In the market for new boots, but just checking what the current opinions are? I’ll be replacing Lowa hunters which have been excellent but the composite foam soles have started to degrade and crumble after 2.5 years which I’m not over the moon about so wanting something with a solid sole which won’t perish in that way....

I have a pair of size 11s for summer and single sock use and a pair of 12 bought second hand worn once off here for winter twin socks...11s are now 4 or 5 years old and 12s in their second or third beating season I think. Very pleased with them for comfort and quality...

I had a pair of the Le Chameau leather which were the most comfortable boots I had ever owned before but will probably replace these current ones with more Meindls.

Alan

Really excellent boots & they definitely have a hard sole. I've walked probably a couple of thousand miles in mine, often on hard track, & there's still almost no sign of wear. Of course the downside of a harder sole is that they are slippy as hell on wet smooth rock & stone & I am currently nursing a dislocated finger from a slip. Personally, I'd rather have softer, grippier soles & still have the full use of my right hand.

Really excellent boots & they definitely have a hard sole. I've walked probably a couple of thousand miles in mine, often on hard track, & there's still almost no sign of wear. Of course the downside of a harder sole is that they are slippy as hell on wet smooth rock & stone & I am currently nursing a dislocated finger from a slip. Personally, I'd rather have softer, grippier soles & still have the full use of my right hand.
I hope you’re finger gets better soon, but thank you for the extreme test you’ve undertaken for my benefit.....!
Seriously though, day to day, I’m on flat sandy soils of East Anglia so rocks aren’t a major concern, and I’m guessing they have the same soles my last pair of Borneo’s had which I never had a problem with.
Thanks both for the feedback chaps.

if you look after them properly and keep then coated as advised ( especially at the very base of the tongue ) they will last longer than you, ive been trying to break mine for years

First pair I had - after 8 months stitching came loose, sent them back, came back completely restored, have since bought another pair as spare-have had no problem since

Had mine for three years now, very comfortable and no issues as so far as breaks/leaks.
I treat them with wax every couple of months when they look like there about to dry. I’m very happy with them, more so considering I’m usually quite heavy on footwear wear-age.

How are people finding these currently? Longevity, leather cracking, general quality and value? In the market for new boots, but just checking what the current opinions are? I’ll be replacing Lowa hunters which have been excellent but the composite foam soles have started to degrade and crumble after 2.5 years which I’m not over the moon about so wanting something with a solid sole which won’t perish in that way....
I love mine, I've had them for about 7 years and had Meindl re sole them this year, expensive but not as expensive as a new pair.
They should be good for a few years more.

I have these and the shorter ankle version. Both going well for 4+ years. I replace the insoles fairly often and remove after use to air the boot. I use plenty of the meindl sports wax on both boots and that makes a real difference. I use a boot dryer if necessary but tend to let air dry if I can. This drying and plenty of sports wax I believe helps preserve the boot. No real wear on the soles. They are the best on the market in my opinion. Friends who use the same boot agree, others have tried harkila and others and circled back to these.

I hope you’re finger gets better soon, but thank you for the extreme test you’ve undertaken for my benefit.....!
Seriously though, day to day, I’m on flat sandy soils of East Anglia so rocks aren’t a major concern, and I’m guessing they have the same soles my last pair of Borneo’s had which I never had a problem with.
Thanks both for the feedback chaps.
Dovres are great, I've got a pair of the shorter Dovre GTX. They're a wide fit, with a nice roomy toe-box, try them with socks before you splurge the cash. HOWEVER. They're a stiff boot for rocky, difficult terrain. They give great support to ankles, and have a stiff sole. They are best suited to upland use, on heathery and rocky terrain, hence the high randing and stiff soles. I'd suggest that a high leg boot and stiff soles are going to beat up your feet unnecessarily in lowland application. They can actually be heavy and tiring to wear if you don't need the massive support. Meindl do other styles which are probably more suited to your proposed use. I had a pair of Meindl Guffert which are billed as a wide fit but with a cork and wool midsole/insole, and a more flexible outer vibram sole. They lasted several years of more or less daily use on tracks and arable land ( dog-walking, partridge shooting, woodland stalking) and the soles wore out more or less at the same time the Goretex sock failed. I was sorry to throw them away, but they'd had thousands of hours of use. If you don't need a wide fit, then consider another pair of Borneo.

If you can put up with a fractioantely shorter boot than the Douvre Extrems, Decathlon has a good deal on the (non-Goretex lined) Meindl Engadin: £199. Its also a really good boot.

Believe this or not I had a pair off the high leg boots I forgot the name anyway they started leaking so I contacted Meindl direct I told them I was unhappy and my boots which I’d wore for 3 years stalking only was leaking I was told to send them back for tests I had cleaned and treated the boots after use any how they gave me a new pair foc Now that’s good enough for me

Off topic but has your avatar any connection to WW1 Lovats Scouts, it looks similar.

Willowbank

Here’s my twopence worth, before shooting I was into hill walking and climbing 40yrs ago the leather boots were heavy and cumbersome, now without a doubt light is best, many of the synthetic materials are very good, My climbing boots are half the weight they were all those yrs ago and it does make a difference.
Boots are a big investment and I like the meindl brand for quality I’ve bought the meindl Meran they weigh in at 650g as opposed to 980g for the Dovre and they are wide fit, £100 less as well. Add a pair of gortex gaiters and my feet are still dry four yrs later, they get worn for walking the dog as well.
I’ve tried on the Dovre and without a doubt they are comfortable but I know what I’d rather have on my feet for a full day on the hill especially if I’m walking not been driven around.

Hate mine. I'm on third replacement pair due to toe rubber separating. Aside from that, the sole seems to be narrower than the footbed which causes me to roll on my ankles a lot. The sole is also very hard, meaning it can be very noisy walking on certain terrain. Really not sure why there is so much hype over these. Can see the advantage of a stiff hard sole for scrambling/alpine type use, but as a general stalking boot they are rubbish imo. If I had the money I would be binning them and going for something else.

Back