Mentors...but not of the certificate kind

Wills

Hi all,

I was wondering were to post this, as it is suitable to Training and Qualifications post..so it may get moved..

Anyway, I was thinking, who here has a mentor, guide or someone who has done a lot more than you and who you gained all your knowledge.

I know trial and error works to a point, but Im fortunate to have a chap who been stalking for over 40 years as a profession as mine.

Not only learning about deer species, but how the same species alters it's behaviour to suit the conditions they live in and wider knowledge about flora and forna. I could go on.

KR

Wills

norma 308

Met my old mentor in the pub turned out for both of us 15 yrs on we are great mates
I learnt so much and still do , no course could teach or be as critical as he has been hopefully one day I can do the same for a mad keen stalker
I had a mentor when I learnt to be a falconer more time now than I care to remember I wasn’t allowed to get my first hawk for over a yr !
Mentors have my seal of approval for what it’s worth
Norma

Smelly Yeti

Yep - extremely lucky In that my regular stalking colleague is also an AW who has given me countless support, advice and encouragement over the years. Quals are good to evidence meeting a pre designated knowledge standard but real world mentoring and coaching are where these skills are consolidated and experience gained. I hope someday to be able to repay my free ‘apprenticeship’ by being able to provide the same to another new stalker.

VSS

I have stalked with half a dozen different people, all bar one of whom are members of this site, and all have taught me something new. No mentoring as such, but every day is a learning day.

Tim.243

I learnt off my Dad about rough shooting,ferreting and fresh/sea fishing from the age of 12.

Those core skills I have just expanded on for deer,foxes, pigeons and ducks, walk slowly, keep quiet....etc

That coupled with the need to better the situation each time I go out.

Cheers Dad....

Tim.243

James0586

I agree everyday is a school day... I haven’t had a coach in that respect however as mentioned previously I learn from everyone I meet.

I take a bit from one a bit from another and then filter...

it would be great if there were more people wanting to take newbies less experienced out to show them the ropes....

I personally would accept this offer with open arms

Home Loader

I was quite luck I learned under my Father, and a team of 4 keepers and a team of beaters, who took a young questioning boy under their wings some 35 years ago!

I still see several of these gents regularly, And now provide them with venison!
I am now in the position I can and do take people out for their first steps and have several on the go at the moment.

I find the sharing of my experience very rewarding, the only issue I ever have is the folks that just want to shoot and are not interested in the rest of the process.

Wills

I learned a lot from may father and grandfather, as I was brought up with shooting. I brought this point up as I am with my "mentor". Yes, I have level 1 and 2, he taught me more..such as forestry planting, tree block lay outs, helped me with kit..what worked and what is pure bollox. Shot my first red with him some 15 years ago and see him every year since.

HappyHunter

Very fortunate to have someone take me under their wing. Quite simply I wouldn't be where I am now without the time, patience and knowledge they've given me. Everything about the permission from the agricultural workings to vermin control and deer management. Very fortunate and thankful. Consider them a good friend too.

Neil/carprover

The chance to have a mentor would be fantastic, you can only learn so much from a book you could get so much more from being out with someone to pass thier knowledge without even having a gun with you.

Moray Outfitting

Did a level1 a good few years ago. 4 guys were full time keepers. The fifth was a doctor just starting up stalking. At the end of the process he stood up and thanked us all as a group. We all looked at each other with a puzzled look. He then turned and said that he had learned more by listening to us talking about various situations that we had witnessed ,or learned, in connection with the questions on level1, than he would ever have reading it from a book. But remember guys, your way is how it works for you. It might not suit the next man. But neither are right or wrong or the only way to do it. J

Monkey Spanker

We should all aim to give back far more than we've ever received if we are to have a future.
Imagine if we all aimed to mentor at least 2 youngsters that might not otherwise be able to get into shooting? Our numbers would triple just like that!
I've mentored/trained more people that I care to remember now and probably got more satisfaction out of doing that, than doing it myself!
MS

jimbo1984

We should all aim to give back far more than we've ever received if we are to have a future.
Imagine if we all aimed to mentor at least 2 youngsters that might not otherwise be able to get into shooting? Our numbers would triple just like that!
I've mentored/trained more people that I care to remember now and probably got more satisfaction out of doing that, than doing it myself!
MS
But only if they pay for certs otherwise what’s the point eh ?

foxdropper

I’ve mentored several who all remain good mates ,all except my most recent student who I’m afraid won’t be getting any endorsement from me ,enough said .My own mentor was in his dotage when he showed me the ropes ,with an estate 22 hornet back then .The mentor system trumps any 3 day course by far but is looked down upon by some overnight experts .

Monkey Spanker

But only if they pay for certs otherwise what’s the point eh ?
No, on the contrary. Direct mentoring used to be viewed by firearms licensing as an alternative to doing DSC1. I would be named on a certificate as a dedicated mentor and once I was happy I wrote s letter to the police and the mentoring restriction would be lifted.
So why don’t you change the record ? MS

jimbo1984

No, on the contrary. Direct mentoring used to be viewed by firearms licensing as an alternative to doing DSC1. I would be named on a certificate as a dedicated mentor and once I was happy I wrote s letter to the police and the mentoring restriction would be lifted.
So why don’t you change the record ? MS
But you’d insist they do Dsc 1 though right otherwise there’s not a deer “ manager “