Mentors...but not of the certificate kind

foxdropper

No defence for what ? I’m insured as many without quals are too .
Due diligence is a matter of everyday life mate and no 3 day course will teach you that .
Like I’ve said countless times ,I’ve nothing against the course in conjunction with experience,just those who have used it to bypass the time spent system and now think they are a cut above those who haven’t .
I’ll ask again ,does the DSC cover the need to register as a food business ?.

Monkey Spanker

No defence for what ? I’m insured as many without quals are too .
Due diligence is a matter of everyday life mate and no 3 day course will teach you that .
Like I’ve said countless times ,I’ve nothing against the course in conjunction with experience,just those who have used it to bypass the time spent system and now think they are a cut above those who haven’t .
I’ll ask again ,does the DSC cover the need to register as a food business ?.
Yes of course it does! It is a basic piece of knowledge taught as part of the meat hygiene part!
To sell to a AGHE in England you need your large game handling certificate and MUST be registered as a food business! It's that simple!
MS

foxdropper

I'm afraid it is your post that I find extremely 'cringeworthy'!
Just because you've done it for 40 years and got away with it, doesn't mean you've been doing it right for that long! Also, without any quals, you are clearly selling deer illegally?
Maybe that's how you've been so lucky as there is no way of tracing anything back to you?
This kind of behaviour is exactly why venison is now likely to go from being a 'low risk' product to 'high risk' following a recent outbreak of Ecoli in Scotland traced back to venison. We are more than likely to see huge disruption in our EU export sales in the near future due to BREXIT. To then trash our home sales through negligence and the increased scrutiny over a high risk product (which will definitely lower the price of venison) should be a great concern for anyone of us that values or respects our industry.
You suggest above that some would suggest that holding DSC 1 "leads to a superior stalker as some would have us believe"? I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that it makes anyone a better stalker? What it does do though is provide the holder with a good underpinning knowledge of basic deer law, safety and firearms law, as well as an understanding and legally recognised qualification of how to put venison into the food chain which is clearly something you are currently lacking? Yes, DSC 1 course DOES highlight the requirement for Food Business Registration, and if you'd done it, you would have known that!
Just because you can't be arsed to do the job properly, your actions should not jeopardise the livelihoods of those that rely upon deer management and venison sales!
You may well have enough stalking to last you out, but your selfishness and arrogant stance could well ruin our industry for those that follow.
Well done!
MS
I’ve done nothing wrong in those years mate so don’t try to twist anything .Its only threads on here that bring it to the attention of those interested ,that underlines the fact we need the registration at all or all the DSC lads would have it .
Who’s selling deer without any quals mate ,I’ve had an ID for years ,gained through the small game and deer course ,an accepted form of ID .
Since it’s been brought to the fore I’ve now registered and await contact .

Doing the job properly lol .Having seen DSC holders cutting through the H bones of carcasses I’ll say no more .

You don’t know me or any thing about me but you have an opinion based on the fact I don’t have the DSC lol and probably never will .

Last edited:

foxdropper

Yes of course it does! It is a basic piece of knowledge taught as part of the meat hygiene part!
To sell to a AGHE in England you need your large game handling certificate and MUST be registered as a food business! It's that simple!
MS
I have meat handling cert and have now registered as a food business thanks to the thread on here .

Monkey Spanker

I have meat handling cert and have now registered as a food business thanks to the thread on here .
That's great, as learning has clearly occurred which is a good result.:thumb:
I'm also a huge critic of cutting through the H bone as it achieves nothing other than meat waste through unnecessary exposure.
You mention "threads on here that bring it to the attention of those interested" which can also be viewed as something often referred to in industry as Continued Professional Development (CPD) which is what is good about forums such as this. We should all learn new things constantly as it is how we progress. The day you stop learning should be the day you stop!
Regards,
MS

Rob-E

Interesting you (OP) ask this.
I have been mulling over putting up a mentor wanted ad in North Devon.
I did my DSC1 before I ever shot my first deer and whilst I left it feeling confident, I am incredibly grateful I had colonel there to take me out for my first deer. It was that experience that highlighted to me I had a long way to go and that a mentor whilst not needed would make things better.

philip

We should all aim to give back far more than we've ever received if we are to have a future.
Imagine if we all aimed to mentor at least 2 youngsters that might not otherwise be able to get into shooting? Our numbers would triple just like that!
I've mentored/trained more people that I care to remember now and probably got more satisfaction out of doing that, than doing it myself!
MS

MS that’s bang on the money, the best way is the proper way, guiding people through their first stages of deer stalking is invaluable to putting them on the right track, getting someone gradually through to grassing their first deer and gralloch, to see their face is worth it all

Long may it continue

Phil

Neil/carprover

Maybe there shoud be somewhere people could put their names to offer mentoring to new stalkers that like me would like to learn more hands on, i know its not all about the money but I'd be happy to cover cost weather it be cash or manual labour and im sure that there's more people than you'd think that would be the same as me. I have done dsc1 and it was informative and i learned alot from it but i know its just the starting point and i have lots more to learn. Here's to hoping someone might start a mentoring group.

Dexter

You clearly have no idea who I am, what I do or what I’ve ever done. It’s probably better that way, but you shouldn’t just make assumptions that make you look foolish.
MS
What the argument proves is that I definitely blocked one of the right people (5 blocked so far and it makes my enjoyment of this site so much greater) as I have no idea what has been said to cause this argument! MS, hover over their name and block them. They're not worth your time.

Last edited:

foxdropper

Is there a problem with that?
Not if you are using for personal consumption ,but selling to a dealer where hang times could be anything from 2 to 7 days then yes mate there is a problem .The meat dries ,cracks and goes brown in that area .If the vet inspection occurs within that period the carcass could be condemned .

Last edited by a moderator:

oldgregg

Not if you are using for personal consumption ,but selling to a dealer where hang times could be anything from 2 to 7 days then yes mate there is a problem .The meat dries ,cracks and goes brown in that area .If the vet inspection occurs within that period the carcass could be condemned .
Sorry but that is just not correct.

Some dealers prefer the aitch splitting, to aid cooling. Whether you believe that or not, that is for a different thread.

The meat inspector won't condemn for dried meat ( decompostion yes), how else would you mature meat!

Last edited by a moderator:

Glyn 1

Sorry but that is just not correct.

Some dealers prefer the aitch splitting, to aid cooling. Whether you believe that or not, that is for a different thread.

The meat inspector won't condemn for dried meat ( decompostion yes), how else would you mature meat!
Bit of a North/South divide on the aitch bone thing, most Scottish dealers seem to want it cut; most English ones don't but there are some exceptions. Personally I would never cut it unless a dealer insisted on it.

oldgregg

Bit of a North/South divide on the aitch bone thing, most Scottish dealers seem to want it cut; most English ones don't but there are some exceptions. Personally I would never cut it unless a dealer insisted on it.
Yes - agreed. However, it would not be condemn if it was. Therefore, there is no relevance if it is or isn't split by some on who has completed DSC.

foxdropper

Lol I know who did it mate ,he has DSC and he’s now been told not to do it .
Never sold in Scotland so can’t comment on that .

Last edited:

foxdropper

What I can say is the beasts I’ve shot in Scotland have never had aich cut in preparation for dealer .

oldgregg

Yes that is that specific game dealers preffered method, others may want it spilting. Either away, a meat inspector won't condemn. The game dealer may refuse to take it ....... that's different.