Mentors...but not of the certificate kind

Jesus youve not half changed your tune pal !
I don’t think I have at all? It’s just your blinkered and very poisoned perception fella. I actually preferred the mentoring approach, but not everyone has that luxury and the only way to start is with the DSC course. My own son was mentored by me from the age of 14. He’d shot about 50 by the time he eventually got his level 1 at the age of 16 which he needed contractually to cull on certain areas that I manage. I support any form training that supports safety and deer welfare. You seem to have a problem with that which probably says more about yourself? Your input to this site is quite sad really.
MS

I don’t think I have at all? It’s just your blinkered and very poisoned perception fella. I actually preferred the mentoring approach, but not everyone has that luxury and the only way to start is with the DSC course. My own son was mentored by me from the age of 14. He’d shot about 50 by the time he eventually got his level 1 at the age of 16 which he needed contractually to cull on certain areas that I manage. I support any form training that supports safety and deer welfare. You seem to have a problem with that which probably says more about yourself? Your input to this site is quite sad really.
MS
You support training because you make money from it your career is in training , and the only course there is is Dsc which you extoll at every opportunity ,
My input is sad ? I’m certain the free stalking and taking and helping folk out has really saddened some

You support training because you make money from it your career is in training , and the only course there is is Dsc which you extoll at every opportunity ,
My input is sad ? I’m certain the free stalking and taking and helping folk out has really saddened some
My career is in training military pilots? I help run 2 dsc 1 courses per year where my basic costs are covered. I have taken folks out on hundreds of dsc 2 stalks ALL FREE of charge including dozens of members on here.
What is your actual problem? Get help FFS!

My career is in training military pilots? I help run 2 dsc 1 courses per year where my basic costs are covered. I have taken folks out on hundreds of dsc 2 stalks ALL FREE of charge including dozens of members on here.
What is your actual problem? Get help FFS!
If you say so buddy !

You clearly have no idea who I am, what I do or what I’ve ever done. It’s probably better that way, but you shouldn’t just make assumptions that make you look foolish.
MS
I guess the interesting thing about this argument (apart from you two being entertainingly mean to one another) is that it highlights the fact that we all prefer to learn in very different ways. Some like the structure of a training course, some like to discover knowledge 'on the job', and others benefit from frequent injections of nuggets from a mentor. Personally, I like a blend of all three, but I am sure we are each predisposed to a particular preference and need to find our own way of getting better at what we do.

Kind regards,

Carl

You clearly have no idea who I am, what I do or what I’ve ever done. It’s probably better that way, but you shouldn’t just make assumptions that make you look foolish.
MS
Your exactly right ( again ) not a clue , maybe see you next week when I’m in great Barton
Atb jim

I guess the interesting thing about this argument (apart from you two being entertainingly mean to one another) is that it highlights the fact that we all prefer to learn in very different ways. Some like the structure of a training course, some like to discover knowledge 'on the job', and others benefit from frequent injections of nuggets from a mentor. Personally, I like a blend of all three, but I am sure we are each predisposed to a particular preference and need to find our own way of getting better at what we do.

Kind regards,

Carl
Exactly right , every day out stalking is a school day

Only started shooting a few years (3 years) ago and was lucky to land a load of farms and a chap with lots of experience to guide me from start to finish. His knowledge is not limited to shooting but much more about the countryside and the animals within it. Also the support of people on here should not go without a mention as I have picked up lots of ideas off here and from the discussions i read. Now with my DSC1 (thank you SD) I feel I have enough in the tool box to take others and pass on what I have learnt whilst recognising that there is still so much more to know. With an open ticket and now close to 100 deer grassed, well over 200 foxes, reloading my own ammo (basic but it works), hunting in Africa and loving every minute of it.

Unfortunately the DSC has been seen by some as a quick fix into the world of stalking,bypassing the years others have put in to obtain the trust to shoot on peoples land .Whether or not to do the course is up to the individual but it in no way leads to a superior stalker as some would have us believe .

Unfortunately the DSC has been seen by some as a quick fix into the world of stalking,bypassing the years others have put in to obtain the trust to shoot on peoples land .Whether or not to do the course is up to the individual but it in no way leads to a superior stalker as some would have us believe .

It does tell you the really basic facts about what you need to do in order to sell your carcasses which your years of experience didn't going by the other thread. If I was a landowner and someone I trusted to manage my deer was getting stuff like this wrong I would feel pretty let down and probably start looking for someone more qualified.

It does tell you the really basic facts about what you need to do in order to sell your carcasses which your years of experience didn't going by the other thread. If I was a landowner and someone I trusted to manage my deer was getting stuff like this wrong I would feel pretty let down and probably start looking for someone more qualified.

Ha ha last I heard the ID was THE way to sell your carcass .Does the DSC cover the food registration ?.Been selling deer for 40 years mate with no repercussions .
Never met a landowner that was concerned over the way deer were sold lol and never met one either that required anything other than a recommendation from another landowner .Yet again someone thinking they are better for a piece of paper lol ,cringeworthy .
For someone without the quals I’ve got plenty of stalking to last me out thanks .

Ha ha last I heard the ID was THE way to sell your carcass .Does the DSC cover the food registration ?.Been selling deer for 40 years mate with no repercussions .
Never met a landowner that was concerned over the way deer were sold lol and never met one either that required anything other than a recommendation from another landowner .Yet again someone thinking they are better for a piece of paper lol ,cringeworthy .
For someone without the quals I’ve got plenty of stalking to last me out thanks .

I guess you haven't heard of due diligence either but I bet your landowners and their insurers have. Ignorance is no defence.

I always think it's strange that these threads always seem descend to 'Experience v Qualifications'; surely the best solution is to have, or at least aspire to having, both? Who could argue against that?

I'm afraid it is your post that I find extremely 'cringeworthy'!
Just because you've done it for 40 years and got away with it, doesn't mean you've been doing it right for that long! Also, without any quals, you are clearly selling deer illegally?
Maybe that's how you've been so lucky as there is no way of tracing anything back to you?
This kind of behaviour is exactly why venison is now likely to go from being a 'low risk' product to 'high risk' following a recent outbreak of Ecoli in Scotland traced back to venison. We are more than likely to see huge disruption in our EU export sales in the near future due to BREXIT. To then trash our home sales through negligence and the increased scrutiny over a high risk product (which will definitely lower the price of venison) should be a great concern for anyone of us that values or respects our industry.
You suggest above that some would suggest that holding DSC 1 "leads to a superior stalker as some would have us believe"? I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that it makes anyone a better stalker? What it does do though is provide the holder with a good underpinning knowledge of basic deer law, safety and firearms law, as well as an understanding and legally recognised qualification of how to put venison into the food chain which is clearly something you are currently lacking? Yes, DSC 1 course DOES highlight the requirement for Food Business Registration, and if you'd done it, you would have known that!
Just because you can't be arsed to do the job properly, your actions should not jeopardise the livelihoods of those that rely upon deer management and venison sales!
You may well have enough stalking to last you out, but your selfishness and arrogant stance could well ruin our industry for those that follow.
Well done!
MS

Don't really understand why people need to argue... but hey ho, life goes on. I've never had a mentor as such, my old man taught me rifle safety from a very young age with an air rifle. He got me my own air rifle when I was 12, i already had a job in the hills on a fish farm and proceeded to do pest control and squirrel control on a shoot. That taught me what I needed to know, how to shoot, safety and so on. I won't lie, I did make cock ups like every one else, I shot a rat and didn't kill it out right and was devastated, it will stick with me forever. Since that moment, I've wanted to pay as much attention as I can and do what ever I can to minimise it happening again. Fast forward a few years, I shoot pretty much everything that's legal to shoot, deer to rats. I've since met a couple of people who have more experience than I, one of who I go out with frequently. I feel we share experience and tips, what works and what doesn't and so on. Some conversations have taught me more than what I could learn in a class room. On the flip side of that, I'm on my dsc2 so have my dsc1 and Mike at calton moor has taught me a hell of a lot probably without realising. Doesn't matter how you learn, as long as you do learn and can take whatever precautions you can to make a safe, accurate shot and to minimise suffering

Back