Merino base layer

gr1ffer

Big fan of merino base layers use them a lot I pretty much use a helly Hansen freeze and a smock for most stalking only adding layers when static or very cold

Toxster

Live in the stufff all year round. Endura Baa Baa is my out of summer choice (go a size larger than usual). Summer choice is the Montane merino/poly mix - cooler and never smells.

A J

Yep, I live in the stuff too. Can't beat it all year round. I've tried loads of brands, but I tried the MeCo layers from Rab this past summer and they were brilliant. Icebreaker have been my favourite winter base layer for years.

Vipa

Anyone use Merino base layer clothing, any good producers?:idea:

Ice Breaker... not the cheapest but probably the best.. look at the likes of Snow & Rock for it. They do various grades. I have a set, now 6 years old and as good as when it was new. Has seen me through severl cold snowy winter high seat sits (hours at a time!) and I have the lightest weight option!

The other HUGE advantage is it doesn't stink.. unlike man made stuff that creates & amplifies BO and nd is almost impossible to wash out... you can wear merino for days if not weeks between washes (you and the kit! lol) and it doesn't stink..
Awesome stuff, I wouldn't wear anything else as a base layer!

finnbear270

Steve,
I find the gear from Mountain Warehouse @ Cheshire Oaks is adequate for UK conditions.

Would you reckon it might make the grade standing in the Pfalzerwald, end of November, If so, I pass the Cheshire Oaks peeps twice daily, & would obviate the need to search far & wide.

A J

Would you reckon it might make the grade standing in the Pfalzerwald, end of November, If so, I pass the Cheshire Oaks peeps twice daily, & would obviate the need to search far & wide.

They do 2 winter Merino tops at Mountain Warehouse. One zip neck and a round neck. They're currently half price online. So probably the same price at the Cheshire Oaks outlet.

Moray Outfitting

Big fan - dont worry about the athletic fit, shows off my 6 pack to perfection.... ahem.

Ice breaker good, so is Helly and Smart Wool/ Wool power. Better half trying out a merino mix set that Aldi/Lidl ( never recall which is which ) had in as of last week - branded as cycling wear. Think it was £12.99.

​M & S another good source for much wool gear.

A J

What is your experience with regard to sizings / fit?, Steve.

I've not tried the Mountain Warehouse tops yet Steve, but they don't look too dissimilar from the Icebreaker base layers which are designed to be fairly close fitting, but they're not skin tight. Try one size up if you don't want them too snug.

jack

You get what you pay for.
M and S Merino is 32% wool and costs £22, how much of that wool is Merino is not specified.
http://www.marksandspencer.com/Long-Sleeve-Thermal-Vest-Wool/dp/B003X6CYMU?rrClickthru=Search

Rapha (cycling) is 100% Merino and costs £60 or £140 for a three pack.
The finest 100% merino base layers made for cycling | Rapha

The Mountain warehouse web site does not specify the %age Merino in the product.

Comment I read on a cycling forum are that the Icebreaker products are now made in China and are not as durable as the NZ made Icebreaker.

devon deer stalker

I use Icebreaker stuff, can't beat it, i did try a Rab version with some sort of Coco fibre, almost as good as pure merino but not quite.
But NEVER wash it in fabric conditioner, it ruins it.
Cheers
Richard