Merkel Eye Candy

Klenchblaize

Less is more!

The funky bolt treatment and nicely different flooplate artwork would be enough for me. Married with the lovely timber of course.

K

penta

I think you would miss many a shot, because you would be enticed with the woodwork and the engraving!!. If you like it, why-not.

Greener Jim

The engraving and wood are fantastic, shame they have been so expertly applied to such an ugly rifle.

Reactions: PKL

Hereford

Quite beautiful - reminds me of the British Six Sauer’s Ivythorne were selling.

I am slightly biased as I have a Helix Explorer - very standard compared to what you see above, however, I have never shouldered a rifle quite like it - from day one off the rack it felt like the most perfectly fitted gun as it comes up - quite extraordinarily natural.

Ugly? Come on Jim!!

enfieldspares

The stock isn't laid out that well. There's no strength tby the line of the grain going through the grip into the butt. Unless there's a big metal through bolt under that grip cap I'd be worried of a break. Just about where the thumb lies. This was a rifle I owned at one time, on the left, and one on the right, that I still own. You can see how the line of the grain on both is through the grip not across the grip.

Last edited:

PKL

The stock isn't laid out that well. There's no strength tby the line of the grain going through the grip into the butt. Unless there's a big metal through bolt under that grip cap I'd be worried of a break. Just about where the thumb lies. This was a rifle I owned at one time, on the left, and one on the right, that I still own. You can see how the line of the grain on both is through the grip not across the grip.

View attachment 121568
Put £10k on that being a Brno just after Galas joined them, pre-zg47 issue, post WW2, so vz24. (Small ring?). Call it 1947 or 48?

Freeforester

The engraving and wood are fantastic, shame they have been so expertly applied to such an ugly rifle.
To me it looks like it has been pressed in rather than engraved? When you see both methods shown side by side (saw what he did there) it becomes a bit more obvious?

Sako75Hunter

View attachment 121567View attachment 121568
Given the choice, I'd take either of these rifles over the Merkel any day of the week. The latter is just waaay too fancy for my taste, but each to their own!

BRYAN

I would rather have less fussy engraving and have it threaded. Actually I prefer my Sako 85.

enfieldspares

Thanks PKL for the input on, yes, my Czechoslovakian rifle (the one on the right). It's always been something I've never been sure exactly what it was as its for sure not a ZG-47. It's chambered in .270 WCF. I'll pull it from my safe and check the proof date but it's either 54 or 64 from memory.

Greener Jim

Ugly? Come on Jim!!
as a whole the Helix isn't bad looking but the action is far from easy on the eye, drawing attention to it with engraving doesn't help.
Fancy wood and a black action looks much better on the Helix, i'd say they should have properly blued it but one can't do that to aluminium.