Merkel Helix .270W load

Firefly

Hi,

Does anyone load for their Helix in .270W? If so could you point me in the right direction . Deer load.

Many Thanks.

Ff

Woodsmoke

I reload .270 for my A-Bolt, if this is any use to you? I load 54gr of H4831 over a 130Gr Speer SP with CCI primers, and full-length resize all brass (mostly Federal) Never exceed is in the region of 60gr, I believe (Lee manual) I find this to be a really sweet combination in my rifle. It might serve as a start?

Lateral

The H4831/4831sc were go to 270 powders, but given they will soon be unobtainable, I'd be choosing a powder that is easily available.

I'd be looking at either Reload Swiss RS60, or RS70. Start at circa 52gn, and work up. How long is your barrel ?

Woodsmoke

The H4831/4831sc were go to 270 powders, but given they will soon be unobtainable

Really? I had no idea. I reloaded a couple of hundred a year or so ago and haven't had to buy powder since. Guess I should look into finding a replacement :-|

Lateral

Really? I had no idea. I reloaded a couple of hundred a year or so ago and haven't had to buy powder since. Guess I should look into finding a replacement :-|

You can still find it, if you look, but as I understand it, most of the Hodgson powders are no longer imported. I'd just search for a few tubs, rather than having to start load developing again.