mid price fixed focus scope

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

Mungo

Does anyone know if any of the mid price scope manufacturers (Leupold, Bushnell etc) do a fixed lense in the region 6 X 42 to 8 x 50?

bewsher500

leupold do a 6x42 but that is about it until you get up into the higher fixed mag target scopes

meopta, S&B both do 6x42 for in and around £150-200 (good S&B gets more)
IOR are pricey,wouldn't call them mid range and they are rarer

don;t overlook the older Nikko Stirling 6x44 models (the proper Japanese glass before they went all combat and air rifle)
I just sold one for £60 and regretted it the moment I posted it!!

Bigboab29

Burris just finished producing the 6x40 on the fullfield range but u may still get one in the gun shops or second hand. Think at the end up optics warehouse were selling them for £150 optimate also do a 8x56 and 6x44 and I think there aroun the same price range I think there Japanese glass but pretty underrated

kuwinda

I think I'd be wary of the Leupold.

I've had a US made (and bought) 6x36 M8 for many years and had sterling service from it on several rifles up to 375H&H. I needed another scope for another rifle and at the time could'nt run to a Swaro or a Ziess so I ordered a Leupold 6X42 M8 from Sportsman. After sending two back I gave up and asked for my money back - both of them had reticles that were in pieces (and the oaf in the shop kept telling me 'no they can't be the reticles are etched in glass'???). I have no idea where they came from (maybe they were counterfeit?) but they were rubbish and nopatch on the original glass.

I bought a second hand Ziess 6X42 from Gregor MacLeod - yes just sent that back for fixing too - but no quibble and no cost.

Finch

I've got two Meoptas including an Artemis 6X42. Damn good little scope. Solid, crisp and bright with a nice fine reticle. I've used it on my .308 and I can't fault it. Its not in use now but its one of those scopes I wouldn't rush to sell. Its sure to come in useful.
Meopta do a couple of 7X56 scopes (why 7 and not 8 I don't know) and a 7X50 illuminated. I doubt you'd be disapointed with any of them.

Last edited:

Mungo

Thanks for the responses folks - very useful.

What's a reasonable price for a 2nd hand S&B 8x56?

redlab

£300-£350 second hand , a great investment

I paid slightly less when I started stalking, I keep meaning to get these 'all singing all dancing' scopes that cost upwards of a grand..... but Will it actually get me to shoot more deer... realistically I don't think so. my nice S&B has helped me account for many hundreds of deer over the years, Besides that if I cant shoot 'that' deer as the light is failing they will be there for another day.....

Monkey Spanker

What calibre are you sticking it on mate as that could influence your decision? The old Leupold M8 6x42 is a great scope, but it was designed for the .22 LR market and has the parallax set to about 50-60m. There are loads of older fixed power out there such as Pecar Berlin, Docter, Lisenfeld which are all decent scopes at an affordable price. Meopta 7x50 or a Hungarian S & B 8x56 are both great stalking scopes.
MS

User00003

Mungo,

if you bring me £300 I can bring my my almost new 6x42 S&B to Edinburgh on Monday?...:D (30mm)

perfect for both rifles!

Cyres

7x50 Meopta, S/H you might be able to get an illuminated one. Excellent glass and bomb proof, got to be best value for money scope on the market.

D

splash

I've just bought a used Swarovski 6x42 for £250 so but second hand, i have two S&B 8x56's and the 6x42 is on a par with them for less money.

Mungo

Mungo,

if you bring me £300 I can bring my my almost new 6x42 S&B to Edinburgh on Monday?...:D (30mm)

perfect for both rifles!

That's a very tempting offer - let me think about it! May have to do some negotiation with the Boss...

2130martin

Have previously had S+B 8x56 on both .308 and .223 rifles and are excellent for stalking and lamping and only cost around £400 tops...currently have one in 6x42 on .22rf also very good....

caorach

Lots of good suggestions, the bottom line with buying less expensive scopes is that you can have a second hand, top quality, big name fixed mag scope for very little money. Even better news is that it will always be worth at least what you paid for it, I bought my 8X56 S&B for £250 and could probably sell it for more now. So, you can have top quality glass at zero long term cost!! You just don't get a better deal than that these days.

My view is that the Hungarian S&Bs are probably best value second hand in that they tend to be less expensive than some others to buy but they offer equal quality (some might say better quality) and don't lose any money over time. Other makes will also hold their money but you will probably have a little more initial outlay which it sounds like you a trying to avoid.

UK Outfitters