Midland Game Fair - Weston Park

I have not been to this for at least six or so years. It wasn't much then...what's it like now?

I am, specifically, looking for good, reasonable price, brown leather shooting shoes (not boots) and maybe some proper plus fours. And to get the odd box of cartridges to try before I order a slab for the season.

Also I've, maybe, a decent late 1970s Browning Auto 5 to sell. So will I be wasting my time or is there more than rows of rustic house name plaques, cheap kitchen knives, and "tat"?

Who's been last year and what was it like?

Well I went and i saw. Came back with brown leather shooting shoes. Loads of them. £ 55.00. Proper plus fours? No. Lots of "breeks" ranging from £35 up to well over £100 and in tweed, moleskin and etc., etc..

Cartridges? Not a chance. No Eley, no Lylvale, no Gamebore, no Hull Cartridge in fact no one showing cartridges and no one (that I could see) selling them either. Didn't see any "gun makers" but just gun sellers and gun importers. Even so no Elderkin, no Giles Marriott no "Matched Pairs" no Jason Abbott.

None of the three London makers, nor Boxall and Edminston, nor Longthorne and neither a Westley Richards nor a William Powell. But I did see Mauser and Rigby I think and Norman Clarke.

Leica and Hawke Optics were there but no Zeiss and no Swarovski.

I had a complimentary ticket. If I had paid £20 I'd have been very disappointed.

Last edited:

375 mag

I was there today not the biggest game fair but plenty to see and it was red hot. I purchased a new leather belt and a coat for the dog, i was also after a Beretta but no GMK or Beretta stand ive about given up trying to buy a Beretta.

S

Spaniel

I have just got back, like Enfieldspares, I was disappointed. Arrived at 07.45 paid me £20. The mist came down and it turned chilly standing around, 'cos the organisers decided not to let anybody in until 08.30!! Will I make the 200 mile round trip next year? No!

1, I was after a Swarovski bino cover. Couldn't see anything. I'll buy on line.
2, I was after nice deer hunter jacket for winter. Sad to say, cheaper on line.
Gunmakers row was a nice big banner, and that was it.
The usual tat was available, but I suppose this ads to the modern game fair.

I did however purchase a nice Damascus neck knife.

However as a positive it was a nice day out, amongst like minded people.

Also so for the life of me, why do people drag puppies round. I understand the need to humanise them, but on a hot day surely the best place is at home in the kennel.

Spaniel

zaitsev

I live 30 minutes up the road from the midland. I had the offer of free tickets and still didn't go.

the lack of mainstay exhibitors could we'll be down to previous losses through theft and the characteristics of the demographic who attend.

its a sad day when you don't want to take your family to what is -ostensibly- a family event.

rodp

I live 30 minutes up the road from the midland. I had the offer of free tickets and still didn't go.

the lack of mainstay exhibitors could we'll be down to previous losses through theft and the characteristics of the demographic who attend.

its a sad day when you don't want to take your family to what is -ostensibly- a family event.
That's a very polite way of saying what we all know :thumb: Lot of dags there as well I would imagine :lol:

zaitsev

Absolutely. It needn't be spelled out.

sadly it appears that the organisers are unable or unwilling (most likely unable) to do anything to resolve the problem.

fairground rides, 'attractions' and tat of every description bring the game fair down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

if the intention is to have a game fair then have a policy to keep everything related to field sports. Otherwise the event becomes what it has today: a rather sad assemblage of the aforementioned tat and the brave few who still make the effort to attend.

rodp

Absolutely. It needn't be spelled out.

sadly it appears that the organisers are unable or unwilling (most likely unable) to do anything to resolve the problem.

fairground rides, 'attractions' and tat of every description bring the game fair down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

if the intention is to have a game fair then have a policy to keep everything related to field sports. Otherwise the event becomes what it has today: a rather sad assemblage of the aforementioned tat and the brave few who still make the effort to attend.

Can't knock the fairground rides, some of those at the game fair are my customers, and a few are close friends. Don't get the ones with the dags and the fairground operators mixed up, very different and dislike each other.

old man

enfieldspares. I am sure Norman Clark would make you a special?
Good job it was just for a meet up today although to be fair some of the ring events were excellent.

The Leica and Blaser/Sauer stands were very informative and well manned.

Certainly lots of tat, fairground stuff and a few roamers evident but Police in evidence towards the middle to end of day.

Worth the entrance, not really except for the company.

Ah, well, Old Man, being in Leicestershire it's ony an half hour to Norman Clarke so I know him well enough. It's the folks that aren't local...the big ammunition loaders...the importers of stuff that I had hoped to see. And didn't find present.

paul o'

Was there yesterday it was a shell of past years gunmakers ? yeah done that in 5min none of the old face's had one good deal on a pair of MSA pro £110 inc gel replacement cups , and it was my lads first chance to have a go at clays with the BASC team lad hit over 50% so both were happy bunnys View attachment 74474

View attachment 74475

When I first went to Weston Park, some thirty years ago it took a full HOUR to walk (down one side and up the other) gunmakers' row and it extended from where you entered the fair site to down past Weston Park House. Now, as said, other than the sign you'd have been hard put to realise it.

Last edited:

zaitsev

Can't knock the fairground rides, some of those at the game fair are my customers, and a few are close friends. Don't get the ones with the dags and the fairground operators mixed up, very different and dislike each other.
Ive no problem with the guys who run the fairground rides etc per se. I'm also aware that the two crowds don't mix. It's more the fact that game fairs have become something other than field sports oriented events. Some commentators will cite financial expediency for this diversification. I'm not sure myself and I don't have the answers. However I'd certainly part with some shekels if a revised game fair format promised a purely field sports oriented event with all the main players, room for the smaller exhibitor at facilitative pitch prices and good security.

philip

Bit of a sad day guys, I couldn't make this year due to work commitments, sounds like it has had a downward turn. Particularly as the main runners on the gun traders were in low numbers, probably a good reason, the pitch prices were pretty high I heard. That may have kept a few traders away, I normally get all my ferreting kit every year at this one.looks Like I'm going internet shopping this year

I hope it survives

atb

phil

Cannot understand all the moaning.
'Cos those of us of "a certain age" know it from when, like "Wagon Wheel" biscuits it was bigger and better. But the Spitfire did add value....I had never seen one for that long and for that sort of display. But as a "Game Fair" no it was a disappointment.

cjm1066

A group of us attended and enjoyed, a larger cookery demo was welcome,looks like they are moving upmarket which is welcomed.

Lots of bargains. Yes fewer gunmakers, nice look at but above my budget. But lots of guns to buy.

Expecting to attend next year.

A group of us attended and enjoyed, a larger cookery demo was welcome,looks like they are moving upmarket which is welcomed.

Lots of bargains. Yes fewer gunmakers, nice look at but above my budget. But lots of guns to buy.

Expecting to attend next year.
Hi Chris,
Hope you and Grebe are well. We got your phone message but as we had been away for the week we did not pick it up untill the Saturday afternoon on our return. Then I found out that I had lost your mobile number when I tried to call you. I think you are right in that it looks like this may be on the way up again after a few troubled years and good luck to it. On the Sunday we saw no sign of the issues that have clouded this event over the last few years.
There certainly was plenty of guns to buy if you felt that way inclined and my mate picked up a realy nice CZ rimmey with scope sling and brand new sound mod for the princely sum of £250, they then offered him a glass of cider and gave him a new baseball cap. Bargain! Drop us a pm with your no please Chris and we will tie up next year, would have been good to see you.

Moppy76

I think ink you're right, it's been on the cards for some time, the CLA was the beginning of the end perhaps. Only so many times you can rape the Golden Goose.