Mincing machine / meat grinder question

Antonyweeks

Hi
So I've been butchering my own deer and using a small mincing machine borrowed off a friend. However, its tiny and regularly clogs up which is a pain. Plus the aluminium is dark and old. Just wondereed what peoples opinions were. Do I go for a Kenwood style one for about £60 or something better. I know diddly squat about mincing machines and online searches seem to throw up hundreds of chinese ones...

I have used one of these for a while, fly's through the meat, doesn't seem to clog.
£99 on Amazon, very impressed.

Duronic MG301 Electric Meat Grinder Mincer Burger, Sausage, Mince and Kibbe Maker

Have a look on catakwik, I got the 112kg an hour mincer for around 65?, sounds like a jet engine but minces like a dream, oh, and has sausage attachments also.

I burnt out a kenwood motor with mincing! Lakeland do one for about £100, it's fine for a roe - keep the parts chilled and the meat chilled. But, it's speed is too high and you do get a wet mince. Proper commercial mincers are slow grinders. A hand mincer may do a better jpob on small quantitites.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about a fallow as I've now done a red pricket and a fallow buck. Probably a few kilos of mince for each one. I also assumed the mincer would chop up the fascia bits too but they kept clogging the machine. So I learned pretty quickly to remove all this stuff!

Andrew James Mincer. Works great, no problems and I tend to mince everything except the backstrap. Around £80 mark.

Buffalo, expensive but fantastic and unbelievably quiet.

The end 👍

However in the beginning I had a £70er and it did the job, regularly clogged with silverskin and the noise drove me mad but it did the job.

Is the purchase a quick fix or a longer term solution and investment (in your hearing/sanity)?

Last edited:
I used to have a cheap older one that plugged up.
Mostly due to the plate having too small holes (6mm).
Upgraded to a Tritacarne #12. Lot more powerfull.

Buffalo all day, can do 1/4 ton an hour if i remember rightly, obviously not tested that yet! Does a whole roe buck in about 4 mins though, quiet, never had a hint of clogging yet after 30ish carcasses( mainly roe, few fallow),
All washable parts are dishwasher safe so no black alloy.
Made the mistake of buying a cheap one first, wish i saved the time and got the buffalo first off

Reactions: jb1
Buffalo all day, can do 1/4 ton an hour if i remember rightly, obviously not tested that yet! Does a whole roe buck in about 4 mins though, quiet, never had a hint of clogging yet after 30ish carcasses( mainly roe, few fallow),
All washable parts are dishwasher safe so no black alloy.
Made the mistake of buying a cheap one first, wish i saved the time and got the buffalo first off

Had mine over 8 years now, its done allot of Munties, loads of Piggies and a fair few bits of Beef, bought spare plates and blades but not used the blades yet. Having used some big industrial Hobart meat grinders this is a brilliant piece of kitchen equipment that will last a lifetime.

Thats what your paying for, longevity and reliability.

Andrew James one but I think they've gone out of business. Done lots of deer with it, but when it goes fut I would spend a bit more. It helps if the beef is well chilled before you mince it.

Had mine over 8 years now, its done allot of Munties, loads of Piggies and a fair few bits of Beef, bought spare plates and blades but not used the blades yet. Having used some big industrial Hobart meat grinders this is a brilliant piece of kitchen equipment that will last a lifetime.

Thats what your paying for, longevity and reliability.
I bought my buffalo in 2006 and still using the original plates and blades. Its a beast of a machine and never let me down and its ground some tonnage over the years. Worth every penny and more, I got mine through Nisbets they still do offers on them occasionally.

Just checked how much i paid, £340, i remember having that back in sold sausage's in the local, and some.

Buffalo are a great machine and last a lifetime, I have one and the one I use for dog meat is an absolute antique Butcher boy, it would mince a car, but the chute extractor is broken off leaving me unable to pull the chute off the front (Hence why i got it cheap) so its a great machine but difficult to clean easily.

another vote for the buffalo

unbelievable quiet and just works !

if thats too expensive , then for less but not much ....weschenfelders full stainless head trespade job is good but noisy

my tresapade been inbox ever since i jumped at a new buffalo on offer .

what reall y helps as Freeforester has said is meat prep ....remove as much of silver skin as practicable possible and cut your meat into strips where you can that drop straight in & dont require pushing down the feed tube to the wormscrew.... & get your meat really cold even slighlty/ touch frozen .

do that and wont need to use stuffer tube just feed as wormscrew clears

Paul

Lakeland do recon units i paid £50 twelve month warranty just good enough for roe sausage nozzle inc. prep is the key.

Back