Minimum Calibre for Night Shooting Scotland?

Wheesht!

Hi,

As above, what's the minimum calibre specified for night shooting currently?

I've read the SNH Best Practice guidance and can find no mention of it.

It came up in conversation today and neither of us was sure of the answer.

Thanks.

Wolverine

It is .270Win, it would be detailed in the licence.
Where?
And
Where does it state lawfully a minimum calibre is to be used apart from The Deer (Firearms etc)(Scotland)Order 1985?
There is NO minimum calibre stated on an authorisation.

bogtrotter

Where?
And
Where does it state lawfully a minimum calibre is to be used apart from The Deer (Firearms etc)(Scotland)Order 1985?
There is NO minimum calibre stated on an authorisation.

I always believed it was .270 but can't find anything that actually states minimum calibre, but this is what I have found out of date admittedly.

Red Deer Commission publication , Night shooting 1986

Red, Sika(and Red Sika crosses) and Fallow
Rifle capable of firing ammunition of 130 to 150 grain soft nosed bullets with a muzzle velocity of not less than 2450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of not less than 2250 foot/lbs, If there is any doubt about the formula prescribed above any reputable supplier or manufacturer or the Red Deer Commission should be consulted.

Roe Deer
Rifle capable of firing ammunition of not less than 100 grain soft nosed bullets with a muzzle velocity of no less than 2450 feet per second and a muzzle energy of not less than 1750 foot pounds.
This combination of rifle and and bullet gives a performance which is similar to or greater than a .243 and is the same as laid down by the firearms order for shooting Red ,Sika and Fallow deer in daylight.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I think that the minimum .270 is a FC condition in relation to their leases. The SNH authority has 11 sub clauses/conditions and no specific mention of calibre is made, the only mention of firearms is that their safe use is the responsibility of the nominated controller, condition 10, other than that the code of practise for shooting deer at night will be complied with, condition4.

John

Wolverine

I think that the minimum .270 is a FC condition in relation to their leases. The SNH authority has 11 sub clauses/conditions and no specific mention of calibre is made, the only mention of firearms is that their safe use is the responsibility of the nominated controller, condition 10, other than that the code of practise for shooting deer at night will be complied with, condition4.

John
Bang on John:thumb: