MITSUBISHI SHOGUN SPORT GLS DIESEL .. thinking of buying

private fraser

Does anyone have experience of these?.

I haven't been to see it yet ... 2.5 diesel 2003, 70,000 miles, full service history, one previous owner, £2995.

Informed opinions please.

Thanks,

​fraser

smullery

Got the 3ltr Petrol and it's a great motor.

Had it three years and it is now coming up to 90,000. 10 years old now.

Zero problems with it in my ownership.

​Stan

widu13

Good reliable, trouble free motors. Not the best on fuel but no worse than an "average" 4x4

pablo.222

got the very old model of this from 1992. done 145k and still no problems. little bit of welding was needed not long ago but nothing machanical. the odd set of brake pads and service is as much as ive had bother with. touch wood. you wont go far wrong with one thats for sure.
Thanks,

limey

Had one for almost 12 years great workhorse new exhaust was the most costly thing in all that time apart from usual brake pads etc.
Probably be getting another one soon, but to be honest the thing is still running well

Rake Aboot

Just bought one (warrior) to replace my Pajero (7yrs hard work) Brilliant motors.
Worth haggling for that one bud

private fraser

Thanks for all the replies guy's, it's looking like a go-er.
I've read that, in general, turbo's tend to go around the 70,000 mile mark, any comments there?.

Rake Aboot

Is this the one in Edinburgh ?
The ad on the bay states £2695, and the door strip needs replaced, so haggle even more, other than that it looks pretty tidy
Turbos aren``t a worry, it the usual story with big turbo diesels, head gaskets, but nothing worse than any other big 4x4
around mid 20`s mpg, great off road, and on road, plenty room comfy,

widu13

I got rid of my Pajero (same engine/running gear) at 79K- no turbo trouble.

Only problem I had was that when the timing belt was done the cheapskate SOB didn't change the balance belt. It broke at about 76k, wrapped around the timing belt which pulled that off, valves and rockers all over the place. It cost £119 for a garage to put a recon on. It was just as sweet after. I often wish I didn't get rid of it.

Malxwal

Make sure the engine is not overheating or pressurising the cooling system in any way at all, as these engines are prone to head gasket failure and cracked cylinder heads. I have seen literally hundreds of these cylinder heads, and the majority of them that are removed for head gasket problems fail a pressure test.

Ian Christie

Make sure you check the chassis I had one second hand for two years .on the second mot the garage found a bit of damage back l/h side of the chassis and found it was all rotten . so give the chassis a good thump with a hammer shaft to make sure its ok. my replacement is perfect. the owner used the old one for putting boats in water that was not on the advert of shogun for sale. rest of the motor was perfect even at 137,000 miles
all the best
​Ian