Mod. Ban.

i imagine that the club has to inform hse and that as a moderator is given on health and safety grounds, hearing protection they will need to explain why and on what grounds they have chosen to ban moderators and who will pay compensation for members hearing loss? very dodgy ground IF THE MODERATORS ARE BANNED
I this instance it’s one particular make that’s been banned.
All firearms used at the club can be fired without moderators.
Hearing protection is obligatory on the firing point.
Ken.

Being consumable is part of the problem with the fact a variation can take so long people don't bother and hang on to mods that really should be in the scrab bin.
The good thing with a T8 is with its size and weight it makes a handy cosh.

Being consumable is part of the problem with the fact a variation can take so long people don't bother and hang on to mods that really should be in the scrab bin.
The good thing with a T8 is with its size and weight it makes a handy cosh.
Good thing with a T8 you can silver solder any pin holes where the Ally Coke Cans go in the bin....

With todays WD40 you might be making things worse . I have seen wd40 ( of today) turn steel to orange rust , over night !
After twenty odd years I think I would have noticed such a thing. Turn up at range - shoot endless rounds through Utra and T8s, go home, quick spray of WD40, leave til next outing, repeat….
🦊🦊

I started with T8s because there wasn’t much choice that I remember.
Both mine rusted from the inside to out and that was using WD40.
Perhaps a complete dunk and dry might have made them last longer.
I did read somewhere that they were intended for military use and as such were consumables.
Mine certainly got consumed.
Feel sure the stainless Utra will last a long time.
Ken.

i imagine that the club has to inform hse and that as a moderator is given on health and safety grounds, hearing protection they will need to explain why and on what grounds they have chosen to ban moderators and who will pay compensation for members hearing loss? very dodgy ground IF THE MODERATORS ARE BANNED
Hearing protection mandatory at our club when on firing point.
Ken.

I doubt the Health & Safety Executive would be interested as they delegate the majority of their work to local authorities and only get involved when death or serious injury are involved, or with regard to especially high risk premises.
The local authority will tell you to review your risk assessment and manage the risk by putting in place appropriate measures and procedures. You could argue that the club has already done this by identifying the risk (a particular make of sound moderator) and removing it from use.
Id buy a separate steel mod to save my stallon from the range shot count. However it's the variation game that stops me and I assume most people changing and acquiring mods more often. Stupid situation.
Allegedly changing .

That welding was not a smart move. he will have covered the hole but ended up with a big heat effected zone that could lead to a far bigger safety issue !

I don't there's much of a safety issue. Plenty HAZ's in a T8 already due to its welded construction.

Sure the literature with mu Utra says to use WD40 inside it.
Ken.
They might well as it is a household name but its changed and likely has had many different owners over time and likely had various different formulations . I wont have it in the workshop any more might be a decade ago , maybe more it started turning steel parts rusty turning machine tables and such orange much faster than just doing nothing . There are way better products from many other brands

I don't there's much of a safety issue. Plenty HAZ's in a T8 already due to its welded construction.
Heat effected areas (HAZ ) from this type of welding is very low, due to the speed of the process . look at structural tubular sections used in construction they have similar. But Corrosion on such sections has lead to a heck of a lot of buildings, rigs etc etc to be demolished .
I have a T8 from the first batch Peter Jackson brought in , its mint inside , yet i have seen many with holes from corrosion. Trying to think how old that is, perhaps getting on high teens or 20 years ?
Bring to room temp and then spray ( with a good moisture disperser in and out ) put it in a separate safe with no cold or damp spots is all i have done . Its not a fantastic design compared to my proffered MAE but the reflex and the Husher where all there was .

From what I can see of it, you pay your money and take your choice with mods. Aluminium or alloy types are lighter for sure but (in my opinion) are less robust and have a higher failure rate, especially if used hard or with hot loads. Steel on the other hand is heavier, more robust and expensive - but lasts a lot longer and will put up with more abuse.

As for the squirt treatment, WD40 or otherwise I’ve been told by professional stalkers to leave them well alone as well as to lightly spray with WD40. So who knows??

I make a point of drying them well and use a tiny squirt of the specific Napier mod spray. Seems to work.

Not a mod ban at all
Manufacturer ban yes, older model M###M.

Muzzle brake ban yes.
If you experience the shockwave going through your upper body whilst shooting prone next somebody shooting many shots with a brake fitted on the next lane with a .308 it's not really fun.
The bloke behind the trigger is fine, he does not experience this, his neighbours do.
If you are man enough, just shoot it without the brake, or if you are obviously a women like myself shoot it with a mod.
If you need to look super ego tactical for the 3 people with little winkies that are in your circle, probs go and find some real world engagement in the Ukraine.

I've used Husher s/mods (alloy) and found them lighter, easy to clean, flexible (can accommodate different calibres and can be "built-up/extended for larger calibres). And they don't fit back over the barrel. Not sure if they are still available or not, but no baffles and V V easy to clean. No "ting" when fired and no need for an outer cover to hush the ting. The original designer, Gerry Lapwood was a v long standing shooter both military and civilian and came up with the idea of internal design to circulate the gasses within the S/Mod before exiting much reduced sound.

Back