mod fail

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Corrosion would not do that. More likely blockage, badwelding on the mod, or if its a mod you can take apart its not been reassembled properly.

RHE

I hope your friend was ok, must have been quite a bang!
Along with others I'm sure, I would like to know all the details as to exact cause, since so many of us now use moddy's.

long_range_rob

Did the baffle stack go downrange? If so then it may well be due to internal failure, misalignment after cleaning or misalignment due to parts loosening during use.

tozzybum

deffo looks blockage .the huge tear at the back is where the gasses escaped.small bulge at the front massive tear open at the back is the release for the pressure.guessing someone had a mud plug blocking the exit and the build up ripped the seam apart .send it back get it tested but it looks like a blowblack did the do,the welded seam has let go .

bennyblanco

Whilst its silly to speculate on how it failed without seeing the remains this video might give a clue- Sonic Silencers on Vimeo

They have mounted steel tubes in the center of each aluminium baffle, I wonder if one worked loose?
I did have a play with a sonic 45 but it felt a bit cheap so I went with the ase utra.

smullery

Best "blow up" I've seen was a .270 barrel that hadn't been shot for two weeks. Left in a slip inside a gun room in October in Northumbria after cleaning.

When next fired it bulged and split about eight inches from the crown.

Turned out a wasp had used it to overwinter. The cocoon it spun was enough to provide a seal with the bullet.

Now, we all know to check the barrel is clear but not many do it on a dark morning.

Stan

rodp

Best "blow up" I've seen was a .270 barrel that hadn't been shot for two weeks. Left in a slip inside a gun room in October in Northumbria after cleaning.

When next fired it bulged and split about eight inches from the crown.

Turned out a wasp had used it to overwinter. The cocoon it spun was enough to provide a seal with the bullet.

Now, we all know to check the barrel is clear but not many do it on a dark morning.

Stan
If it had been a .22lr then no problem, they're made to fire stingers :rolleyes: