Mod stuck

tom

I might be buying a rifle that has a moderator stuck on it ?
apparently the chap that had it before stuck it on with lock tight ?
any advise on getting it off ?
how much would it cost to get a gun smith to take it off ?
its not a overbarrel mod its on the end ,
Thanks

Don't buy the rifle. If he is dumb enough to loctite a moderator onto a muzzle, I doubt he has cared fastidiously for the rest of the rifle. Look elsewhere.

Heat will release loctite.

Kind regards,

Carl

good evening,oh i dont know, you may only lose an inch or so of barrel ,the rifle smith may cut off and rethread and crown but i bet the super glued scope into mounts onto rifle will be a bugger and that extra light trigger with the piece of wire glued on the sear is a beauty BUYER BEWARE!!!!!,walk away walk away now run before you get your fingers badly burnt. this rifle COULD become very expensive

All of the above...............however if you’re intent on buying this rifle then soak it in a bucket of diesel for about 4/5 days and then try and get the the mod off. Or alternately walk away and if you want to buy a second hand rifle do so off a shooter who looks after his rifles and who you trust.
bryn

Regardless of cost, its going to fill a slot for that calibre which will be a pain to resolve all round if the previous owner has done other silly things too.

Begs the question why it was glued on in the first place...

good evening,price would be a consideration because if the moderator has been on the barrel a while there will be a good chance the crown is rusty and pitted so the accurancy will have reduced and the thread may be damaged,so chop and recrown and rethread £150+ i would think and even then the rifle may not group very well walk away but then again rifle smiths need to make a living

Sounds like one not to bother with. Why is the moderator glued on? As said above, I would think the chance of corrosion at the end of the barrel will be high. If someone is prepared to do this with the moderator, what else has been done to it? If you’re adamant you want it, get it looked at first?

I would be very worried to take it on. Unless you factor in the cost for getting the mod off, probably rethreading, possible work on rifle and maybe a new mod, this might turn out to be an expensive project.

You'll only be guardian of this rifle for a period of time, and at some point will want to move it on.
Much easier with one that arrives to you in good nick, than a complete basket case which you spend twice the buy price getting into reasonable order

Having never heard of anyone having glued a mod on, I would thought it more likely the mod is actually stuck due to carbon build up, but either way there is one thing for sure, if the mod has not been removed, the rifle has definitely not been cleaned properly which would without doubt have shortened the barrel life

Bottom line for me would be to see how it prints on target with your own eyes. If the seller won't let you watch it shoot a group walk away.

If it does group I'd even so want to be certain the trigger and or safety wasn't mucked up.

Lastly I want to check if there was any way no one else couldn't sell me the same thing elsewhere!

Might find the action is glued to the stock as a bedding job! :doh:
With a mod left on like that not only will the crown be most likely knackered the barrel will probably have had the mods corrosive gasses working its magic too!

Back